PDA

View Full Version : Now I need help

EXPEDAL
12-23-2006, 08:13 AM
MY stringers run the full length of my 79 hawaiian, however I have a section approx 2 feet that is partially rotted.Can I splice a stringer and if i can what is the correct procedure.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-23-2006, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't do it. There is nowhere near the strength in the seams, no matter if they are angled or not, that there is in the unbroken wood grain. There may be a way with certasin modern adhesives, but I wouldn't do it.

b's sanger
12-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Spend the time and do it right. Peace of ming is priceless on the water. My 2 cents.

steelcomp
12-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Sure you can, and the joint will be stronger than the wood itself. Couple that with covering it in fiberglass, and there's no need to replace the whole stringer.
It's all in the prep work.

EXPEDAL
12-23-2006, 03:01 PM
I plan on trying the splice and then cap the stringer from the transom to just in front of engine with a stainless steel cap for the engine mounts to bolt thru. The Stringer is not bad where the exsisting engine mounts are located.

67weimann
12-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Do you mean, replace the section of rotted wood, reglass it, and then put a SS cap over? In other words, a rail kit?

EXPEDAL
12-23-2006, 03:35 PM
yes I figured a rail kit wood help spread the load of my 496 on the stringers. How ever after consulting other fiberglass experts Im leaning to gut the stringers and replace all three. Something about cry only once. ha ha

67weimann
12-23-2006, 03:42 PM
yeah, If your gonna do it, I personally would replace the entire length. Hope it all works out for you.

BOOGEYMAN
12-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Nothing wrong in splicing in a new section! No different than what we do with frames or floors in the bodyshop at work, like was mentioned earlier it is all in the prep work itself!! Take your time do it right and it will be stronger than when it was new.
Travis.

UBFJ #454
12-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Once you splice the replacement piece in, cover the stringers and the floor between them with 10 ounce carbon fiber/kevlar using epoxy resin and the bottom will be stronger than the day it was originally layed up ... the carbon fiber/kevlar matte is pricey, but, definately worth the price in terms of strength.

OverKill
12-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Are you sure just a peice of the stringer is rotted. Perhaps you splice and dice just to find out you have more rotting on it's way. There is never an easy button to push with this hobby, just spend some extra time and put new wood in. If you do your homework you will find the epoxys and resins of today are better than they were 30 years ago. If it were me that's what I would have my sites set on, no funny stuff.:idea: