PDA

View Full Version : 540 merlin

dumbandyoung
12-29-2006, 03:09 PM
some guy told me he has a 28' conquest deck with a 540 melin with 575 hp and xr drive.. says it will do 85mph.
what are everyone elses thoughts?:confused: :confused:

phebus
12-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Sounds a little optimistic to me. A 28' Magic Deck with a stock 496HO, can get up to 70mph, so with only 150 additional horses, 85mph sounds a little high. I do bet that it is an 80mph boat though.

syke-o
12-29-2006, 03:30 PM
how many boats are you gonna ask about??? i cant count how many threads i have seen with you asking about one boat or another.. havent you narrowed it down yet??

djunkie
12-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds a little optimistic to me. A 28' Magic Deck with a stock 496HO, can get up to 70mph, so with only 150 additional horses, 85mph sounds a little high. I do bet that it is an 80mph boat though.
I thought the Conquest was a faster hull than the Magic. :confused:

dumbandyoung
12-29-2006, 03:38 PM
how many boats are you gonna ask about??? i cant count how many threads i have seen with you asking about one boat or another.. havent you narrowed it down yet??
dude, it took me 5months to buy a new truck i could'nt decide to buy a ford or chevy a diesel or gas a long bed or short a 4wd or 2wd.. i think i have a problem haha. i think the real estate business messed up my head.:D :D
to answer your question, yah ive narrowed it down.. magic, conquest or eliminator. i ask alot of questions.:hammer2:

dumbandyoung
12-29-2006, 03:40 PM
thats what i thought.. buy not 15mph faster

OutCole'd
12-29-2006, 03:42 PM
I would believe it. My boat has done 84 under the very best of conditions with a 525 merc.

OutCole'd
12-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Depends on the year. I'm not sure about the new Conquest, but the older model was 3-4 mph slower than the Magic with same power. It was a heavier boat.

JB in so cal
12-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I would believe it. My boat has done 84 under the very best of conditions with a 525 merc.
Like with an empty iice chest:)

djunkie
12-29-2006, 03:56 PM
thats what i thought.. buy not 15mph faster
With the same power the Conquest I believe is faster. I would not be suprised if it did run that fast under "ideal" conditions.

OutCole'd
12-29-2006, 04:02 PM
With the same power the Conquest I believe is faster. I would not be suprised if it did run that fast under "ideal" conditions.
Well you believe wrong damnit.:D

djunkie
12-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Well you believe wrong damnit.:D
No your wrong!!!!!!! And my dad can beat up your dad!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

OutCole'd
12-29-2006, 04:10 PM
No your wrong!!!!!!! And my dad can beat up your dad!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:
I'll race your dad's Conquest with my Magic and I'll waste him by 3-4 mph.:D

acatitude
12-29-2006, 04:11 PM
hey dumb and young , well that name seems fitting, lol...... if you want a fast awesome boat buy my howard and if it dont do 105+ any day ill take 10k off the price........ man up buddy or are you just a tire kicker:D

djunkie
12-29-2006, 04:13 PM
I'll race your dad's Conquest with my Magic and I'll waste him by 3-4 mph.:D
Your on!!!!!!!!!! :argue: :argue: :D

RiverDave
12-29-2006, 04:19 PM
some guy told me he has a 28' conquest deck with a 540 melin with 575 hp and xr drive.. says it will do 85mph.
I have a buddy that has a 28 Eliminator Fun Deck that he's looking to sell right now. The boat is in mint condition with very low hours. It's got a 496 mag in it, so it doesn't set the world on fire as far as speed goes, but it already has all the expensive stuff necesary to upgrade down the road. Twin Ram Hydraulic steering etc.. Already has a big stereo in it, autometer guages etc. :) It's sitting on a trailer that has hydraulic arms to lift 2 PWC's above the boat as well (normally 16K upgrade) but the boat can be sold with or without the trailer. It's down at Eliminator right now, and honestly if your looking for a solid deckboat, this would be where I'd start. :)
I can get you pictures if your interested.
RD

dumbandyoung
12-29-2006, 04:26 PM
hey dumb and young , well that name seems fitting, lol...... if you want a fast awesome boat buy my howard and if it dont do 105+ any day ill take 10k off the price........ man up buddy or are you just a tire kicker:D
not a tire kicker..... dude im coming out of a 19' jet.. i dont know much about big cats..im trying to make sure i dont buy something and be unhappy with it. im going to check out reapers magic this weekend

OutCole'd
12-29-2006, 04:36 PM
not a tire kicker..... dude im coming out of a 19' jet.. i dont know much about big cats..im trying to make sure i dont buy something and be unhappy with it. im going to check out reapers magic this weekend
Reaper's boat is very nice and if you buy it, he's giving me a dank hooter as a commision.

djunkie
12-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I have a buddy that has a 28 Eliminator Fun Deck that he's looking to sell right now. The boat is in mint condition with very low hours. It's got a 496 mag in it, so it doesn't set the world on fire as far as speed goes, but it already has all the expensive stuff necesary to upgrade down the road. Twin Ram Hydraulic steering etc.. Already has a big stereo in it, autometer guages etc. :) It's sitting on a trailer that has hydraulic arms to lift 2 PWC's above the boat as well (normally 16K upgrade) but the boat can be sold with or without the trailer. It's down at Eliminator right now, and honestly if your looking for a solid deckboat, this would be where I'd start. :)
I can get you pictures if your interested.
RD
Now whats Gordon gonna get?

Deano
12-29-2006, 04:47 PM
I am pretty sure a magic deck will not do 70 with a HO. I think it hits around 73 with a blue engine.

RiverDave
12-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Now whats Gordon gonna get?
A house in Dana Point as soon as he off loads his fleet of boats.. LOL
RD

djunkie
12-29-2006, 04:49 PM
A house in Dana Point as soon as he off loads his fleet of boats.. LOL
RD
Really? Big baller boy huh? I'll have to give him shit about it next weekend. :D :D

Deano
12-29-2006, 04:56 PM
I just read this...damn, is that gps? I guess the guys with the other blue motors are slower....just what I heard though, I haven't been in one wide open

OutCole'd
12-29-2006, 05:45 PM
I just read this...damn, is that gps? I guess the guys with the other blue motors are slower....just what I heard though, I haven't been in one wide open
Ya, GPS. But like I said, great conditions. That's 1/8 tank, no gear, March, little chop, and me eating nothing but Salads for two weeks prior.

Reaper1
12-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Reaper's boat is very nice and if you buy it, he's giving me a dank hooter as a commision.
Rolled and waiting! :D

acatitude
12-29-2006, 06:34 PM
well you wont find anything better then reapers magic for that price..... so I will expect reaper to report it sold or your back to a tire kicker.. and my cat is smaller then that big baller magic of his:D ... any reason for reaper to get out of coming north to boat with us....... geeeezz

Reaper1
12-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks Ken, I'll just have to come up and ride in that Hot Rod grocery getter you got there.;)

acatitude
12-30-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks Ken, I'll just have to come up and ride in that Hot Rod grocery getter you got there.;)
Any time bud, just throw the groceries in the trunk:)

KLEPTOW
12-30-2006, 01:23 AM
I haven't seen any questions on insurance from you.....If you are serious about a Cat then ins should be part of your research.
Even one of our resident post whores comes on here and complains regularly about getting bent over for ins, he hasn't figured out yet that his lack of seat time in a cat and his claims of 100mph speeds that cost him 2k a year in premiums.
My quote's went down by half after showing proof of 10+ years in cat's with out any claims.

MudPumper
12-30-2006, 03:09 AM
You should have asked him why he wasted his time building a 540 Merlin with only 575HP.

djunkie
12-30-2006, 03:44 AM
You should have asked him why he wasted his time building a 540 Merlin with only 575HP.
Well seeing as its in a boat with an outdrive maybe they set it up with big torque numbers. Small cam, lower rpm's to save the outdrive, reliable torquie motor in a boat like that works good.

OKIE-JET
12-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Rolled and waiting! :D
room for a 3rd?:cool:

Keith E. Sayre
12-30-2006, 10:28 AM
This is one of the more tame threads regarding deckboats!
If you buy Reapers boat, tell him that I turned you onto it!
I've sold that boat twice already and I'm feeling lucky!
In all honesty though, that is a boat that's been taken care of. original owner never used it and Reaper spends more time cleaning it than he does using it!
For the speed numbers?????? Who's to say who's is faster?
I do know when I was there, the first HP500 deck went 74.6 for Powerboat magazine I've heard several people say that their Magic goes 80 mph with the 525 and I know some of them and believe them. Our last 525 test was for
78.6 in less than ideal conditions. When comparing the
2 boats, they started out with identical bottoms. Last year, Scott Kornowski added a 2nd step and staggered
the strakes in a new mold. Powerboat and Hot Boat have
both commented that the boat turned harder (didn't think
that was possible?) and carried the bow higher--I agree.
Their boat is probably a few lbs lighter. We put in a
subfloor and that's the primary difference between ours and theirs when it comes to the scales.
Ive seen 82 and 83 with a 575 Merc with 550 propshaft
hp and I've seen as much as 86 with the 600 Merc.
Who's is faster? I say the better driver wins both races in
either boat. Too close to call but some of you should go do it and let us know the results.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Bre
12-30-2006, 11:57 AM
We had a 25 Daytona with the exact motor. Fastest we went was 88-90 I believe. So I would say it is close. 80-82 sounds more realistic. But what do i know.

dumbandyoung
12-30-2006, 04:53 PM
well you wont find anything better then reapers magic for that price..... so I will expect reaper to report it sold or your back to a tire kicker.. and my cat is smaller then that big baller magic of his:D ... any reason for reaper to get out of coming north to boat with us....... geeeezz
No tire kicker here!:)
i found my boat!! 2000 25ft daytona. 800hp teague motor. imco drive. huge stereo. closed bow. tripple axle trailer. all new upholstery. clean!.. the guy is gonna give it to me for 54k...ill post pics soon. you've got a nice boat though.. good luck!! It should sell soon.. people will see what a new one costs at the boat show.. and buy yours!.. same with reapers magic.. im sure of it! :hammer2:

dumbandyoung
12-30-2006, 05:06 PM
I haven't seen any questions on insurance from you.....If you are serious about a Cat then ins should be part of your research.
Even one of our resident post whores comes on here and complains regularly about getting bent over for ins, he hasn't figured out yet that his lack of seat time in a cat and his claims of 100mph speeds that cost him 2k a year in premiums.
My quote's went down by half after showing proof of 10+ years in cat's with out any claims.
I have a friend who does insurance.. so im already taken care of with that.
..And for all of you, heres my thing. Ive grown up around small jet boats my whole life and I own one myself. I don't know very much about big cats. Although I want one so bad because im limited to just boating on the river because i cant take the rough water. So luckily i went on ***boat.com to order my subscription and saw there where forums on here. I decided why not join and ask a bunch of boaters.. who just wanna talk about boats questions...rather than go to or call every mfg and ask questions that they eventually will be trying to get me to buy their boat anyways. Ive ridden in a few big boats but not many. buying a boat isn't like buying a car.. and its not like you can go test drive one so easily.. and who has the time for that.
Thanks guys to all your help directing me in my search for a new boat. I enjoy the forums alot,,, hell i even got rid of a jet ski trailer i didnt want anymore on here, thanks to spam. i hope to see you all out on the water this summer!
happy new year!

Nord
12-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Is it red and he uses it on parker??? If so......I would say yes!

dumbandyoung
01-02-2007, 08:22 AM
nope white

dumbandyoung
01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
have you ridden in it with that motor