PDA

View Full Version : Hey, A Catered Life...

Wet Dream
01-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Perhaps you, or anyone reading this might have an answer for me. The other day I bought some sliced smoked salmon, in the vacu-sealed package, and it was not frozen. I got home and put it in the freezer. Then I noticed a day later that it says in small print on the back "DO NOT REFREEZE". Hells bells. Ok, so what is the damage? Is the salmon going to have a different texture, or am I going to be squirting my insides out if I eat it?:confused:

Jim W
01-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Damn,
I just did the same thing....Wegmans had a 2 for one sale on Smoked Salmon trim at about $6.50 per lb. I love smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese!!!!
I froze the second pack and just now looked at it.
Only said to keep it below 35 degrees......nothing about freezing. In the package, it looks fine. I can't see where it would be a problem. I freeze up a lot of Perch and Bass and it is fine.
The only problem I have had is, with the oily Salmon.....
after 3-4 days of my bagel Salmon breakfast's, my a/hole feels like it got converted over from conventional motor oil to fully synthetic!!!!
Be good, Jim

Wet Dream
01-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Damn,
I just did the same thing....Wegmans had a 2 for one sale on Smoked Salmon trim at about $6.50 per lb. I love smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese!!!!
I froze the second pack and just now looked at it.
Only said to keep it below 35 degrees......nothing about freezing. In the package, it looks fine. I can't see where it would be a problem. I freeze up a lot of Perch and Bass and it is fine.
The only problem I have had is, with the oily Salmon.....
after 3-4 days of my bagel Salmon breakfast's, my a/hole feels like it got converted over from conventional motor oil to fully synthetic!!!!
Be good, Jim
Jim, ya got me laughing. I got hooked on the Au Bon Pain bagel, with herb cream cheese, smoked slamon, cucumber, and wasabi sauce. I got one at the Pittsburgh airport to Vegas, loved it. I couldn't wait to get another one on the trip back. Well, it was 9 at night when we got in and still had them make one. The bagel was a little tough and the salmon and cheese was sitting out all day. The next day wasn't too good. I blamed it on the bagel. But thats why I bought the salmon, to do it on my own.

Jim W
01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Substitute (sp?) onion for the cucumber.
The extra fiber might help....
Going to turn 51 at the end of Jan.
Cant believe I still get caught doing the penguin walk after all these years!!!
Be good, Jim

a catered life
01-01-2007, 10:56 PM
the only effects you might see is the ends may be a little dry....it is a oily fish and freezing it makes the tips dry a little but if you using it for bagels you shouldnt notice much...also the company may not want you to freeze it because their packaging may not be good for freezing and dont want you to mess up their product and blame them for bad taste...watch the expiration date on the package