PDA

View Full Version : Safes, any suggestions?

OutCole'd
12-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Looking for a residential safe for both fire & burglary protection. Keypad preffered, any tips?

JB in so cal
12-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Looking for a residential safe for both fire & burglary protection. Keypad preffered, any tips?
Just jam anything valuable..............up..............your....fire place chute:D

BIGAMIST
12-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Fort Knox, Sentrey, Browning, American Security Products.

YeLLowBoaT
12-30-2006, 06:54 PM
What ever you get make sure you drill and attach it to the floor well... other wise its only as good as the dolley that you have in the garage... Seem/heard of many cases where some one just wheeled out the 600lb gun safe on the home owners dolley.

Flyinbowtie
12-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I have an older Liberty model (2000?) that I am quite happy with. It is branded as a Smith and Wesson.
The one thing I can add is buy one at least 50% larger than you think you need/want. It is amazing how handy they become, and how much stuff you wind up putting in it.
Naturally, this doesn't apply if yo are sure you already have all the guns you're going to buy, etc.:D
I second the notion of bolting it to the structure in some fashion.
Mine weighs over 900lbs, empty, and it took the two guys that delivered it about 15 minutes to get it in the house, and they were being careful.
'Course, it ain't empty no more..:D Probably close to 1500 lbs at this point.
Which brings up something else to consider, the nature of the construction upon which the safe will stand, and where you want to put it.

Havasu1986
12-30-2006, 07:29 PM
We have a small Rhino safe with key pad..About 12"x16"x10". Has the hole to bolt to ground.

YeLLowBoaT
12-30-2006, 07:40 PM
if your on slab you will be fine with just about any safe you can buy, unless your going to put it on hard wood floor. If your on a raised... your going inthe crawl space to see whats there... you may even have to pore some new peirs and put in a beam.

Sleek-Jet
12-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Cannon safes have about the best warranty.
If you can't ever get the door open or what not, and it has to be shipped back to the factory, Cannon will pay shipping both ways and replace all the defective parts. That's lifetime as well.

Caribbean Jet
12-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Next question,
Does anyone have any hook ups?

Riverkid
12-31-2006, 08:37 AM
There is a place in Corona, on the other side of Pomona Road behind the Commander lot. They have great deals, plus they get a ton of used safes as people upgrade. I bought mine there, best deal I could find.
I bought a Cannon.
http://verizonsupersite.com/cannonsafecom/nss-folder/pictures/1T_43_lg.jpg

Redneck
12-31-2006, 08:46 AM
sams club had a nice safe for around 600 it was pretty big. Make sure it also has the bolts that go in the door on the sides top and bottom. That way door hinges cant be cut and the door cant be removed.

copterzach
12-31-2006, 09:23 AM
I am with flyinbowtie. Buy the bigggest one that you can afford. Or you will end up being a 2 gun safe owner like me.

Redneck
12-31-2006, 09:45 AM
I am with flyinbowtie. Buy the bigggest one that you can afford. Or you will end up being a 2 gun safe owner like me.
I have the same problem looking at a second safe already lol

HMF'er
12-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Liberty and Cannon make beautiful safes. I bought the Cannon because of the warranty and because it was a bit cheaper. The Cannons are made locally in San Bernardino, I think. Mine developed a bit of a squeak in the locking mechanism, called them up and they sent someone out to fix it no charge. I'm happy with it.

YeLLowBoaT
12-31-2006, 05:48 PM
I have the same problem looking at a second safe already lol
lol I'm on my 3rd....:D

CBadDad
12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't put too much trust in a "fire proof" safe. I haven't seen one opened up after a fire that did its job. Nothing but ashes inside.

Mandelon
12-31-2006, 06:13 PM
In the wall, it can be removed with a sawzall and a crowbar, in the slab its a pain to bend down when you're all dressed up, but its a lot more secure.
I think the dial style is more secure than the keypad, don't they use batteries??