PDA

View Full Version : OVERTON BEACH MARINA To CLOSE

Not So Fast
12-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Overton Beach Marina on Lake Mead will be closing due to low water levels and expiration of contract. The National Park Service has begun notifying boaters and nearby RV park of the closure.
NSF

lewiville
12-28-2006, 09:58 AM
i cant find anything on that

Not So Fast
12-28-2006, 10:40 AM
It was in Todays News Herald but that dont mean its true I guess:idea: Said they were moving some of the boat slips to other marinas. Approx 70 families who have made the park thier home or vacation spot will be forced to relocate. The primary reason is the water level. NSF

dirty old man
12-28-2006, 10:47 AM
see the post called Breaking News

OutCole'd
12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
It was on the local news this morning. More sad news for Mead.

Outnumbered
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136657

Not So Fast
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
last year i heard they where going to move it down about 5-6 miles on the right (going to echobay)to bad that was a great little place to put in ,hell you could wipe your boat off on the ramp:D
The bad news is the Supervisors for Mohave Co. have sold us out (yes even Buster has caved in apparently) as i just read they OK'ed the thousands of homes proposed by developers from Vegas in the Golden Valley, Meadview, Dolan Springs areas, also Kingmans thousands. Water availability was the holdup but with the amount of money we are talking about it wasnt enough to make them be cautious, which they should be. So the point is the area will be now become inundated with even more boaters and snowbirds, Jesus, this is the desert folks and the Colorado cant supply any more. Progress is wonderful:mad: NSF

Not So Fast
12-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Oh, I forgot, they are going to be putting water back into Mead but unfortunately it will be the treated water from Vegas sewer plants, gotta love thier creative thinking!!! NSF

Racer277
12-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh, I forgot, they are going to be putting water back into Mead but unfortunately it will be the treated water from Vegas sewer plants, gotta love thier creative thinking!!! NSF
I'll chip in for a pipeline, they can pump that to LA for drinking water...

Desert Rat
12-28-2006, 02:10 PM
I'll chip in for a pipeline, they can pump that to LA for drinking water...
Sorry Shawn, it already flows to Bako and OILDALE!!:crossx:

rude235
12-28-2006, 05:50 PM
The bad news is the Supervisors for Mohave Co. have sold us out (yes even Buster has caved in apparently) as i just read they OK'ed the thousands of homes proposed by developers from Vegas in the Golden Valley, Meadview, Dolan Springs areas, also Kingmans thousands. Water availability was the holdup but with the amount of money we are talking about it wasnt enough to make them be cautious, which they should be. So the point is the area will be now become inundated with even more boaters and snowbirds, Jesus, this is the desert folks and the Colorado cant supply any more. Progress is wonderful:mad: NSF
where did you read about that? i've been curious to see what happens with that area once the "by-pass" bridge at hoover is done. there is a master planned community planned for that area also from what i hear up here.

Outnumbered
12-28-2006, 07:33 PM
where did you read about that? i've been curious to see what happens with that area once the "by-pass" bridge at hoover is done. there is a master planned community planned for that area also from what i hear up here.
There are several planned. Vegas style suburban neighborhoods.http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Sep-05-Tue-2006/photos/2lake.jpg

Outnumbered
12-28-2006, 07:36 PM
http://www.whitehillsgroup.com/files/Builder_Stakes_Water_for_AZ.pdf

Outnumbered
12-28-2006, 07:38 PM
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Sep-05-Tue-2006/news/9410698.html

work2play
12-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Like I posted on another thread. I got notice from our houseboat partners that Overton Marina wiil be closed. The water is expected to drop another twenty feet. That would put the houseboats in the mud. Half of the slips are going to Calville Bay the other half to Temple Bar. That will happen in March. They figure by the end of summer even pleasure boats will have a hard time launching at the Oveton ramp. They had talk a year ago about moving Overton Marina south toward Echo. Just a mile or two. But it was going to cost millions and the park service wasn't going to help in the cost. Just not a way to get a return on their money. So they didn't do it. Lake Powell must be going to get all the new snow melt. There is starting to get a big snow pack in the Colorado river drainage and the Green river drainage. They might be a little quick with their decesion to move the marina.

Outnumbered
12-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Like I posted on another thread. I got notice from our houseboat partners that Overton Marina wiil be closed. The water is expected to drop another twenty feet. That would put the houseboats in the mud. Half of the slips are going to Calville Bay the other half to Temple Bar. That will happen in March. They figure by the end of summer even pleasure boats will have a hard time launching at the Oveton ramp. They had talk a year ago about moving Overton Marina south toward Echo. Just a mile or two. But it was going to cost millions and the park service wasn't going to help in the cost. Just not a way to get a return on their money. So they didn't do it. Lake Powell must be going to get all the new snow melt. There is starting to get a big snow pack in the Colorado river drainage and the Green river drainage. They might be a little quick with their decesion to move the marina.
Not sure if you saw my post about TB on the other thread or not but I am surprised that they are moving to Temple Bar. The bay that the marina is in is only about 20-25 feet deep as of last summer. If they are admitting that they expect a 20 foot drop I wonder what they plan to do with TB? I guess they plan to move it out and keep it as the only AZ access full-service marina. Considering the plans to build the area out with tract homes, TB will be just like Katherines Landing in about 10 years:( It is like history repeating itself. KL used to be the coolest place--the well kept secret. Now look at it.:(

rude235
12-29-2006, 07:48 AM
outnumbered, thanx for the links.

Hardly Satisfied
12-29-2006, 09:12 AM
very sad to hear, that alot things are going to be lossed form this

Debbolas
12-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Is Overton the marina that rents Halletts? :D
I think it was closed (due to water depth) the last time we visited Mead. We stayed at the RVpark at Temple Bar ( I think)

Not So Fast
12-29-2006, 02:35 PM
If you can get a copy of the "The Journal" (a little local rag of info in Mohave) they have an article about the Mardian developement in this issue, I just read it and the Mardians have sunk millions into this project and they say (yeah, IF you believe them) that they have found an abundance of water in the aquifer so its not a problem. The project is massive (White Hills) and is on 93 about half way between Kingman and the Vegas. it is now pristene but the tracts are a coming, they want to open the first phase in conjunction with the opening of the new bridge in 2008. The other developer is Rhoads Homes out of Vegas and is even a larger undertaking. Progress will ruin it for our children if you ask me. over population to the max.:( :( NSF

work2play
12-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes, Overton is the one that rents Hallets.

Debbolas
12-30-2006, 10:57 AM
yes it is :D
I forget who told me that ;)