PDA

View Full Version : What is fair price for 1983 19ft Cougar tunnel V-drive ?

RUNWME
05-13-2003, 12:59 PM
A friend is wanting to sell his 1983 cougar vdrive tunnel for 3500 less engine or 6500 complete with low time 477 chevy GPS at 90 Mph.
No cracks or repairs, but interior and exterior is faded. Boat hasnt been in the water in 2 years but engine had been cranked every 6 months.
This has straight drive and no reverse (is that common?) Do any come with transmissions in them?
Thank you
David

voodooCanoe
05-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Cougar v-drive makes for a very cool boat. Not too many around. I have only seen 1 in person. He was with Frazier Valley Drag Boats in Canada. For the times I have seen it run it was very impressive. Price sounds right. Would like to see pictures!

waterloged
05-13-2003, 05:06 PM
If it was near me I would be interested in it. :D

GofastRacer
05-13-2003, 07:55 PM
RUNWME:
A friend is wanting to sell his 1983 cougar vdrive tunnel for 3500 less engine or 6500 complete with low time 477 chevy GPS at 90 Mph.
No cracks or repairs, but interior and exterior is faded. Boat hasnt been in the water in 2 years but engine had been cranked every 6 months.
This has straight drive and no reverse (is that common?) Do any come with transmissions in them?
Thank you
David "Infomaniac" has a badass V-Drive Cougar, he might be able to enlightened on this!.. :cool: :cool:

Infomaniac
05-13-2003, 08:16 PM
83 is a very early model. Price is good.
Measure the transon to engine and transom to v-drive. Also plates to prop and I will tell you how it compares to an 88 model set up. They did figure out how to make one handle properly. Do not know exactly when that was.
They do not crack because they are built like a tank.

fastvdriver
05-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Sound like a good deal I would by it with the motor if you know the guy $3000 for a gib block is not a bad deal and $3500 for the boat is a really good deal. if you don't buy it it would sell for alot more on the open market

RUNWME
05-14-2003, 05:46 AM
Thank you for your inputs. I will take a few pictures and post. I love the cougar boats. My wife has a 21 MTR with Tommy Dunn pumped up 2.5 on back (GPS 87mph on gasoline, 101 on alcohol/nitromethane mix)) http://hometown.aol.com/runwme271/myhomepage/profile.html
I was looking for another Cougar tunnel, and while I have never riden in a v-drive boat, I have been reading about their many vitues. I will be quickly needing to add speed to this so my wife can't outrun me! I will be picking infomaniacs brain on setup!
Thanx
David

DaveA
05-14-2003, 06:29 PM
RUNWME:
Thank you for your inputs. I will take a few pictures and post. I love the cougar boats. My wife has a 21 MTR with Tommy Dunn pumped up 2.5 on back (GPS 87mph on gasoline, 101 on alcohol/nitromethane mix)) http://hometown.aol.com/runwme271/myhomepage/profile.html
I was looking for another Cougar tunnel, and while I have never riden in a v-drive boat, I have been reading about their many vitues. I will be quickly needing to add speed to this so my wife can't outrun me! I will be picking infomaniacs brain on setup!
Thanx
David Hey David,
Check your private messages...
DaveA

RUNWME
05-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Looks like I will be the proud new owner of a V-drive Cougar this Sunday. I called him up and asked for him to bring it out of storage and lets put it in the water.
A few changes is its an 84 not 83 (very similar color scheme to infomaniacs) 3500.00 for bare hull. 6500.00 running with older mild engine bbc or 8500.00 with hot fresh 477 with tunnel ram, New Hi po heads, smile_sp steel crank, steel rods,msd and assorted go fast goodies :)
We are going to take it out on the water sunday with 477 engine installed (and GPS in my hand) and if it runs and handles well I will find a new home sunday night!!! :)
This will be my first time in a v-drive boat. Is there anything I need to know or should look for during test drive and out on the water? Any driving hints?
David

Sangster
05-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Hold on...... :D

Infomaniac
05-16-2003, 02:46 PM
I always let my victims (passengers) put their foot up on the dash to wedge themselves in the seat.
[ May 16, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Snowboat
05-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Ah well, one less dynomite deal to stress over. There goes the vision of owning a Biesemeyer and a Cougar.

DaveA
05-18-2003, 05:57 PM
RUNWME:
<Snip>
We are going to take it out on the water sunday with 477 engine installed (and GPS in my hand) and if it runs and handles well I will find a new home sunday night!!! :) <Snip again>
David Yea, you'll need to find a new home Sunday nite if that thing will outrun Mama's boat!!LOL!
J/K....we know what you meant... :D :D
DaveA

GofastRacer
05-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Infomaniac:
I always let my victims (passengers) put their foot up on the dash to wedge themselves in the seat. I would never put my foot on someone else's dash! eek! :D Besides from what I seen, I think you have enough beans in that motor to keep me planted firmly in the seat!.. wink :D

Infomaniac
05-18-2003, 07:01 PM
I offer that to them. There is no handle to hold on to. It is the least I can do for someone brave enough to get in. It is for unexpected shut down anyway. Jet ski etc.

GofastRacer
05-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Right on LOL, you gonna make it to Red Rock this year?..I'll gladly volenteer as a "victim" :D :D

Well Done
05-21-2003, 06:32 PM
I took a 130MPH pass with Infomaniac last season at Kopperell, Texas. Did wonder what the hell he meant by foot on the dash!! Found out quick when he came out of the throttle. I'd been huggin the fork out front. I think the crack of my butt had the upholstery pinched!!

GofastRacer
05-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Well Done:
I took a 130MPH pass with Infomaniac last season at Kopperell, Texas. Did wonder what the hell he meant by foot on the dash!! Found out quick when he came out of the throttle. I'd been huggin the fork out front. I think the crack of my butt had the upholstery pinched!! Was a blast tho huh!.. wink :D

78Eliminator
05-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Infomaniac:
I offer that to them. There is no handle to hold on to. It is the least I can do for someone brave enough to get in. It is for unexpected shut down anyway. Jet ski etc. Info, what's your bare hull weigh?

Infomaniac
05-23-2003, 01:16 PM
It is a heavy boat built for the lake. About 750 lbs.