PDA

View Full Version : CMI Headers for the 496 HO

nobaddays
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on this system, reliabilty, increase in MPH, is it worth the $$$$. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Not So Fast
12-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on this system, reliabilty, increase in MPH, is it worth the $$$$. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Search ULTRA 26 #1. He installed his and has posted results. NSF

Beer-30
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Other keywords to search here, are "496 exhaust"

SoCalSouthpaw
12-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Pick 'em up bro. I did last year. Dont know bout the increased HP - but pretty nice response and sound is nice and throaty!!!!

Beer-30
12-28-2006, 01:19 PM
If you don't have to have stainless (not running saltwater), then the Lightnings are $1899 almost everywhere. It does note that the filter needs to be relocated, which would mean it is not included. Any brand you get will not be 100% bolt on.

beaverretriever
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Here is some good info on the CMIs in this thread.
Good luck
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=132046

Not So Fast
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
If you don't have to have stainless (not running saltwater), then the Lightnings are $1899 almost everywhere. It does note that the filter needs to be relocated, which would mean it is not included. Any brand you get will not be 100% bolt on.
I think you have to relocate the filter with the CMI's also Paul. NSF

Cole Trickle
12-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Save the money for a bigger motor in the next boat.:)

Not So Fast
12-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Save the money for a bigger motor in the next boat.:)
EXACTLY, or a blue motor for the present one. NSF

ULTRA26 # 1
12-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I have always thought that Lightning headers are made from stainless. Just not polished. However, i could be wrong on this one.
John M

Beer-30
12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I have always thought that Lightning headers are made from stainless. Just not polished. However, i could be wrong on this one.
John M
Kinda. The INNER tubes are stainless. Outers are in/out coated steel. The all-stainless ones are over $3K also.
NSF, yeah, all headers will require relocation. I believe the CMIs include a kit, but the Lightnings make it clear that they don't.

GHT
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I think FRENCHIE put a pair on each of his 496's in his 29' Shockwave. I think (but I'm not for sure) he got a few mph out of them.

Dana Marine Products
12-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Not to be a thread robber here, but I happen to know of a company that will be releasing a new 496 exhaust kit at LA. There will be some interesting information available at the show.

Havasu1986
12-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Is it Rex Marine:D

Beer-30
12-28-2006, 05:48 PM
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/EX-2000-1.jpg
EX-2000
496 Flow Torque Exhaust Kit
DMP has assembled the best after market exhaust system for Mercruiser 496 engines. Kit includes our high performance internally runnered manifolds with our all stainless steel tube style risers. This is a direct Mercruiser replacement for 496 Mag and HO engines. Includes all mounting hardware and brackets.
$2,150.00

ToMorrow44
12-28-2006, 07:12 PM
The CMI kit, although pricey, is probably the best bang for the buck for the 496. Pretty much all boats pick up 3-6mph throughout the entire powerband. Some boats even increase a full prop size. The CMI kits however, do not follow all the little design changes of the 496. There will be a few little things here and there that do not match up and that's because Mercury has changed it over the years. So there might be some slight fabrication involved but very minor. You will most likely have to have new tails made unless your boat will accept the standard bravo tails supplied in the CMI kit (I think). Overall, a good and definitely proven system for the 496. And they sound like a big nasty big block.
-Tom

nobaddays
12-28-2006, 07:59 PM
whats the dana marine going to go for?

Beer-30
12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
whats the dana marine going to go for?
It's right there at the bottom of the post.

Dana Marine Products
12-29-2006, 07:19 AM
The system on our site was a "good guess" at what the system will end up as. It's close, but not perfect. What we've actually ended up with is slightly different. This is a kit that is a direct bolt on. It won't matter if you have "s" pipes, silent choice, or thru transom, these will fit directly in place of your stock system. And this will be a a real "kit". Something just about anyone can install with no fabrication needed.
We'll have some real HP numbers, documented, not just written. We're finishing up a couple of the brackets right now, and the cost most likely will go up slightly. The goal right now is to have an introductory price of $2150.00. After the LA and Miami boat show, the price will be roughly $2395.00.

Beer-30
12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm holding out for the Glenwood log kit. :)
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/EXM-9560-1.jpg

Beer-30
12-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Not to be a thread robber here, but I happen to know of a company that will be releasing a new 496 exhaust kit at LA. There will be some interesting information available at the show.
Any valve covers on the horizon?

Dana Marine Products
12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Is the request for valve covers just a cosmetic issue, or would they need to have a function?
As far as the GW log kit, we're waiting on the foundry to pour the new manifolds with the 496 logo in them.

Beer-30
12-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Is the request for valve covers just a cosmetic issue, or would they need to have a function?
As far as the GW log kit, we're waiting on the foundry to pour the new manifolds with the 496 logo in them.
Purely function. One has to really jump through hoops to put performance valvetrain components under the stock covers - and limited to certain size pieces. There was a company making some spacers to give the needed height, but they are no longer available. Another aftermarket co. has just come out with a 2-piece cover, but it is pricey and requires coil relocation. A cover is needed that would allow for even a stud-girdle, if wanted, and keep the coils in stock location.

Not So Fast
12-30-2006, 12:29 PM
The system on our site was a "good guess" at what the system will end up as. It's close, but not perfect. What we've actually ended up with is slightly different. This is a kit that is a direct bolt on. It won't matter if you have "s" pipes, silent choice, or thru transom, these will fit directly in place of your stock system. And this will be a a real "kit". Something just about anyone can install with no fabrication needed.
We'll have some real HP numbers, documented, not just written. We're finishing up a couple of the brackets right now, and the cost most likely will go up slightly. The goal right now is to have an introductory price of $2150.00. After the LA and Miami boat show, the price will be roughly $2395.00.
Do you happen to need a mock up boat? seriously?? I'm available. ;) NSF

Dana Marine Products
12-30-2006, 02:39 PM
We've got two engines on our floor, so we know what to do to get the manifolds installed. We're going to the dyno on weds. So I'll have some real #'s. We have two potential boats lined up for on the water testing. I'll keep you updated if something does not come through. Your generosity is much appreciated, and I may end up taking you up on your offer. Thanks!!!

Not So Fast
12-30-2006, 05:44 PM
We've got two engines on our floor, so we know what to do to get the manifolds installed. We're going to the dyno on weds. So I'll have some real #'s. We have two potential boats lined up for on the water testing. I'll keep you updated if something does not come through. Your generosity is much appreciated, and I may end up taking you up on your offer. Thanks!!!
No problemo, just give me a call. Me and Boat reside in Havasu. I would still be interested as heck when you get any info so be sure and post it. Thanks, NSF (Bobby)

JB in so cal
12-30-2006, 05:54 PM
No problemo, just give me a call. Me and Boat reside in Havasu. I would still be interested as heck when you get any info so be sure and post it. Thanks, NSF (Bobby)
I will be interested come Boat Show time, too...

melbatoast
01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
i think it was powerboat that ran a tech article last summer about them and claimed just under 50 hp gain as far as mph gain it depends on the boat.