PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports - vacuums

Cas
12-24-2006, 09:14 PM
How much credence do you put in it?
The reason I ask is our vacuum broke today. I can go ahead and buy the part for it but we're really not all that happy with it although it is a HEPA, bagless and has a triple filtration system.
We've pretty much decided to get a new one so we checked out Consumer Reports. We were considering a Dyson but according to the reports, it's like 5th or 6th on the list. Believe it or not, a Sears Kenmore is ranked #1 and they also have another ranked #3. We've also looked into the new Infiniti bagless/HEPA but apparently it's too new to have been tested. It is the only system that has 24 cyclones that never clog, and never loses suction.
Anyone have one of the Infiniti vacuums?

Racey
12-24-2006, 09:22 PM
F dyson, $600 bucks for a gotdamn house vacuum is totally ridiculous to me. they might be badass, but it's still just a friggin house vac.

Cas
12-24-2006, 09:31 PM
F dyson, $600 bucks for a gotdamn house vacuum is totally ridiculous to me. they might be badass, but it's still just a friggin house vac.
I agree but they're now down to about $329.00 but the Infiniti, for the pet vac, is on sale locally for $215.00.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-24-2006, 09:36 PM
You can get a Dyson at COSTCO.
-------------
I get the Frys name brand specials.
Usually $35 to $40.
Bag-less, belt-less,, Eureka has teriffic parts availability, not that you'll need it.
They last and last.
Ya have to empty the cup more often than the Dyson, but the price is less than the sales tax on the Dyson.
The Dyson is awesome though.

DJ Sound Technique
12-25-2006, 07:42 AM
The Dyson is bad ass, we have had one for years... Got it off ebay for $200

RitcheyRch
12-25-2006, 08:21 AM
I like my Rainbow. Have had it for 15 years.

Tremor Girl
12-25-2006, 08:33 AM
If you have pets, the Dyson DC-14 ROCKS!! The fact that it's bagless is awesome. I vacuum and empty the canister so next time I vacuum, there's no stinky dog smell.:D
We had a really expensive vacuum before and my friend brought over her Dyson to show us how well it worked. I vacuumed the room with my vacuum first then she went over it with her Dyson. SO GROSS. I could not believe how 2 people and 1 dog could create so much dirt. YUCK.
If the Dyson was $1,000., I'd buy it again! JMHO:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-25-2006, 08:40 AM
What happened to the old school electrolux:D

Trailer Park Casanova
12-25-2006, 08:43 AM
If you have pets, the Dyson DC-14 ROCKS!! The fact that it's bagless is awesome. I vacuum and empty the canister so next time I vacuum, there's no stinky dog smell.:D
We had a really expensive vacuum before and my friend brought over her Dyson to show us how well it worked. I vacuumed the room with my vacuum first then she went over it with her Dyson. SO GROSS. I could not believe how 2 people and 1 dog could create so much dirt. YUCK.
If the Dyson was $1,000., I'd buy it again! JMHO:D
I had one at the office at work.
I agree,, it is something else.

edog_103
12-25-2006, 08:56 AM
I love the Dyson. We've used it to clean up remodel work at the office. Consumer Reports. I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Cas
12-25-2006, 08:59 AM
What happened to the old school electrolux:D
actually, we still have one.....probably the best vacuum ever made!
Our neighbor just got a Dyson for Christmas, said she'll let us give it a try. For now, we've got Kirby back in action :)

Trailer Park Casanova
12-25-2006, 09:50 AM
As Far as Consumer reports goes:
The biggest POS mini van ever built was the Mazda MPV.
Probably the worst Japan built vehicle ever.
I'll stick my neck out and put it with the Yugo for quality.
CR gave it a recomended best buy and great reviews year after year until a ABC new report linked Mazda to payola to major publications for good reviews.
CR finally retracted the endorsement under pressure from it's readers. Look it up, the long time auto test editor resigned his position too.
Then:
CR panned the Isuzu rodeo, they hated and murdered it.
But as the Consumer Reports issue hit the stands, Honda had enough confidence in it to put their name on it.
The exact Isuzu Rodeo that CR panned.
We bought one, probably the best vehicle we've ever owned.
I don't trust CR.
It's run by broken hearted hippies.

Jbb
12-25-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't trust CR.
It's run by broken hearted hippies.
What a coincidence .........Tom Brown is a broken hearted commie hippy....:D

HMF'er
12-25-2006, 11:17 AM
I have an online subscription to CR and I use it before buying expensive things. It helped me pick out my plasma TV and some other electronic gadgets. I think I made a good choice after reading CR reviews.
Regarding the vacuum cleaners - I have a POS Dirt Devil or something like that, cost about $75 about 5 years ago. The wife was begging for a new one saying ours didn't suck (worthless in this case). My parents just bought a Dyson and I vacuumed my carpet with my POS, then immediately used the Dyson to see if it picked up anything mine missed - nothing, no difference. So to me, the Dyson looks fancy, but I'll save my money, and maybe buy my wife another POS if she keeps asking.

Mandelon
12-25-2006, 11:23 AM
My wife loves her Dyson.

bonesfab
12-25-2006, 11:25 AM
The dyson is the chit. I am amazed everytime I use it how much stuff comes up. Theres only 3 people and a dog in the house but it is amazing how much crap comes out of the carpet. When we first got it, vacuumed with the old vac, then went over it with dyson and still filled up the bin. I am sold...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-25-2006, 11:43 AM
actually, we still have one.....probably the best vacuum ever made!
My parents still have thiers!!! They have owned that thing since 1983:eek: and it still works!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-25-2006, 11:43 AM
:D you could get a bargin basement trailer park trash ho for $50 and i'll bet she'd suck every piece of lint from your house !!:D
I guess that you know this by experience:D :D

SmokinLowriderSS
12-25-2006, 04:08 PM
If I ever own another HEPA-filtered bagless POS again, it'll be the only thing in the marketplace. Have had great use out of Dirt Devil's over the years, except the current bagless one. Time to change the damn filter cartridge again. It keeps clogging up the suction line coming out of the beater head. :devil:
Guess I should start using the Kirby I got from grandma's "estate" after her demise last spring.:idea: Heck, I even have the shampooer attatchment.

HammerDown
12-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Electrolux...say no more, except...suck-suck;)

Roaddogg 4040
12-25-2006, 06:34 PM
HMF'r... If I had a wife that would vacuume I would buy her what ever the hell she wanted!!!:D Just kidding Roselyn...
Your loving husband... Steve

HYPNAUTIC
12-26-2006, 12:50 AM
get a roomba.. it'll clean the house everynight @ 2am

JetBoatRich
12-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Our neighbor just got a Dyson for Christmas, said she'll let us give it a try. :)
She was given a vacum for christmas:jawdrop:

NashvilleBound
12-26-2006, 04:50 AM
We have a few of the Dyson yellow vacuums. I got them off ebay..... $399ea. No complaints. I do see allot of stuff whirling inside of it after cleaning area rugs....just wondering if its thining it out or just cleaning it. :eek: :eek:

SmokinLowriderSS
12-26-2006, 05:12 AM
She was given a vacum for christmas:jawdrop:
See, a proper gift given. Some men still know who is in charge. :D

killerbeez
12-26-2006, 05:15 AM
My wife and I inherited a Tristar from her grandmother.IT was the elite black model which retails for $2300.It seems to be a great vacuum but there is no way in hell I would spend that much on a vacuum,works great though.

JetBoatRich
12-26-2006, 08:17 AM
See, a proper gift given. Some men still know who is in charge. :D
LOL, who bought their wife a broom:eek:

Trailer Park Casanova
12-26-2006, 08:25 AM
We have a few of the Dyson yellow vacuums. I got them off ebay..... $399ea. No complaints. I do see allot of stuff whirling inside of it after cleaning area rugs....just wondering if its thining it out or just cleaning it. :eek: :eek:
Yea, my thoughts too.

lalhc
12-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I have two Dysons - one in Havasu and one at my primary residence. If you have a Kohl's card, they usually send you gift cards saving X% off any purchase. I saved a total of 25% (combination of discounts) off my purple Dyson.

DansBlown73Nordic
12-26-2006, 10:08 AM
We bought a Dyson a year ago. It was a factory refurbished. It works like a Million BUCKS. The day we brought it home I took it for a spin around are living room. You couldn't see any dirt to speak of. I was SCHOCKED at all the dirt that thing picked up.....:sqeyes: :sqeyes:

DansBlown73Nordic
12-26-2006, 10:10 AM
If you give the wife a vacum she may be happy if she was using a BROOM!!!!!:D

rivercrazy
12-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Electrolux...say no more, except...suck-suck;)
Ditto - its a great vacuum

SmokinLowriderSS
12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
LOL, who bought their wife a broom:eek:
No, the vacuum is better. A good one is to heavy to swing effectively. :D

HMF'er
12-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I've been jinxed!:jawdrop:
All this vacuum cleaner talk and I come home today to find out mine took a crap. I owe the wife a new one (vacuum that is, she already has several brooms).:D

centerhill condor
12-27-2006, 05:59 AM
bought a Kirby in '92 with all the goodies, self propelled...works everytime I try it! even has a dog attachment! parts are made at one of my customer's plant in good old USA!

FREIND OF AA AND TA
12-27-2006, 06:17 AM
My wife has two Dysons. Both are animal ones. The older one is at our place in Havasu and one at home. She likes them soooo much she talks to them and even named them. I thought it was wierd but she pointed out that I named my boat and talk to it too. I guess we were made for eachother. LOL!!!

NashvilleBound
12-27-2006, 06:23 AM
My wife has two Dysons. Both are animal ones. The older one is at our place in Havasu and one at home. She likes them soooo much she talks to them and even named them. I thought it was wierd but she pointed out that I named my boat and talk to it too. I guess we were made for eachother. LOL!!!
Should I even dare to ask what the names are????????? :eek:

JetBoatRich
12-27-2006, 06:27 AM
No, the vacuum is better. A good one is to heavy to swing effectively. :D
Good point:idea:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
12-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Should I even dare to ask what the names are????????? :eek:
Yes dare!!!!

NashvilleBound
12-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Yes dare!!!!
LOL....alrighty then Mike....be that way;)

VanDeano
12-27-2006, 08:14 AM
KIRBY...had mine for about 15 years and is awsome. Very pricy though....paid $1,000 for but would do it again if had too.

RitcheyRch
12-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Thats what I paid for my Rainbow.
KIRBY...had mine for about 15 years and is awsome. Very pricy though....paid $1,000 for but would do it again if had too.

Cas
12-27-2006, 09:23 AM
We have a Kirby also, bought it in 1979 and it still works great. The problem with it is it's just too heavy for my wife and it doesn't have the HEPA thing so it's been delegated to my job clean up. We also have all the goodies that came with it at the time, shampooer, polisher, furniture attachment, paint fun, all kinds of crap.
We borrowed the neighbors Dyson (it's the yellow one) and it's now off the list of vacuums to purchase. I ran it in the living room and seemed to do a pretty good job. I then ran Kirby over it and picked up a whole bunch more stuff. That didn't happen with the Bissell model that broke last week on us. I went ahead and ordered the parts to fix ours. Getting off cheap :D

squirt'nmyload
12-27-2006, 10:28 AM
we love our kirby G6:)

Ned S
12-27-2006, 07:40 PM
My wife has the Super Sucker and won't let go of it for ciat!