PDA

View Full Version : Nidacore???

PGF500
12-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Looking for info on Nidacore. Thinking about using this in our new boat for the floor as well as in our capsule. Does anyone have any experiance with nidacore or can you shoot me in the right direction for something other than plywood or Balsawood for a coring.
Thanks
Cole Thurston

sleekcrafter
12-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Might try one of the company's that does home-built aircraft under the 51% build rules. The only ones I know of off hand is Phoenix composites.
Sleek

PGF500
12-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks sleek I will try them.

Kurtis500
12-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Looking for info on Nidacore. Thinking about using this in our new boat for the floor as well as in our capsule. Does anyone have any experiance with nidacore or can you shoot me in the right direction for something other than plywood or Balsawood for a coring.
Thanks
Cole Thurston
Yes, I have used thier products, although not in building a boat. Which one of the products are you refering to?

fc-pilot
01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Nidacore is cool stuff. I like it a ton better than trying to use basic hexel honeycomb stuff. It is used in funnycar bodies as well as a few boats. As far as putting it in the floor of a boat, I would do it, but you would want to make sure to have a decent floor to put it in. I know with some of the honeycomb stuff we have done the less direct effect the honeycomb feels from impacts the longer it will stay together. We have had good success with carbon and honeycomb. A few layers of carbon do much better than glass in dealing with the honeycomb. Unfortunately I have to refer to the honeycomb as I have not done too much in testing with the Nidacore. After this summer I will be able to give you more real info on how it handles in a boat.
Paul

cucci
01-05-2007, 06:03 AM
We have built an entire boat out of nida core, even the stringers. Duff Dailey currently has the boat and races it on occaison. It doe's not form like balsa wood. We had to vaccuum when ever we installed it. Too stiff and will not conform easily. Other than the ability to work with it is a good product. The product was about 1/2 inch honey comb plastic with a resin absorbant scrim attached to it.
If I can be of help you can call D'Cucci Boats Inc. 928 505 5900

jimslade
01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I've done transom and stringers with nidacore. Its a great product. You can form curved area's with a little heat. Just remember that you need 3 to 4 layers of quality glass to spread out the stress over the core. I just finished coreing the transom of my wife's boat.

fc-pilot
01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
We have built an entire boat out of nida core, even the stringers. Duff Dailey currently has the boat and races it on occaison. It doe's not form like balsa wood. We had to vaccuum when ever we installed it. Too stiff and will not conform easily. Other than the ability to work with it is a good product. The product was about 1/2 inch honey comb plastic with a resin absorbant scrim attached to it.
If I can be of help you can call D'Cucci Boats Inc. 928 505 5900
Well there is your best answer. I would love to see how it is holding up to circle racing conditions. I would love to see it be the wave of the future. Plastic can't rot out like wood will.
Paul

Konabud
01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I work for this company, among a lot of other things we supply boat builders with various types and weights of rigid foam for transoms, stringers etc. Check out this site.
http://www.generalplastics.com/products/product_detail.php?pid=21&
Tell them I sent you.

fc-pilot
01-12-2007, 11:17 PM
It sure is cool seeing new technology come out. It would be great to see the boating world catch up. The possibilities would be endless.
Paul

WannabeRacing
01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Nida-core is cool stuff. Make sure you have enough layers on the outside to disperse the energy of impact over a larger area.
I tried everywhere to get nida-core. They would only sell a full box of the stuff. Then I went straight to the source. The actual maker. They will send as little as one sheet for the same price per sheet that the guys in town wanted for a whole box. They come in different thicknesses, etc. I say give em' a try!
Nida-core (http://www.nida-core.com/english/index.htm)
I also found this boat on the web that is supposed to be a carbon-fiber nida-core layup.
http://www.wannaberacing.com/boatrough2.jpg

Xlration Marine
02-13-2007, 01:29 PM
That stuff was around when I was building boats back in the late 80's. I bought it from Accel Plastics at that time. Good stuff, we made a saddle for a belly tank out of it. Marvin was at the back door selling bits and pieces in those days.