PDA

View Full Version : What gives

timebomb1
12-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Sent a question into outboard tech and someone else gets the credit. Man I feel so let down. January 2007 issue of ***boat. Who the heck is Frank Flynn. Gary
2.4l bp efi timing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This last week I was pulling my son and some friends around on a tube. My motor sounded a little off. I came home and check the timing, I noticed I was not getting the full 25 degrees of max advance. I can move the advance arm against the stop and then I will get the 25 degrees, but just moving the throttle arm full forward I cannot get it. I have checked the routing of the trigger wiring, and it is as it should be. The only thing different about this motor is it has a Simonmotorsports alternator. The wiring for the trigger and the stator run under the mounting brackets. I pulled the flywheel and stator off, looked at the trigger, cleaned the pad where the trigger sets, cleaned the trigger assy, lubed the throttle arm assy, still not enough advance. Any Ideas?????? Gary

riverracerXXX
12-26-2006, 12:58 PM
LOL! That sucks. Al's probably so busy building boats hes losing the names of people writing in.

Propster
12-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Did you get an answer?
My 2.5 did the same thing. If you have the hipo motor it might have the same set up. Turns out, spring # 17 in this illustration was worn and would not push the arm to full advance. The replacement spring was twice the diameter.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=811499%2091&ivar=images/HIPERF/811499.91/9.png&inbr=1509&bnbr=5&bdesc=THROTTLE+LEVER+AND+SHIFT+SHAFT

vishus
12-27-2006, 11:55 PM
The editors wrote that they will sometimes "sign" a tech question with a bogus name, if I remember it was if the question didn't have a full name or such...

Stoker22
12-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Gary sorry for the mix up, I rechecked the questions emailed to me from HB and Frank Flynn was the name attached to your question. Hopefully the answer does solve your problem. Have a Happy New Year.

timebomb1
12-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Yep it was the spring. If you read the original posting back on the 2nd of August, you will see I had it figured out by the 8th of August 2006. Happy New Year and be safe. Gary