PDA

View Full Version : Zoomies

78Eliminator
11-13-2002, 10:57 AM
I am thinking about getting some zoomies. Are they legal in AZ? Are there any drawbacks? Any comments appreciated.

Blown 472
11-13-2002, 11:04 AM
loud????

78Eliminator
11-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Blown 472:
loud????I like loud. I don't like people being able to talk when they're getting a ride.

Livin Large 27Hallett
11-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Loud is cool for about one boat trip, then they get a little annoying

78Eliminator
11-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Livin Large 27Hallett:
Loud is cool for about one boat trip, then they get a little annoyingThe short collecter headers I have are loud as hell, but I can't get enough of them.

Blown 472
11-13-2002, 11:16 AM
I read somewhere that motors that run carbs and have a plenum need a collected header to help scavange and start the fresh charge coming into the cylinder, where as blown or injected motors dont need them, I think it was the chevy engine building book.

78Eliminator
11-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Blown 472:
I read somewhere that motors that run carbs and have a plenum need a collected header to help scavange and start the fresh charge coming into the cylinder, where as blown or injected motors dont need them, I think it was the chevy engine building book.That is the reply I was looking for . I suspected that a NA motor needs the exhaust vacuum, but wasn't sure....

Blown 472
11-13-2002, 11:43 AM
Now that I think about it, it was the building big block chevy engines book, some old book with big block on the cover, said something about the header design and creating a ventury in the collector, if you look at the mpd website you will see a side shot of a header that has that in it.

HavasuDreamin'
11-13-2002, 11:43 AM
I have seen some pro gas hydros and such that run zoomies? What gives? :confused:

Blown 472
11-13-2002, 11:53 AM
HavasuDreamin':
I have seen some pro gas hydros and such that run zoomies? What gives? :confused: Dunno, just relaying what I have read.

stix818
11-13-2002, 12:06 PM
We run zoomies on our PGF. It made the boat run on the big end (1/8 mile on) and slowed us down on the bottom end (start to 1/8 mile). We ran some of our best MPH with the zoomies but our ETs were better with the collector. We are going back to a header next year.

Hotcrusader76
11-13-2002, 12:14 PM
So much for tuning at El CAP or SAN'V J! No? Still trying to mend those ties with your neighbors hunh there J? :D
Going to Zoomies would really get the ForSale signs popping up around your pad....LOL

Liberator TJ1984
11-13-2002, 12:34 PM
With ZOOMIES you can tune fat and watch the flames at night :D

Blown 472
11-13-2002, 12:40 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
With ZOOMIES you can tune fat and watch the flames at night :D Hey, watch the fat comments.

78Eliminator
11-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Blown 472:
Liberator TJ1984:
With ZOOMIES you can tune fat and watch the flames at night :D Hey, watch the fat comments.What he meant to say was tune it "big boned" :)

superdave013
11-13-2002, 12:47 PM
They will be way louder then your short collector headers. I think you will get hassaled more with then also.
I had them on my flat but most of the time I ran headers at Parker.

Liberator TJ1984
11-13-2002, 12:54 PM
I kinda got a wild hair to run propane lines to my water inj.lines and fire it up just for the added effects eek! You know kina like puting a soap injection system on your jet nozzle.... I meant tune " rich " sorry about that !

DUCKY
11-13-2002, 02:16 PM
Zoomies are illegal as hell in Arizona, but if you run on Havasu (Stay out of the bridge channel)or down at Parker, you aren't likely to be cited for them, probably a warning. If you are running any kind of a sane lake motor, they will cost you low rev torque and acceleration. Some of the naturally aspirated boats in IHBA can get away with them because you have a 125 ft run at the lights, and most of those guys are running 2 speed trannys, which means instant rpm. I knew a guy with a Pro Comp Flat with a two speed and zoomies, and watched his tach playback once. The motor saw 8200 rpm within two seconds of launch and droppped to 6400 at the shift point. A motor like this has no need for header with a scavenging effect. A lake boat motor that lives between idle and 4000 rpm most of the time with teh occasional 6000 blast, does.
Just my $0.02!!!

Kurtis500
11-13-2002, 02:38 PM
I ran zoomies on my blown flat at Parker, Canyon Lake and Apache. Drove by the police each place and never got stopped. Did run a water injection set-up, but they really didnt make that big of a difference. Just dont stand on the gas hard and the zoomies wont be that much louder than headers. I just think thier a hassle for recreational boating, much better off with manifolds and injected pipes. Just my opinion.

West Coast Dave
11-13-2002, 04:24 PM
The whole idea of a 4 into one header is to create a scavenging effect to help pull the exhaust gases from the cylinder and help pull a fresh charge into the cylinder (overlap comes into play there). The sprint car guys are playing w/ changing the tube pattern into the collector for that reason lately. We used to run zoomies years ago on a 410 CRA sprinter when the track was real dry and we wanted to kill the bottom end. On a chassis dyno w/ an injected alcohol 406 SBC we showed no gains w/ the zoomies except 7400-8200 rpm. Every where else we lost HP and Torque. If it's not blown I wouldn't probably go that direction. My 2 cents :-)

Cheyenne 572
11-13-2002, 07:14 PM
No i do not think they are legal in AZ.I have a set of them but i'm chicken to put them on since i've alredy been pulled over for to much noise already.In my opion asperated motor's can run them but it depense on there compresion ratio.
Oh yes i have an Blown and injected motor so they would work well on my set-up but like it's been said they are loud.
Cheyenne 572

GofastRacer
11-13-2002, 07:36 PM
Arizona law is 85DB at idle 50ft away from the side of the boat, there is no law on what kind of exhaust you have to use!!..But if you're running open pipes (don't matter what kind), they will hassle you for not making an atempt to make it quieter!!.. :mad:
[ November 13, 2002, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Ian
11-14-2002, 03:48 PM
We run zoomies on our blown gas flat, nothing beats the sound. I know Parker is cracking down on boats with zoomies, to be honest there are only a few lakes and rivers that we won't get kicked off. If you are running a mild naturally aspirated motor (by mild I mean rpm's between 4000-6500) you will most likely loose power. You could always borrow someones and try them, but I'm pretty sure you'll loose power. Also if you do like them you can put baffles in them and run water through them, but I most warn you it makes a mess of your motor and transom. This is just my opinion and I'm the first to admit I don't know much