PDA

View Full Version : Funny Boat Stories

Stab-n-Steer
01-29-2002, 12:16 PM
For those of us relatively new to the forum (like me) I thought you might appreciate an old thread I found in the "Hot Boats Hot Spots" section. It's called "Funny Boat Stories". All of us have stories and this is a great collection. I laughed for an hour reading them. There's one clear winning story that involves a dog. Make sure you find that one. If anyone has anymore to add post them here, it'll make the winter go by faster!
Click below to get there. Enjoy!
S&S
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000418.html

EricinNv
01-29-2002, 07:13 PM
I'm always for a good laugh, even when I'm the "Butt" of the joke. On to OP6C!

LeadFootTheRabbit
01-29-2002, 08:59 PM
I'm in complete agreement here. A couple of months ago I found that thread and laughed my a$$ off. The dog story that EricInNevada provided was far and long the best but I also enjoyed the boat ramp stories. Thanks for bringing it back up. LDFTRBT

Thunderbutt
01-30-2002, 06:47 AM
Here's one, In the mid 70's we use to stay at Buckskin, All of the boat are anchored bow out there most have been 20 or 30 boats. One day these kids from another camp or maybe not even camped there were skiping rocks on the water. Three guy' about 3 sites from use got all pissed because they almost hit there boat, so they cussed the kids out and throw rocks at them, so the kids took off. That evening I told my son let's pull our boat out. I had a bad feeling about those kids. I was right the next morning the three boats that were in that camp site were bow up an sunk. They pull the plugs during the night

Stab-n-Steer
01-30-2002, 07:34 AM
Eric,
That story has become a classic! Boat ramp stories are the best and your's doesn't even involve a boat!
There's a marina in the Delta near Discovery Bay called Orwood Resort. Years ago they actually erected bleachers next to the ramp to watch the activity. At the end of the day, all the rowdy's sit in the bleachers with ice chests full of beer and cheer you on as you haul out your boat. Talk about pressure! To make matters worse, the ramp is long and narrow so you realy have to thread the needle to make it down in one try. Sometimes they use score cards and "judge" your effort. They also judge your boat, your tow rig and your wife/girlfriend. I have seen more than one guy get pissed when his woman is being ogled by a bleacher full of drunks. There's not a whole lot you can do about it however, it's a very tough crowd!
S&S

pgf127rt
01-31-2002, 06:47 AM
I have a boat ramp story from Texas; one Saturday morning in the early 80's I drove to the marina of the development I live in, while passing the boat ramp I notice a man holding the rope to which his bass boat is attached, as I passed by he turned his back to me very quicly, thinking nothing about it I went to the marina, and turned around and as I approached the guy was still there and he turned around again, at this time I noticed there were no vehicles at the ramp, so I pulle into the ramp and asked if he had problems, that is when I saw the antenna sticking out of the water and the bubbles comin up, well It turned out to be my State Farm Ins. man, who was very embarassed, seeing as how he had backed the Buick into the water alittle too far, and back to the reason why I was going to the marina, to check how rough the water was on the lake, seems as how the gas tank on the old Buick was almost empty and when the waves got under it the back end floated, and as they say the rest is history, oh yeah I asked if he had marine Insurance on the Buick.

Thunderbutt
01-31-2002, 08:19 AM
I have a ramp story. At lake San Antoine in central Califorina I'm sitting on the dock holding my boat while my wife and kids are up at the campground. This guy is directing his wife who is backing the trailer down the ramp, and he is screaming at her go left, go right an so on. After he pushes the boat off of the trailer and she is heading for the parking lot he notices the plug is not in so he is screaming again to come back as the plug is in the car and she can't hear him. It was a jet boat and had a shallow draft so I told him to put his thumb over the hole while I looked for a spare plug in my boat. I found the plug and went over to give it to him. He did't put his thumb over the hole he put it in the hole. Now his thumb has swollen up and he can't get it out. He's in a state of shock thinking he's going to go through life with this boat attached to his thumb. By this time his wife came down and he's giving her hell for not hearing him. I told his wife to get in the boat, pull the oil dipstick and smear some oil on the part of his thumb that is on the inside of the hole. After a few wiggles and a little tugging he got his thumb out, put in my plug and took off without a word. I had to chase him down to get my plug back. Such is boating

01-31-2002, 10:46 AM
Thunderbutt, Not even a "thank you"?

Thunderbutt
01-31-2002, 01:35 PM
No thank you, not even a beer Originally posted by 058:
Thunderbutt, Not even a "thank you"?

Stab-n-Steer
01-31-2002, 06:18 PM
pgf127rt, Thunderbutt,
Great stories! The husband and wife combo is never a good deal when it comes to boat launching. I am amazed that my parents stayed married after all the years they were boating.
Last summer I was at Orwood having a beer with the bleacher crowd when this couple pulls up in a 19' Bayliner with an outdrive. He runs to fetch the trailer, backs down the ramp then jumps out to tend to the boat. His wife jumps behind the wheel of the truck. So far so good.
Since there's several boats waiting he quickly gets the boat on the trailer and tells his wife to "Go! Go! GO!" She quickly pulls up the ramp as he's walking beside the boat. When far enough out, he reaches down and pulls the plug without missing a beat. Very efficient, they've done this before...
As the boat reaches the top of the ramp, we hear this horrible scraping sound - The outdrive is still down! He starts yelling for her to "STOP! STOP!" She has the radio blarring, can't hear him and keeps on going. He stupidly tries to chase after her up a wet ramp wearing flip-flops. He loses traction, slips and does a massive face-plant about halfway up the ramp. Meanwhile, she is digging a trench with the outdrive across the paved parking lot, everyone yelling at her to stop. She finally does stop about a hundred yards later in the staging area.
Oblivious, she jumps out of the truck just in time to greet her husband who's storming across the parking lot like a locomotive, all muddy and dirty with bloody knees and elbows, pissed as hell.
Back in the bleachers, we are dying laughing - I mean roaring! He's in her face waving his arms yelling and screaming. Of course she gets pissed at him for yelling at her and storms off to the restroom. (We've all been there guys!) One of the crowd feels sorry for the guy and goes over to offer him a beer trying to calm him down. He tells the guy to go F**k himself!
I'm sure it was a long ride home for the Bayliner couple...
S&S

01-31-2002, 08:07 PM
Some people have no class, The "thankless" guy and now the Bayliner guy...Reminds me of a day at Tulloch. My wife and I would grab a few beverages after our boat was back on the trailer and go to the ramp for the evenings entertainment, we weren't disappointed this time, here comes a Dodge van backing a empty trailer down the ramp just as a 20' daycruiser painted to match the Dodge was approching, the young lady was having a hard time backing the trailer down the narrow ramp and got it crossed up a bit, the guy seeing this starts yelling and cursing. After several minutes of this abuse the young lady starts crying. My wife not one to stand by when this type of thing happens goes over the the lady in distress and talks her into leaving the van right where it lay, crossed up on the ramp. The guy is now livid. His "1st mate" is now gone and he doesn't have any help at all with his boat. Nobody would help him because they all saw what an a$$hole this guy was. When we left the ramp he was still wrestling with his boat by himself.

EricinNv
01-31-2002, 09:05 PM
Easter vacation of '68 or '69, Parker strip. The Christmas before, my folks had bought me my first set of water skis. Now was my turn to learn how to ski. Being a short & fat 11 year old, I was having my difficulties getting up. Dad decided to take a different approach and thought he would have mom drive, little brother as the observer, and would have me "take off" in 4 or 5 feet of water, so that he could stand behind me and hold me upright until the boat popped me out of the water. We were at a little beach area maybe 50 yards up river from our launch ramp (yes, the infamous one) and simultaneously there was a guy standing on one of the slips with a single ski on and his wife was ilding their boat away from the dock. It was obvious to me,as I was paying more attention to him than to my own going ons, that he was about to do one of those hot dog shore starts from the slip. Well by this time my mom has the slack out of the tow rope and dad hollers "HIT IT"! By not having my grip ready pulled the rope handles from my hand after it jerked me out of the water a couple of feet. But I was back up to the surface quick enough to see what happened to the "Hot Dog" skier. His wife heard my dad holler "Hit it" and thought it was her husband. The poor guy had probably 10 feet of slack in his rope and tried to go with it when she launched him off the dock. Best damn superman imitation I've ever seen. As she circled around, he gave her the best X-rated tongue lashing I'd heard up to that time. To this day I still have the urge to holler "Hit it" whenever I see a guy getting ready to take off.

flattie
01-31-2002, 09:54 PM
Has anyone ever hit a dock going 35mph on water skis? I have I don't remember much other than I thought I was dead. I was about 10yrs old at the time. OH yeah the life jacket saved my life

02-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Hitting a dock? yeah once, not me, thank God but a friend was comming into the dock and misjudged his speed, hit the dock and tore his leg wide open. Major loss of blood, broken leg and about 200 stiches to close it up. It was an ugly scene.

LeadFootTheRabbit
02-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Back in 1982-83 a couple friends and I were skiing at a place called "SKI-LAND" near Perris, Ca.. It was a place that alot of you will remember had drag boat races and you could also water ski. My friend Eric was riding my old plank (a 70 inch square back triple concave Vogue) and cutting as hard as he could. On one of his cuts he was really hangin it out there when all the sudden the ski stopped about 25' from shore and Eric rolled and splashed across the water, up the beach and hit his head on the bleachers 10-15' off the shoreline. After we got the bleeding stopped and all bandaged up, we put him in his truck so he could drive himself to the hospital. Ya I know, what good friends, but hell we still had a half of day of skiing left. I got my ski, it was still in the same place that Eric had come out of it, wadded through the mud back to deeper water and put it on. When I came out of the water I noticed right a way that the ski didn't feel right so I dropped back into the water took off my ski to look at it. When I turned it over it had a clump of mud the size of a grapefruit on the skag from when Eric had wipped out. Just another fun day of skiing...20 years ago LDFTRBT

EricinNv
02-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Hey Ldftrbt,
Was "Ski Land" like a big oval? Like an Island in the middle and all traffic had to go one direction? If so, I remember going there with my dad and they kicked us out cuz he wasn't an outboard (I think that was the reason. That was probably pre 1970) or maybe cuz he had open exhaust. What ever the reason, we got kicked out of the place after only one go around.
Eric

Thunderbutt
02-01-2002, 03:13 PM
Here is one of my stupid tricks. At lake Castaic in the middle of July we came in after a fun day of skiing and a few beers, pulled up to the dock and I headed up to get the truck and trailer. About two thirds of the way up that long ramp I realize that I am leaving the skin on the bottom of my feet on the pavement. I forgot to put on my slaps. So I jump on someone's trailer which is parked. In the bed of the truck that was hooked to the trailer there was a pair of shoes. I did put the shoes back when I finished. Hey, sometimes you're having so much fun you forget to think.

LeadFootTheRabbit
02-01-2002, 05:54 PM
EricinNv, 10-4 on the big oval. It was kinda L shaped and had a couple islands. In the mid 60's my dad ran a flatbottom in the drags there. It was closed for many years and then reopened for a while in the 1980's. It was in the early 80's that we skiied there. I always skiied there in a pump or an outdrive but it seems to me that other drives were also allowed. Again, thanks for that dog and water story. I've sent it to alot of friends. LDFTRBT

Infomaniac
01-10-2009, 02:06 PM
bump

sciatica
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm new to the forum. I own an old 1962 Biesmeyer with a straight shaft small block Chevy as described by another poster Stab and Steer that was looking for information on his boat. I'm in Northern California and it sounds like our boats our similar. Mine has a rounded back and I cant' seem to find much information about it. If anyone can help me communicate with him, it might help us with a little bit of history. Dean