PDA

View Full Version : Rhino aftermarket parts install

INSman
12-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Anyone have any instruction lying around for a CDI box and Rectifier install ?
I am guessing that is is pretty easy and straight forward, but I am just a dumb insurance guy and by no means a ASE Certified Mechanic :D

RiverRatMike
12-24-2006, 09:36 AM
I am guessing that is is pretty easy and straight forward, but I am just a dumb insurance guy and by no means a ASE Certified Mechanic :D
go over to the BRP forums and ask someone there.

Froggystyle
12-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Be careful running a CDI Blane. They advance the timing, bump up the rev limiter and put your motor pretty seriously at risk from what I have been told.
If you are going to do it, you need to improve the quality of your gas by a couple of points.
Alba said that every wasted head gasket they have had come back had a CDI attached... which of course voided the warranty.
If you are going to buy a CDI, get it from the dealer you plan on having the motor rebuilt at. That way you can at least pull the "but you sold me the CDI!!!" defense.

INSman
12-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Be careful running a CDI Blane. They advance the timing, bump up the rev limiter and put your motor pretty seriously at risk from what I have been told.
If you are going to do it, you need to improve the quality of your gas by a couple of points.
Alba said that every wasted head gasket they have had come back had a CDI attached... which of course voided the warranty.
If you are going to buy a CDI, get it from the dealer you plan on having the motor rebuilt at. That way you can at least pull the "but you sold me the CDI!!!" defense.
Hmm, first I have heard of CDI issues :idea: So normal octane requirement stock is what, and what should I run, Premium ?

djunkie
12-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Hmm, first I have heard of CDI issues :idea: So normal octane requirement stock is what, and what should I run, Premium ?
Don't worry too much about the CDI issues. Of all the forums I'm on I have not heard of one case where a CDI caused a motor malfunction. There are a couple different ones. Procomm makes most for most companies like Black Rhino. I have a Dynatek. The Dynatek advances the rev limiter and advances the timing 4 degrees. I run 91 octane gas and no problems so far. I did notice a performance gain with mine. Also it helped it to start better on the cold starts.
And as for the install, it should come with instructions with the new CDI.

INSman
12-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Good info, any info on a Rectifier and are any of you running this intake/filter kit ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-Design-Yamaha-Rhino-K-N-Pro-Flow-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ200062259703QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4 3979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kachina26
12-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Boy, you just can't leave well enough alone, can you? :D

djunkie
12-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Good info, any info on a Rectifier and are any of you running this intake/filter kit ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-Design-Yamaha-Rhino-K-N-Pro-Flow-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ200062259703QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4 3979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I think you can get a better deal than that on the intake. PM Sigepmock and see what his buddy is charging for them. As for the rectifier, I've heard good feedback on this one.
http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/10854

mrs. centurion
12-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Rhino's suck:)

OGShocker
12-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Most blown motor issues I have heard of, all involve the loose nut behind the wheel. Knowing you, as I do, I ask you to please, be aware of this potential problem!:D

Todd969
12-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Remove the battery cover and the CDI is located against the side of the box. 2 10mm bolts remove it. Plug and play:)
Let the spending begin :D

INSman
12-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Most blown motor issues I have heard of, all involve the loose nut behind the wheel. Knowing you, as I do, I ask you to please, be aware of this potential problem!:D
That right there is some good advice :rolleyes: :D

INSman
12-26-2006, 08:29 AM
I think you can get a better deal than that on the intake. PM Sigepmock and see what his buddy is charging for them. As for the rectifier, I've heard good feedback on this one.
http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/10854
Thanks, already bought a Procom unit just haven't installed yet.

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Couple of things:
I have been running a Procom CDI for over a year and zero issues...I also have not heard of any CDI related issues on stock 660 motors other than a bad batch of CDI's that were recalled and replaced and none of those led to serious motor problems. Alba unfortunately has not had the sucess with the Rhino's that normally do with motor upgrades. A lot of people with the Alba motor mods are blowing motors up, so of course Alba has to blame something. There are a few companies out there running 686 and bigger motor upgrades with great success. Kelly at KMS in AZ has really got it figured out and is making some great numbers. Only time will tell how well his motors will hold up but so far so good.
For CDI's, intakes, clutch sheaves etc....call Jason at Rancho Motorsports (909) 390-9722 or Todd's guys at R&R in Havasu. Both will make you a great deal on parts and can install them for you.
If you want, Jason can install the intake, CDI, clutch sheave and re-jet the Rhino for you in a day and have you in the 50's mph wise no problem with great throttle response. Installs are not hard just a little time consuming, so if you don't want to mess with it, Jason can take care of you and he stands behind his work.
Hope this helped,
Chris

INSman
12-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Couple of things:
I have been running a Procom CDI for over a year and zero issues...I also have not heard of any CDI related issues on stock 660 motors other than a bad batch of CDI's that were recalled and replaced and none of those led to serious motor problems. Alba unfortunately has not had the sucess with the Rhino's that normally do with motor upgrades. A lot of people with the Alba motor mods are blowing motors up, so of course Alba has to blame something. There are a few companies out there running 686 and bigger motor upgrades with great success. Kelly at KMS in AZ has really got it figured out and is making some great numbers. Only time will tell how well his motors will hold up but so far so good.
For CDI's, intakes, clutch sheaves etc....call Jason at Rancho Motorsports (909) 390-9722 or Todd's guys at R&R in Havasu. Both will make you a great deal on parts and can install them for you.
If you want, Jason can install the intake, CDI, clutch sheave and re-jet the Rhino for you in a day and have you in the 50's mph wise no problem with great throttle response. Installs are not hard just a little time consuming, so if you don't want to mess with it, Jason can take care of you and he stands behind his work.
Hope this helped,
Chris
For now, just going with billet exhaust tip, CDI, Rectifier, Clutch Sheave and Intake/Filter kit. Question being, do I need to re-jet and if so to what?

Cole Trickle
12-26-2006, 12:21 PM
For now, just going with billet exhaust tip, CDI, Rectifier, Clutch Sheave and Intake/Filter kit. Question being, do I need to re-jet and if so to what?
You will need to re jet if your doing the intake,CDI and billet tip.(It will run lean)
I did the Dyno Jet kit (165 Pilot)
We also bumped up the main jet using a Yamaha jet.

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 01:05 PM
You will need to re jet if your doing the intake,CDI and billet tip.(It will run lean)
I did the Dyno Jet kit (165 Pilot)
We also bumped up the main jet using a Yamaha jet.
160 or 165 main (dynojet kit)....45 pilot(yamaha) . Get the dynojet kit ($50) it has good instructions that Cole Trickle obviously didn't read :) j/k

Cole Trickle
12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
165 main (dynojet kit)....45 pilot(yamaha) . Get the dynojet kit ($50) it has good instructions that Cole Trickle obviously didn't read :) j/k
main smain...:D
we screwed the little brass do hickys in the carb after we drilled the thingy and it runs good.
<----- another dumb insurance guy:D

INSman
12-26-2006, 01:25 PM
we screwed the little brass do hickys in the carb after we drilled the thingy and it runs good.
didn't you guys all do clutch sheaths as well ?!?

INSman
12-26-2006, 01:27 PM
I know, like us dumb insurance guys are supposed to be mechanics too ?!? :D

Cole Trickle
12-26-2006, 01:48 PM
didn't you guys all do clutch sheaths as well ?!?
I think so?;):D
I un-did a gang of bolts and removed a shiny thing before replacing with a new costlier new shiny thing and then I spent a half hour trying to tighten up all the stuff I had just removed.

Cole Trickle
12-26-2006, 01:52 PM
I know, like us dumb insurance guys are supposed to be mechanics too ?!? :D
It's hard to be good looking and mechanically efficent!!;):D