PDA

View Full Version : Havasu 11th most dangerous

phebus
12-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't think it's too bad being rated the 11th most dangerous lake in the U.S. considering the crowds Havasu draws.
News
Lake Havasu rated nation's 11th most dangerous waterway
BY TONY RAAP
Saturday, December 30, 2006 10:15 PM MST
Lake Havasu is the nation's 11th most dangerous waterway, according to figures released Friday through the state Department of Game & Fish.
The list, which was compiled by the U.S. Coast Guard, is based on a waterway's number of accidents. Fatalities do not factor in, said Kevin Bergersen, Arizona Game & Fish boating law administrator.
Lake Havasu had 36 accidents in 2006, according to the officials' tally.
Lake Mead, which was ranked No. 1, had 98. Bergersen said Lake Havasu had two fatalities excluding shoreline drownings and drownings that occurred on the lake's California side.
According to the Coast Guard list, six of the nation's 15 most dangerous waterways are in Arizona. Moreover, most of the state's boating accidents occurred in Mohave County. The Colorado River, which was ranked No. 2, had 83 accidents; Lake Mohave, No. 3, had 65; and Lake Powell, No. 4, had 59.
It wasn't clear from the listings the severity of the accident needed to make the list or the exact boundary lines used in determining whether accidents occurred in one of the lakes or on the river, which flows through all the reservoirs.
In 2006, the state had 255 boating accidents, 153 injuries and 14 deaths, Bergersen said.
“That represents Arizona's worst boating fatality record since 1998,” he said.
The two leading causes of boating accidents were inattention and inexperience.
“We want to help turn things around by encouraging people to take boating safety classes because educated boaters are statistically less likely to become involved in boat accidents,” he said.
The Tri-State Boating Safety Fair is scheduled for May 5 at Windsor Beach. Game & Fish also offers free boating safety instruction classes throughout the year.
To learn more, call 602-789-3235 or log on to www.azgfd.gov
You may contact the reporter at raap@havasunews.com
What is RSS?
Copyright © 2006 River City Newspapers, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

riverroyal
12-31-2006, 05:51 PM
#1?

HocusPocus
12-31-2006, 05:52 PM
#1?
Lake Mead

riverroyal
12-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Lake Mead
wonder why?Is it crazy?we never go there

HocusPocus
12-31-2006, 06:06 PM
wonder why?Is it crazy?we never go there
i have only been there a few times, once when the weather got nasty, it wasn't a fun place to be then.

DILLIGAF
12-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Well, thats pretty impressive as far as Havasu goes. I would expect more accidents and so forth. I wonder exactly what accidents are included? Fatalities are not included in that total. Seems like there is a lot of gray area in this study.
Mohave....YIKES!

Brian
12-31-2006, 06:33 PM
So AZ has 6, and the river, Havasu, Mohave, Mead, and Powell make up 5 of them... Must be all you reckless Californians!
:D

Boatcop
12-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, thats pretty impressive as far as Havasu goes. I would expect more accidents and so forth. I wonder exactly what accidents are included? Fatalities are not included in that total. Seems like there is a lot of gray area in this study.
Mohave....YIKES!
A Boating accident is any boating mishap that causes over $2,000 in property damage, an injury that requires care beyond basic first-aid, or a fatality.
Drownings from a boat not underway doesn't count, but carbon monoxide poisoning from boat exhaust does.

Moneypitt
12-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Alan, are PWC accidents considered "boating" accidents? and if they are, how many of the ones counted involved jetskis only, no actual boat involved?..MP

Boatcop
12-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Alan, are PWC accidents considered "boating" accidents? and if they are, how many of the ones counted involved jetskis only, no actual boat involved?..MP
The numbers cited are ALL watercraft accidents. boats, PWCs (jet skis), even canoes and white water kayaks.
The 2006 numbers haven't been sorted out yet, as to type of watercraft involved. Only raw data, at this point.
But in 2005 PWCs were involved in 141 accidents while all other boats accounted for 249. Out of those, PWCs were involved in 63 inury accidents and 1 fatality while regular boats had 97 injuries and 5 fatalities.
I figure the percentage for this year will be pretty much in line with last year.

DILLIGAF
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
A Boating accident is any boating mishap that causes over $2,000 in property damage, an injury that requires care beyond basic first-aid, or a fatality.
Drownings from a boat not underway doesn't count, but carbon monoxide poisoning from boat exhaust does.
Thank you Alan. Souldn't you be a little...ahhhhhh, hmmmmm, busy right now.....lol

Boatcop
12-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Thank you Alan. Souldn't you be a little...ahhhhhh, hmmmmm, busy right now.....lol
All in due time, my friend. All in due time.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I've witnessed many mishaps over the years most of which were never reported...

DILLIGAF
12-31-2006, 08:00 PM
All in due time, my friend. All in due time.
LOL...Are we talking 11:59 and 12:01 here :)

Boatcop
12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
I've witnessed many mishaps over the years most of which were never reported...
We figure if we get 25% of the damage only accidents reported, we're doing good. 10% of PWCs if we're lucky. We think the injuries and fatalities are right on the money, since we respond to nearly all of them, and the hospitals call us when they get a walk-in from a boat accident.
I get a lot of calls from people involved in damage only accidents a week or 2 after the fact, when they need a report for their insurance. We send them the forms and tell them to file it directly with Game and Fish. I'm not going to put my cred on the line by investigating an accident over the phone.

Boatcop
12-31-2006, 08:08 PM
LOL...Are we talking 11:59 and 12:01 here :)
More like 11:59 TO 12:01. :eek:

DILLIGAF
12-31-2006, 08:09 PM
More like 11:59 TO 12:01. :eek:
Have fun.....
:)

Outnumbered
12-31-2006, 10:48 PM
The report is misleading because it should be based on the accident per boat-user ratio. Mead is huge and has more boats on any given day and naturally will have more accidents. I bet if you ran the numbers that way your chances of getting in an accident would be greater at Havasu. The boating is more concentrated on Havasu than on Mead. Just my observation.

vmjtc3
12-31-2006, 11:05 PM
The report is misleading because it should be based on the accident per boat-user ratio. Mead is huge and has more boats on any given day and naturally will have more accidents. I bet if you ran the numbers that way your chances of getting in an accident would be greater at Havasu. The boating is more concentrated on Havasu than on Mead. Just my observation.
I would be interested to see the numbers as well. I boat only on Mead and Havi and it seems like havasu always has way more boats than Mead. But Mead may be missleading due to it's size........................

Boatcop
01-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Havasu (602,631) has the most boat use days. Mohave (209,292) is is 2nd. Parker Strip (197,723) is third. Followed by Powell (187,296), Pleasant (141,0160) and Mead, (129,419) in that order.
Boat use is not a reliable factor in accident dynamics. We've (La Paz County/Parker Strip) been the 3rd most used waterway in the State for some time now, but our accidents have been consistantly at the low end of the scale. In 2005 we had only 16 accidents reported in the entire County, with only 11 on the Strip. This year (2006) our numbers are lower.

shueman
01-01-2007, 07:57 AM
One fatality is one to many.....:(

vmjtc3
01-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I always feel safer on mead than on havi. I guess it is just the amount of boats on havi compared to mead. Now if we could get rid of the drunk/high/ wana start a fight for saying hi when you pull in gang banger types, Havi would be even better :D