PDA

View Full Version : mag's ?

carreraboat
12-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Why do you not see more magnito's in pleasure boats sure seems alot more simple?

IMPATIENT 1
12-28-2006, 05:20 PM
$$$$$$$$$ is the answer:D

gn7
12-29-2006, 07:36 AM
because they SUCK!!!!!

carreraboat
12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
so if you had a motor with one already on it would keep it for a pleasure/performance set up or are they not that reliable?

LynnsJet
12-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Hard starting may be the reason

IMPATIENT 1
12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
so if you had a motor with one already on it would keep it for a pleasure/performance set up or are they not that reliable?
the tx-1p condor i bought in aug. came with a vertex magneto, and i plan on leavin it on the blown bbc i'm building for next season. it works great, its simple, and its delivers rock steady timing.
Hard starting may be the reason:
nope, mine fires as soon as i unground it(flip on my ignition switch). most peeps using mags lock the timing and its just easier on your starting system to get the motor rotating and oil pressure building before the mill fires to life.
even if if i fire it cold and not let the mill turn over before, it fires up within 1-2seconds of hittin the starter.i'm sure my blower mill will take a second to fire up becuase of the distance the "prime shot" of fuel has to travel unaided to the cylinders, will see.

WannabeRacing
12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Few reasons-
-Most magneto set-ups are a lock out timing. Great for race engines, but advance, vacuum advance, timing curve are very helpful on an engine run under many rpm changes, part throttle applications, starting, etc.
-Rev limiters for the average magneto set-up is difficult and expensive. They are made, and more and more are coming around each year, but still not commonplace.
-Cost becomes an issure when you are buying brand new.
-People know standard ignitions, and tend to stay with what they know.
-These EFI units that speak to air, fuel and spark require standard type ignitions.
-There are more standard style ignitions in the real world, and that carries over.
-The local mechanic that helped you with your boat knows standard ignitions better than mags, so he told you to run something he can set-up or tune. Mags are not impossible to set up so they start, run well and work year after year, but some get frustrated before they get it right and go back to what they know. Then they tell their friends, and mags get a bad name.
-Until this year, getting a mag system that can do tricks like individual cylinder timing, progressive timing curves and high speed retards and the like was impossible. Now they are just really expensive.
-This is a generalization- and not always the case. But mags require a bit more maintenance year to year over many standard type ignitions.
Hope this helps.

Morg
12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Speaking of mags.
I have a complete MSD setup, 6al, HVC II coil, billet dist. & 8.8 wires.
Sitting on the shelf.
So far, 1-1/2 seasons of MSD 2 failures. 1/2 season with mag. no failures.
Anybody looking for some MSD stuff?

Willis
12-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Speaking of mags.
I have a complete MSD setup, 6al, HVC II coil, billet dist. & 8.8 wires.
Sitting on the shelf.
So far, 1-1/2 seasons of MSD 2 failures. 1/2 season with mag. no failures.
Anybody looking for some MSD stuff?
:messedup:
Hello People,
Just wanted to say that I have a MSD 6AL, MSD small diameter dist and coil.
Have been running this part since 1998 in 19' Howard Jet Drive.
Zero failure.
Willis

Fiat48
12-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Shows how mileage varies.
Running mags since 1977. Vertex and Mallory Super Mag II and III's. Never had a misfire or failure. About every 5 or so years I would feel guilty and send them to be checked. I quit that in 1995. I just leave em alone.
Side note: The vertex gets along fne with advance weights. The Supermag will tear the pins off it so dont even consider advance weights in a super mag.

Morg
12-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Hello People,
Just wanted to say that I have a MSD 6AL, MSD small diameter dist and coil.
Have been running this part since 1998 in 19' Howard Jet Drive.
Zero failure.
Willis
Willis, I ran MSD for years in my old flat. Never had a problem. In fact I know it is still running strong. The old boat had a BBF spinning 6K. Now the new boat has a BBC spinning 7800. I just think I may have gone beyond the real of reliability with the 6AL. Maybe a potted high vibration box would solve it????
Yes Nascar runs them harder than I do, but they do run a backup.
The mag. was installed to see if it was the ignition. I was told by MSD that I cannot have the coil wires & the mag trigger anywhere near each other. I originally wired them in the same sheath. Why would it work & then all of a sudden fail???
Any who, now I am digging the simplicity of the mag. Planning on it staying on the boat

Willis
12-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Any who, now I am digging the simplicity of the mag. Planning on it staying on the boat
Morg,
If it works for you, then stay with what works, I just like MSD 6Al Box for the pleasure boat.
The race boat, we us a MSD 10 system. I have no problems and yes, I do have a MSD 12 Mag too. Prefer the 10 Box.
:idea:

Morg
12-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Ya wanna sell the MSD 12??

78Eliminator
12-30-2006, 02:20 PM
I have had 3 MSD 6A boxes go bad on me. I hate those friggin things.

Morg
12-30-2006, 03:11 PM
I have had 3 MSD 6A boxes go bad on me. I hate those friggin things.
So it is your fault. Mine went bad when we were at Lahonton. It was not all the rocker.

78Eliminator
12-30-2006, 07:39 PM
So it is your fault. Mine went bad when we were at Lahonton. It was not all the rocker.
Probably.... I had one go bad in a street car and two in boats. Only problem with the mag is that you have to make sure that it's properly grounded. :D
I missed a ground wire when I was hooking up my battery last time out. When I went to kill the motor by pulling the lanyard, she just kept running. Had to cut fuel. Stupid rookie mistake. Now I triple check all the stuff on the trailer before it ever gets wet.

Blown 472
12-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Should one use a mag with locked timing for drag racing?

sweet-v
12-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info all. I'm thinking about buying a magneto cause I have no room for a friggin alternator and this thread has been informative!

Fiat48
12-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Should one use a mag with locked timing for drag racing?
If it is a blown deal. Unblown with any real compression and the motor wants to kick back on ya. Broken starters, etc.

GofastRacer
01-01-2007, 06:46 AM
I got my first Vertex in the early 80's, I used it in my race motor and my ski boat and I'm still using it today and it never missed a beat once, and I run a curve not locked out, unless it's a blown motor there's no reason to have it locked out, just tears up starters and ring gears!.. I finally had to have it freshened up last year now it's good for another 20 years!.. I think that justifies the cost!..

VDRIVERACING
01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
For a pleasure boat, I'd go with a simple distributor setup (not all the add on gizmos) and forget about it. If you're going to punish her, a mag is effective, simple, and reliable.
Mags are great for race boats, and well suited for blown motors because they tend to have lower static compression so starting up with a lot of timing is not a problem. I have been racing with a mag for years. Its simple; has never failed, and no additional components needed (or to fail). I do take it out every year to Don Zig for a check up. (race boat - everything comes out for inspection/rebuild every season - big pain required for the big thrill).
For a pleasure/ski boat, a standard ignition is fine. As noted above, standard dist's are designed to work in a wide variey of operating conditions. Mags can work on a pleasure boat, but they are intended for high speed, racing applications. I compare it to a big cam for a boat that is mostly seeing recreational ski action. Sounds cool, but is a mis-match for the general application. (pleasure boat - wash it, put the cover on, pull it out of the garage next season - fun - chick magnet).

Blown 472
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM
If it is a blown deal. Unblown with any real compression and the motor wants to kick back on ya. Broken starters, etc.
Can you lock out a vertex? will a vertex be enough for a blown alky dealio?

Roaddogg 4040
01-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Yes and Yes...
Steve

obnoxious001
01-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a good used Vertex (locked out), slip collar with Mallory wires for BBC if someone needs one.

Willis
01-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Ya wanna sell the MSD 12??
Yes its for sale
PM me about the details
MSD Pro Mag 12 Cw Band clamp Long duration MSD points box
Willis
Customlinkage@socal.rr.com