PDA

View Full Version : Paint ?

BLOWN JOB
12-28-2006, 06:58 PM
What kind of paint is the best

Jbb
12-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Kind of a loaded question, but ok...I'll bite...:D
I will assume you are asking about paint for a boat....
True Polyurethane is the toughes paint around.....In my opinion...It is also the most dangerous to your health...It also for the most part ..cant be buffed...{Although my paint rep where I work just just last week gave me some poly clear he claims buffs ok.....we will soon find out}
Trouble with the polys is they dry so hard they lose the buffing window that other paints have....
That leaves Acrylic urethane...In single stage and base clear....these paints can be sanded and buffed to look as shiny as a new dime....they are not as tough as polys,....but just about all the painters I know use them....Unlimited tape outs and color blend possibilities can be had...
All the major brands are pretty much equal as far as useability and durability...In my opinion....Most painters are happy with a brand for whatever reason....but I have tried just about all of them.....and they all can be used with great success
My favorites are
House of Kolor......except they're clears...
PPG
Standox
Glasurit
Sherwin Williams
Most painters try alot of different stuff ...and settle with a few favorites...Most recently I find myself using HOK and PPG primarily..
Hope this helps

full throttle
12-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I have used Dupont Nason automotive paint on a few boats, with great results. The last boat, I used Interlux Brightside poly. It's awesome. I likes it so much, I may try to paint my old bronco with it. Awlgrip is great too.

BLOWN JOB
12-30-2006, 04:29 PM
thanks guys

Nick69
01-07-2007, 12:54 AM
standox, or spies/hecker are the best, sikkens and glasurit come in second and be sure to use their high solids clear, spend a little extra the first time and do it one time:)

jimslade
01-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I agree with Jbb. Linear polyurethanes are the best.ie Awlgrip or Imron but they will kill you and are hard to fix if you mess up. Go with a acrylic urethane topcoat. The problem with most topcoat applications is they neglect the primer coat. Top coat with a hard epoxy primer. This is essential.