PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear question...............

Nord
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I want to plan a snowboarding/ski trip with my girlfriend and I and maybe a couple of friends. I don't want to get bent over and after going to bigbearresorts.com, I am afraid everything is going to cost 300+ a night.
Any suggestions???
Does anyone have a cabin in big bear??
Thanks.....
~NORD~

Parker Dreamin
12-30-2006, 01:47 PM
My sister rents their condo out through an agency up there, I will get the details if you are interested.

THATJEFFGUY
12-30-2006, 05:24 PM
We always stay at the Northwoods Resort in Big Bear

HOOTER SLED-
12-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Dude, make the drive and go to Mammoth. Local shit sucks. Never been back since I've gone to Mammoth.

Nord
12-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Dude, make the drive and go to Mammoth. Local shit sucks. Never been back since I've gone to Mammoth.
When its snowing.......Local is great. When it isn't, I agree.

Nord
12-30-2006, 06:34 PM
We always stay at the Northwoods Resort in Big Bear
How far is this from bear mountain and summit??

Havasu1986
12-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Same here...I have a ski pass at Mammoth..It's like comparing our local lakes to Havi,Mojave or Mead. Make the drive.

Misogynist
12-30-2006, 06:55 PM
I've never done Mammoth... Most of my skiing has been done in Utah and Colorado.... :)

BajaMike
12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree, Big Bear pretty much sucks, especially on a weekend (or worse yet, on a HOLIDAY weekend)! Traffic sucks all the way up and all the way down, lift lines suck, the snow usually sucks and punky lame high school kid snow boarders are a pain in the ass.
Make the drive to Mammoth (or better yet, take the 1 hour flight to Salt Lake City!).
Have fun....:D

Havasu1986
12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I've never done Mammoth... Most of my skiing has been done in Utah and Colorado.... :)
It's a greet place to take your girlfreind or wife....Sorry Misogynist..Never mind.. Great skiing though.

BajaMike
12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Same here...I have a ski pass at Mammoth..It's like comparing our local lakes to Havi,Mojave or Mead. Make the drive.
Yea, like comparing Elsinore to Mohave!:idea:
:sqeyes:

Havasu1986
12-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Yea, like comparing Elsinore to Mohave!:idea:
:sqeyes:
Well I didn't want to piss any of the Elsinore people off..but a good comparison.

Nord
12-30-2006, 07:56 PM
whats the difference in drive time from Corona??
I don't get much time away from work. Thats why I picked Big Bear.

Havasu1986
12-30-2006, 08:11 PM
whats the difference in drive time from Corona??
I don't get much time away from work. Thats why I picked Big Bear.
From Yorba Linda it takes me about 4 1/2 to 5 hours with no traffic. I think its about 320 miles.

skygod73
12-30-2006, 08:17 PM
I have friends with a house for rent about 5-7 miles from the lifts. They are very resonable. Email me and I will pass along the info if you like.
skygod73@aol.com

Misogynist
12-30-2006, 08:59 PM
take the 1 hour flight to Salt Lake City!).
Have fun....:D
Does anyone remember when "Morris Air" flew out of LAX?... You could get a round trip ticket for 72.00.To SLC . Unbelievable. I flew out of LAX early one moring to go skiing, and there was a guy there in his ski gear, with his boots and skis checking in. He told me that if he left at 7:00 am. He could be on the slopes by no later than 10:00 ( you lose one hour ), and could ski until 4:00, be at the airport at 5:30 and home for dinner at 7:00.( you get the hour coming back) . He said he could get in more skiing than if he jumped in his car and drove to Big Bear. :eek:

Havasu1986
12-30-2006, 09:14 PM
$72....What year was this...How old are you.

Ziggy
12-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Nord..........we book rooms/hotels etc thru VRBO.com quite often, good deals usually too............My wife was just up there with a girlscout troup and booked thru that site.
She's also put up requests for rooms/houses on craigslist.

Dan Lorenze
12-31-2006, 03:29 AM
I've been in Big Bear for almost a week now, the place is a freakin zoo. Snow Summit was sold out today. Traffic was horrible getting up here too but that's what happens on Holiday weekends... Mammoth sounds pretty good right about now.

Parker Dreamin
01-02-2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.cal-pine.com/
They are cabin #17. Let me know if interested.

AirtimeLavey
01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
You're only adding a couple/few more hours to your drive time, for a way better experience in Mammoth. The drive goes quick. Stop in Bishop and get some bread from Schat's bakery. I'll only ski/board local if it's a one day deal, otherwise, it's Mammoth or Tahoe. :cool:

Legal Chemistry
01-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Big Bear is perfect for the quick getaways, just not Holiday time! Don't confuse comparing Big Bear to Mammoth -they aren't the same animal. :rolleyes:
PM me if you want some info on renting a cabin. My wife has a nice little 3/2 cabin in lower Moonridge (near Bear Mtn.) You can see Bear and Summit from the deck.

BajaMike
01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
I heard on the news yesterday "the highway out of Big Bear was a parking lot", they estimated 5 to 7 hours to drive down the mountain (it's like that almost every weekend).
Makes the 5 hour drive to Mammoth sound pretty good.:idea:
:D

BajaMike
01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Does anyone remember when "Morris Air" flew out of LAX?... You could get a round trip ticket for 72.00.To SLC . Unbelievable. I flew out of LAX early one moring to go skiing, and there was a guy there in his ski gear, with his boots and skis checking in. He told me that if he left at 7:00 am. He could be on the slopes by no later than 10:00 ( you lose one hour ), and could ski until 4:00, be at the airport at 5:30 and home for dinner at 7:00.( you get the hour coming back) . He said he could get in more skiing than if he jumped in his car and drove to Big Bear. :eek:
I've flown there several times out of John Wayne or Ontario, took off on Delta around 7:00 am and been on the slopes in Park City by 10 or 11 am.
I love Park City!!!
:idea:

AZJD
01-02-2007, 12:02 PM
What is this snow you guys speak of? Haven't seen much round here in Az! Good thing it will be 85 again in 2 1/2 months! Guess I will just hit Mammoth!

squirt'nmyload
01-02-2007, 12:18 PM
i'm goin to big bear jan.12-14th........if it's as crowded as everyone says, do you guys think i should try to rent my gear before i get up there?? if so is there anywhere near newport beach thats rents snowboards 'n shit??? i don't want to buy stuff because i'll probably not go again anytime soon.

Legal Chemistry
01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
You can get all your stuff up there: skis, boards, whatever... saves from having to move everything to and from NB. I believe the 12th-13th is still "holiday" time, I would recommend ordering your lift tix ahead of time. These places do sell out -which is good and bad. Bad: more people, Good: they limit the amount of folks on the mountain. Also, if you plan on staying there most of the day on Sunday... be ready for some slow travel down the mountain. I usually get out of there before noon or just stay till Monday. Enjoy!

squirt'nmyload
01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
You can get all your stuff up there: skis, boards, whatever... saves from having to move everything to and from NB. I believe the 12th-13th is still "holiday" time, I would recommend ordering your lift tix ahead of time. These places do sell out -which is good and bad. Bad: more people, Good: they limit the amount of folks on the mountain. Also, if you plan on staying there most of the day on Sunday... be ready for some slow travel down the mountain. I usually get out of there before noon or just stay till Monday. Enjoy!
thanx for the info......and yes, we are waiting till monday to come back!!!

Mandelon
01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
If you are renting do it the day before at ski chalet or somewhere, Better selection, and you wont be all pissed that it took 1 and half hours of your ski time wasted while in line.
I would suggest to Big Bear peeps to check out Mountain High. Not quite as much snow, but the east resort is cool when its open.
Mountain High has a points ticket system that lets you buy points that roll over, like anytime minutes on your phone I guess. Perfect if its crowded or if you have kids who can't run hard all day. 200 points is the same price as a standard ticket. We have never used the 200 in a day, and since they roll over, we can go for free several times a year with the leftover points.