PDA

View Full Version : what about the bbc is it gone?

sangerfan76
12-28-2006, 11:29 PM
i have been kicking myself to buy a new truck. but can seem to afford the duramax 6.6 with the fuel prices as high as they are. i was told the new diesel is going to be re done to accept the new diesel fuelss. i have read on here before that many are still happy with the bbc or 8.1 . I dont tow all the time and my boat weighs only 7200lbs. my uncles 6.0 pulls it ok but will be getting a larger boat in near future. does GM still put the 8.1 in the 2500 4dr 4wd or is the 6.0 it. seems every truck lot im on im swarmed with guels wanting to sell me something. please shoot me some form of info.

curtis73
12-29-2006, 10:49 AM
I know that diesel is still hated by many, but for me the recipe is simple.
-22 mpg instead of 9
-less complex instead of more
-triple the torque, with up to 1000 lb-ft on tap with $1000 in mods
-much higher resale value
-much longer service life
-more thermally stable
-much safer fuel if spilled or in an accident
-less HC and CO emissions.
The only real drawback to diesel I can see is if you plan on NOT doing maintenance and repairs yourself after the warranty is over. Oil changes are roughly twice as much as a gas engine, but I certainly don't bicker over $35 instead of $18. Real, in-depth repairs will SOAK you in labor. Good diesel mechanics cost about $100 an hour, and GM service mechanics take five days to repair stuff at $60 an hour.
You can't really look at diesel as costing more, or having different fuel costs, or maintenance costs. Sit down and do the math as if you were buying a diesel, driving it 15k a year, then selling it ten years later. A 10-year-old diesel with 150k on the clock still brings insane money. Then do the math on the same vehicle with the big block. I think with the diesel you'll find you get all your extra maintenance costs back and then some. Even if you had to have one major repair done out of warranty and it cost $3000, you'll still be ahead.

curtis73
12-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Good examples on Ebay right now.
96 F250, 7.5 gas with 250k, squeaky clean inside and out finished at $4100 with 4x4
96 F250, 7.3 diesel with 230k, crippled financially by a 5 speed and 2-wheel drive finished at $7000
I don't think that the powerstroke cost $2900 more over the 7.5 when it was new, so this owner probably came out spending a little less for ownership than the gas.
Just a thought.

dumbandyoung
12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
ill never go back.. i love diesel. better mpg!..you get like 15 per gal when towing. rather than 7.. cost a little more but i think it evens out at the end of the year. oil changes are great to cause the filter is on the top. and you dont need them til 7k miles

dumbandyoung
12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
I know that diesel is still hated by many, but for me the recipe is simple.
-22 mpg instead of 9
-less complex instead of more
-triple the torque, with up to 1000 lb-ft on tap with $1000 in mods
-much higher resale value
-much longer service life
-more thermally stable
-much safer fuel if spilled or in an accident
-less HC and CO emissions.
The only real drawback to diesel I can see is if you plan on NOT doing maintenance and repairs yourself after the warranty is over. Oil changes are roughly twice as much as a gas engine, but I certainly don't bicker over $35 instead of $18. Real, in-depth repairs will SOAK you in labor. Good diesel mechanics cost about $100 an hour, and GM service mechanics take five days to repair stuff at $60 an hour.
You can't really look at diesel as costing more, or having different fuel costs, or maintenance costs. Sit down and do the math as if you were buying a diesel, driving it 15k a year, then selling it ten years later. A 10-year-old diesel with 150k on the clock still brings insane money. Then do the math on the same vehicle with the big block. I think with the diesel you'll find you get all your extra maintenance costs back and then some. Even if you had to have one major repair done out of warranty and it cost $3000, you'll still be ahead.
where you getting 35 dollar oil changes? everywhere i called wanted atleast a bill. i did it myself and the filter and oil ended up costing me $55 alone.

curtis73
12-30-2006, 06:24 PM
where you getting 35 dollar oil changes? everywhere i called wanted atleast a bill. i did it myself and the filter and oil ended up costing me $55 alone.
95 powerstroke
14 qts 15w40 rotella in gallon containers = $29
Filter = $6
That adds up to $35
If you take it somewhere to have it done, they nearly pee their pants. Its like driving a BMW or Mercedes in for an oil change. They see diesel and triple the price... just because its diesel. I NEVER trust anyone else to do my oil changes. I build my own engines, and I would never EVER take it somewhere to have the oil changed. If I'm on the road cross country and its due, I would rather go 1000 miles past due and just complete the trip before I'll stop at a Jiffy Lube or WalMart.
The most expensive oil change I ever had done on that 'stroke was in Canada. I took it to a dealer because it really needed to be done. They charged me $75 cdn and that was during a favorable exchange period. I remember converting it to USD and it was $58. Given that Canadians pay a lot more for petroleum than we do, I didn't think it was too bad.

YeLLowBoaT
12-30-2006, 06:31 PM
my dad just bought a loaded 2500 4x4 with the 496... he has only put 3 tanks of gas thru it, he has gotten less then 7 mpg. :eek: All he has done is drive it back and forth to work in "city driving" he start work late and gets off late so its not traffic... just stop and go. He drives it really ez, does not start or stop fast.
just something to think about.

BAE_557
12-31-2006, 09:19 AM
I have an 03 Dually Crew Cab 4x4 with an 8.1, it gets 10 MPG city, highway, towing, not towing, uphill, downhill and idling in the driveway.
I am looking into getting a Whipple to increase efficiency and gas mileage.
Has anybody had success with increasing gas mileage with the 8.1?

Beer-30
12-31-2006, 01:25 PM
I have an 03 Dually Crew Cab 4x4 with an 8.1, it gets 10 MPG city, highway, towing, not towing, uphill, downhill and idling in the driveway.
496 cubic inches of air, mixed properly with adequate ratio of fuel, 14.7:1 (cruise), is going to be the mileage you get. The more cubes, the lesser mileage.
About the only way to get more MPG out of gas motors is with excellent EFI (already done) or lowering the RPM. The fewer cycles of the crankshaft is fewer times that fuel has to be mixed and ignited. Gearing or additional overdrive.
Adding a Whipple will not change mileage. I had a 95 3/4 ton with a 350 that got 10. It got 10 after the whipple. The only difference was the power and lesser mileage under a load (more fuel for the boost/hp) - and don't forget that it would then require 91 at the pump.

HammerDown
01-01-2007, 11:23 AM
My tip to the original poster...(if) you can find a late model 7.3 buy it. I've had a diesel back when "fuel" was way below the price of regular grade gas. 20 years ago, AND they were EASY to repair. Those days are long gone!
Trust this, these new diesels w/all their emissions and computer crap don't have anyone in the shops that can fix-em right...seen it first hand w/my neighbors newer Diesel. And when that new Ford, Chevy, Dodge is outta warrantee it's going to clean your pockets for ya when it needs to be fixed! Do you have ANY idea what one Injector alone or Injector Pump cost for one of these new trucks.:sqeyes: ..BIG $$$
At least the older 7.3 CAN be easily serviced by the owner if needed, and it won't cripple them to bad.
The bottom line...IF you're going to (work that Diesel engine) like it was ment to be on a (daily basis)...vs gettin one for the simple occasional boat tow or as a grocery getter, it's simply not a good choice.

565edge
01-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a crew cab short bed 2wd. 8.1 and love it.I have had plenty of diesles before and still prefer one.I just could not afford it this time..The 8.1 was a dog stock.I was not impressed.I bought the Volant air cleaner and new duct for it.Installed a 4" exhaust after a dual 3" inlet single 4" out flowmaster and installed a Westers Garage computer.The truck is night and day.On the highway with a 285 tire it has gotten 13 mpg.The power increase with that computer is amazing.Due not get the hyperchip or superchip.Step up and buy the westers garage and you will not be dissapointed!I can get you thier number if needed.

sangerfan76
01-02-2007, 07:00 AM
hey thanks for the info. ill look for a diesel now im sold on it. i got a call from the dealership yesterday and wanted to push a big gas on me then told me they get 15mpg. even i know they dont. mine gets 8 no matter what i do with it. the guy at the dealership got mad when i told him the only way it will get 15mpg is if its dropped off a building. when was the 7.3 stopped in the fords.

dumbandyoung
01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
95 powerstroke
14 qts 15w40 rotella in gallon containers = $29
Filter = $6
That adds up to $35
If you take it somewhere to have it done, they nearly pee their pants. Its like driving a BMW or Mercedes in for an oil change. They see diesel and triple the price... just because its diesel. I NEVER trust anyone else to do my oil changes. I build my own engines, and I would never EVER take it somewhere to have the oil changed. If I'm on the road cross country and its due, I would rather go 1000 miles past due and just complete the trip before I'll stop at a Jiffy Lube or WalMart.
The most expensive oil change I ever had done on that 'stroke was in Canada. I took it to a dealer because it really needed to be done. They charged me $75 cdn and that was during a favorable exchange period. I remember converting it to USD and it was $58. Given that Canadians pay a lot more for petroleum than we do, I didn't think it was too bad.
yah the dealers sh!t there pants... which i think is strange because my powerstroke is so much easier than a gas car because the filter is on the top of the motor.
and where the hell are you getting $6 filters??.. i pay $20 for a motor craft
15 quarts of oil=35
filter= 20
$55:hammer2:

curtis73
01-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I get the STP filters at Auto Zone which I decided on after reading these pages:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
I think they're $5.59 at Auto Zone, but to tell you the truth, I sold the truck so its been a year or so since I bought that filter specifically.