PDA

View Full Version : water damage....

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I get a call last night at 9pm from my neighbors at the river. They said they saw water pouring out my side door of my trailer. Freaked out i told them where the spare key was hidden and alarm code so they could get in and see whats up.
I was on the phone with them while she was walking in the house.. then all i hear is holly sh!t. she said the entire house(double wide trailer) was flooded with water. everything but the back two of the 3 bedrooms.
so what happened was ...some how the washer was on and flooded with water and never shut off.. the house smells moldy. who knows how long this has been going on for. my grandpa drove up there at 1am last night...he got there just as i was waking up. he said everything has to be replaced.. carpet, hardwood floors, kitchen cabinets and some of the furniture.. lets just hope the insurance company covers this.
this is why its important to have full time residents next to your river house.

acatitude
12-27-2006, 10:30 AM
or why its important to turn your shit off when you leave...... sorry to hear that man, hope your ins. covers some of that....

KLEPTOW
12-27-2006, 10:32 AM
That sucks.
Is it insured as a vacation home or full time residence?

GHT
12-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Damn, that sucks..
Can you say, "Hello Allstate"?

phebus
12-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Get er done by summer :D

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 10:42 AM
..i wasnt up there last. i always turn gas and water off... i spit the place with my grandpa.. and sometimes he lets my cousins use it or other family use it so they dont have to pay for rooms when they go to laughlin,, next year im gonna let him buy me out and buy my own pad
...insured as full time

12-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Your water bill is gonna be though the roof. That sucks. We came home from the river to find the feed to the toilet broke. Flooded most of the downstairs. Insurance took care of the damage. Hope its not as bad as its seems to be.

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 10:56 AM
i hope sure hope not. im pretty sure the insurance will cover it. ill make sure they do ..i give my rep alot of business.lol im so lucky i have neighbors. i wasnt planning on going back up til end of january for the score races

Havasu_Dreamin
12-27-2006, 11:05 AM
That is precisly why we have a ball valve whereby we can shuit off the water to the entire house while keeping the water on for the bubblers.....

moneypit
12-27-2006, 11:07 AM
SO who left the water on... or the washer on??

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 11:12 AM
i dunno. yet to find that out.. there where towels in it.. so it seems that someone started a load but never finished.

H20Advantage
12-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear this.
We have a water shutoff in the garage along with a couple of power switches that get turned off after you leave. I have a card with instructions for guest's to.
This is one of my biggest fears when gone for long periods of time.

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear this.
We have a water shutoff in the garage along with a couple of power switches that get turned off after you leave. I have a card with instructions for guest's to.
This is one of my biggest fears when gone for long periods of time.
my biggest fear is the place burning down

SCR INC
12-27-2006, 11:44 AM
I get a call last night at 9pm from my neighbors at the river. They said they saw water pouring out my side door of my trailer. Freaked out i told them where the spare key was hidden and alarm code so they could get in and see whats up.
I was on the phone with them while she was walking in the house.. then all i hear is holly sh!t. she said the entire house(double wide trailer) was flooded with water. everything but the back two of the 3 bedrooms.
so what happened was ...some how the washer was on and flooded with water and never shut off.. the house smells moldy. who knows how long this has been going on for. my grandpa drove up there at 1am last night...he got there just as i was waking up. he said everything has to be replaced.. carpet, hardwood floors, kitchen cabinets and some of the furniture.. lets just hope the insurance company covers this.
this is why its important to have full time residents next to your river house.
Sorry to hear the bad news.. I have been in the water and fire damage and now mold for the last 14 years in the OC and In AZ.. Make sure you get all the structure dried out properly.. Those trailers are the worst with the partical board sub floors... If i can be of any help give me a PM..

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news.. I have been in the water and fire damage and now mold for the last 14 years in the OC and In AZ.. Make sure you get all the structure dried out properly.. Those trailers are the worst with the partical board sub floors... If i can be of any help give me a PM..
thanks man!

Chico&Zeus
12-27-2006, 11:50 AM
These are pretty cheap, and a great idea for a vacation home...
http://www.smarthome.com/images/7115h2big.jpg
Here's the Link....
SmartHome.com (http://www.smarthome.com/7115h2.html)

RitcheyRch
12-27-2006, 11:55 AM
That sucks. HOpefully the insurance pays for everything

phebus
12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
My money says that the hot water line burst, rather then the thing overflowing.
I can't tell you how many water vacs I was on as a fireman because that happened.
The best thing anyone can do, is to replace the rubber hoses, with stainless jacketed ones.

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 01:17 PM
I can't tell you how many water vacs I was on as a fireman because that happened.
The best thing anyone can do, is to replace the rubber hoses, with stainless jacketed ones.
i dunno what i have behimd it.. ill change to stainless if i had rubber

Mandelon
12-27-2006, 01:57 PM
That's the kind of thing insurance is for, they should cover it. But it needs to be dried out professionally. Shoot, for what it costs for a trailer, they just buy you out altogether.

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 02:44 PM
the trailers nothing, hell and its only 15 years old.. its the garage and land that bring the value haha.

Moneypitt
12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
As a fireman how many fires did you see that were started by un attended dryers? I heard that is a big issue, and never start a dryer and leave. Any truth in that advice?......And yes, I've also seen the washer hoses spring leaks and destroy valuable items stored nearby, as well as run for days......MP

phebus
12-27-2006, 03:16 PM
As a fireman how many fires did you see that were started by un attended dryers? I heard that is a big issue, and never start a dryer and leave. Any truth in that advice?......And yes, I've also seen the washer hoses spring leaks and destroy valuable items stored nearby, as well as run for days......MP
The only time I ever had a problem with dryers, is when the lint traps weren't cleaned, or the ducting was full of lint. Even then, it seemed like most of the time, the fire was contained to the dryer, and smoke was more of an issue.

desertbird
12-27-2006, 03:31 PM
You need a LeakFrog!
http://www.ideativeinc.com/leakfrog.cfm
Seriously, sorry to hear. The EXACT thing happened at my ma's place. She started a load of laundry and went to bed. Woke up with a house full of water. We just finished the reapair work this year, and for Christmas I bought her one of these as a gag.
Then I bought one for my own place!
Now we NEVER leave the house or go to bed with a water using appliance running (Dishwasher, Washing Machine, whatever)

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 04:01 PM
You need a LeakFrog!
http://www.ideativeinc.com/leakfrog.cfm
Seriously, sorry to hear. The EXACT thing happened at my ma's place. She started a load of laundry and went to bed. Woke up with a house full of water. We just finished the reapair work this year, and for Christmas I bought her one of these as a gag.
Then I bought one for my own place!
Now we NEVER leave the house or go to bed with a water using appliance running (Dishwasher, Washing Machine, whatever)
:D

OCMerrill
12-27-2006, 09:15 PM
We do water damage restoration as a large part of my business.
Where folks go sideways with this type of thing is waiting....for things to happen sometimes because they just have no choice. This is a NOW deal. If the insurance co. drags its feet, take tons of pics and get that wet stuff out.
You need to get the thing force dried and all the wet damaged flooring out.
You have a wooden subfloor in a coach so time is critical. Lots of blowers and several dehumidifiers. Get someone in there that knows how to dry it out.
Good luck with this and by the way 90% of the time it's an old failed washer hose. I have seen this $5 hose cause $50k in damage. Think three story condo with a hose-burst on the top floor.

dumbandyoung
12-28-2006, 10:50 AM
good news!! insurance i fixing everthing. the came yesterday and cleared all the furniture out. and put my grandpa in a room at the Avi. the should be ripping out the carpet and hardwood today. and drying tomorrow. we need to replace two walls and the ceiling in the laundry room.

Wet Dream
12-28-2006, 11:08 AM
The washer was on, which meant that whatever was in there was going to mold and stink up the joint. Less to deal with than flooding, but still pretty bad either way.

dumbandyoung
12-28-2006, 11:15 AM
yah well ehen it kept over flowing i caused a shelf to fall down and down went all the beach and shower towel.. trashed!..and the shelf. anyone wanna donate towels??lol

Sherpa
12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
insurance will probably cover it* but, then they're gonna drop your ass like
a stolen pistol................
the words MOLD scare the hell outta insurance carriers nowadays..........
so when you call in for: WATER DAMAGE , there's gonna be a bit of silence
on the other end.......
--And if you're gonna try and fix the damage yourself, you're gonna be even
more screwed since it requires a full-on hazmat/remediation company licensed
in that work to sign off paperwork and etc....
good luck with the whole dealio.
--Sherpa

dumbandyoung
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
the house still isn't done yet.:( they say it wont be til end of February. Also now we are fighting the insurance company because the company they had move all my furniture, damaged my couches and a few other things. GRRRR!:argue:

dumbandyoung
01-13-2007, 01:48 PM
We were going dove hunting and were gonna stay at my dad's house in Havasu. I told the wife I'd call when I got there, just to let her know I was safe. I pulled in front of the house, called my wife said "hi" and this godawful blood curdling scream comes from the house. My step mother had walked into a soaked living room. My wife heard her (I'm at the curb with the windows up) and said,"you go have a good time dear:devil: ".
The plastic water fill to the toilet had sheared, flooded the masterbath and bedroom, down the hallway into the livingroom, to the front door down another hall to the garage.
Insurance sent out a team that night, ripping and tearing carpet, drywall, baseboards, moving damaged furniture to the garage...About 10 of those blue fans going full blast.
Instead of showing up and having dinner and a couple beers we had to work our @sses off.
There's a shut-off there now.
your story sounds alot loke mine. there will be a shut of there now. crazy thing is the next day after we knew. the water company showed up because they realized something wrong when we used up 76000 gallons of water in 3 days. good to know

dumbandyoung
03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
all done as of today!!..now for that reimbursement check. lol.
....water will be shut off when the trailer is vacant from know on:D

BoneDaddy
03-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Great news!
I had a buddy in Corona that had a similar flood upstairs in his house. Flooded everything by the time they came home that night. Took almost six months before they could move back into the home.

Jordy
03-23-2007, 12:54 PM
the water company showed up because they realized something wrong when we used up 76000 gallons of water in 3 days. good to know
Must be some pretty incredible water pressure!!! :jawdrop: :D

WataDevil
03-23-2007, 01:18 PM
my biggest fear is the place burning down
In this case the fire would only have burned it to the "water line".
Hope all goes well with the repairs and replacements this doesn't sound like alot of fun.

YeLLowBoaT
03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
i'm shocked they did not just cut you a check for a new trailer... Water damage is never cheap.