PDA

View Full Version : My new river runner

roostwear
12-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Brought home the new tow vehicle the other night. I've been wanting to see just how close the color is to the roadster, so I pulled the roadster out to see. There's a minor difference in length and ride height, but after it's dropped (3" front, 4" rear), and the 20's are replaced with 17" Billet Specialties Dragsters, it won't be quite as bad. Took it to the bodyshop this morning to get an idea what will be done to flame the truck. We'll be color matching the cowl cover, door handles and mirror deltas, removing all the emblems, then shooting the ghost flames in a bright silver pearl. The flames will come off the grill and headlights with the licks ending mid front door. Nothing real obvious or obnoxious, just enough to get a second look. Should make a decent tow vehicle for the roadster.
Yes Brian, it's got a Hemi.:D
http://www.freeboardchallenged.com/car/ramrod1.jpg

Kim Hanson
12-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Rooster, looks tits buddy.........( . )( . ).........love that roadster also:D

mrs. centurion
12-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Congrats Mike.. looks great.

roostwear
12-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks. Shelley has already abandoned the other truck. She says this one "moves". I'm scared. She keeps asking why I want to lower it, put on different alloys, and flame it. Silly girl.........

beerjet
12-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Looks great .

HocusPocus
12-23-2006, 07:22 PM
that will make a very nice looking combo going down the road. that roadster must be a handful when you get into the throttle.

wsuwrhr
12-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Ah...Ah....Ah...Dodge?
After all these years, I think you learned nothing....and then you go and make me all proud...
Roost and SD, all learning from the master.
You two are going to make me cry.
Ask Dave to post a picture of his hitch cover(if he still uses it).
If you are nice, maybe you'll get one for a christmas present.
Brian

roostwear
12-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Don't make it out to be all that. If you'll remember, the other truck is a 5.9l Dodge.... they just didn't have the Hemi available in 2001.
A hitch cover may not be on the truck much. WIth show season starting next month, I'll be towing the raodster at least every other weekend, and river runs start in April.
This truck has to have the right look for Vintage Rod Components. WIth Roostwear going away in a week, I need something to spend my time on!

haulina29
12-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Nice truck but why would you want to trailer the roadster ? Drive it thats what their for .

RitcheyRch
12-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Nice truck. Will make a nice tow vehicle for the roadster.

superdave013
12-24-2006, 08:35 AM
nice! I really like mine too. It doesn't low end grunt like the 8.1L burban has but it's much more zippy to dirve. Zippy enough to where I wear out rear tires before fronts. Speaking of tires I'm due sooooooo, if you are letting those take offs go let me know.

Froggystyle
12-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Brought home the new tow vehicle the other night. I've been wanting to see just how close the color is to the roadster, so I pulled the roadster out to see. There's a minor difference in length and ride height, but after it's dropped (3" front, 4" rear), and the 20's are replaced with 17" Billet Specialties Dragsters, it won't be quite as bad. Took it to the bodyshop this morning to get an idea what will be done to flame the truck. We'll be color matching the cowl cover, door handles and mirror deltas, removing all the emblems, then shooting the ghost flames in a bright silver pearl. The flames will come off the grill and headlights with the licks ending mid front door. Nothing real obvious or obnoxious, just enough to get a second look. Should make a decent tow vehicle for the roadster.
Yes Brian, it's got a Hemi.:D
Be really careful about the wheel size drop. It may not clear your brakes, and depending on how you drop it it might now clear the spindles.
Some drops (mine included) flip the a-arms on the spindle in addition to (or instead of) dropping the spindle. Plus, your stock brakes may need 20" rims to clear it. I tried running a set of stock rims on my truck and they wouldn't clear. Air Ride said you need a minimum of 18" rims for it, and only those with the right offset. 20" were preferred.
Another thing is these newer trucks with the large wheelwells look pretty weird with small rims now. I tried dropping down to a 20" on my truck and it looked dinky, even though it got my frame on the ground.
Stick to dubs. They look so much better these days.

Hardly Satisfied
12-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Congrats, very nice

roostwear
12-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Be really careful about the wheel size drop. It may not clear your brakes, and depending on how you drop it it might now clear the spindles.
Some drops (mine included) flip the a-arms on the spindle in addition to (or instead of) dropping the spindle. Plus, your stock brakes may need 20" rims to clear it. I tried running a set of stock rims on my truck and they wouldn't clear. Air Ride said you need a minimum of 18" rims for it, and only those with the right offset. 20" were preferred.
Another thing is these newer trucks with the large wheelwells look pretty weird with small rims now. I tried dropping down to a 20" on my truck and it looked dinky, even though it got my frame on the ground.
Stick to dubs. They look so much better these days.
I have a little more background work to do, but here's what I know so far. The standard wheel for the 1500 is 17", and that's the size I"ll be putting back on. The tires I've found are 275/60r17... the OD is 3" smaller than the 20's. That means I'll have to have at least a 3" (front) drop to tighten up the wheelwell gap.
Yeah, it's that whole "these days" look I want to get away from. Traditional rodders don't much appreciate the dub look, and the wheel selection that big really isn't that thrilling (to me). The BS Dragster has that Halibrand look in a 17... makes a nice match with the wheels on the roadster and the Stevens trailer. If Halibrand made a Sprint in a 17 I'd be set.

wsuwrhr
12-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Sprints in a 17" COULD be made.
Brian
I have a little more background work to do, but here's what I know so far. The standard wheel for the 1500 is 17", and that's the size I"ll be putting back on. The tires I've found are 275/60r17... the OD is 3" smaller than the 20's. That means I'll have to have at least a 3" (front) drop to tighten up the wheelwell gap.
Yeah, it's that whole "these days" look I want to get away from. Traditional rodders don't much appreciate the dub look, and the wheel selection that big really isn't that thrilling (to me). The BS Dragster has that Halibrand look in a 17... makes a nice match with the wheels on the roadster and the Stevens trailer. If Halibrand made a Sprint in a 17 I'd be set.

roostwear
12-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Actually, I just did some more poking around. These are called Sprint II's and available in 17x8 :D :D :D
http://www.halibrand.com/images/Wheels/wheels_sprintII_small_r02_c01.gif

haulina29
12-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Towing a beautiful roadster is missing out on the best part driven them !!! Unless you are towing completly inclosed you might as well drive it they get hammered on a open trailer . just my 0.2 Bring it to the La Roadsters fathers day show and i will park you up front or on a end . H29

roostwear
12-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Towing a beautiful roadster is missing out on the best part driven them !!! Unless you are towing completly inclosed you might as well drive it they get hammered on a open trailer . just my 0.2 Bring it to the La Roadsters fathers day show and i will park you up front or on a end . H29
If I drove it to shows, I wouldn't have a kidney left (and the many local PD's don't appreciate the zoomies). The only real suspension is how low I can run the air in the slicks! I hate using an open trailer, but it's all I have available. I load it backwards, and the trailer has a solid bed, so it doesn't get too messed up. Father's day? You're on!
BTW, there was a thread a week or so ago about driving a short wheelbase car. If you've never done it, you should try it once. Get's your attention REAL QUICK when something out of the ordinary happens!

haulina29
12-24-2006, 10:59 AM
End of may pm me and I will give you my cell and when you are in line I will come get you and park you ,if you come early you and your family can use my golf cart for a few hours . My duece roadster is a 112 wheel base and they can be a hand full at times mine has a coil over qc in the rear and a 4 inch dropped buggy sprung front it actually rides damn nice it doesnt like wind or concrete freeways . H29.... I like the tradationalst ideas you have for the truck post pictures when done.

haulina29
12-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I forgot to mention I like the paint on your bucket it reminds me of Art Himzls stuff he did in the late sixties very cool . H29

roostwear
12-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I forgot to mention I like the paint on your bucket it reminds me of Art Himzls stuff he did in the late sixties very cool . H29
A lot of people mention that the paint looks like Art Himzl's, but it is actually Molly. Sanded through 4 coats of paint and 1 coat of gel to get back to the original graphics Molly layed down in '69. Mapped it with rice paper and stippled it after we put down the new base coat. Doesn't get much more exact than that.
I'll touch base with you again in May. The family always comes to the shows... makes polishing easier! :D

haulina29
12-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Looking forward to meeting you and your family it seems like that show is always just around the corner if you know what I mean !! . Being a LA Roadster member and being fortunate enough to work roadster parking i get to see everything that rolls thru the gate . When ever i see Nick Barron or any of the boat guys I put them up front if they I can catch them .H29