PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tacoma$..an education.

Flyinbowtie
01-01-2007, 01:57 PM
We got an education this week in the value of used Toyota Tacoma 4x4 trucks. I was sorta amazed at how these things hold their value, even with 150k on the clock, or more.
My 19 yr old son needed to step up to a newer ride, after falling victim to an inch of ice on the road Christmas Eve "Eve" in his 89 4Runner last weekend.
It was totaled, but everybody was okay.
So, we started looking around up here in the foothills, watching craigslist, the ads, and even hit the local dealers.
I had an ace-in-the hole, a friend who is a wholesaler, and was certain he could grab us a clean one at auction in the next week or two if we couldn't find one. He warned us that even at auction the clean 97-up Tacoma 4x4 extened cabs w/either the 2.7 4 or the 3.4 V-6 are going at3k over wholesale. He also told us that dealers from Stockton north are hitting up private party ads all over NorCal, buying them, taking them to the lot, detailing 'em and adding 5 or 6 k to the price. What we saw at the dealers confirmed that. They're not ashamed of asking 12k + for a 4-7 year old truck, pretty banged up, with 185,000 on them. According to Edmunds, Kelly BB, etc, they were asking high book plus for trucks that didn't even come close to being a hgh book unit.
We did find one, yesterday morning on craiglist Sacramento. It hit the net yesterday morning, and by 7 am he had had calls from 7 people from as far away as Santa Cruz.
Two admitted to being buyers for dealers. One was enroute from Redding, and one from Stockton.
We were first there with the $, so we "won". The owner is smogging it and we'll grab it Tuesday. We are happy with the truck, a one-owner 97 with the 3.4 V-6, 5-speed, manual locking hubs, extended cab, and only 88k on the clock. The owner hass maint. records from day one, and it has always been garaged. We feel like we stole it.:D
His brother has a mechanically identical model with 279,000 on it, these things apparently run forever.
You guys in California that have one of these that might be thinking about selling it need to check the market before you put a price on, you might be surprised at what you can get.

beerjet
01-01-2007, 03:02 PM
My 01 4dr 4wd is unstopable and believe me , I've tried to stop it . :D

Red Horse
01-01-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a toyota Hi Lux Surf (4 runner here in Japan) It is a 91 with a V-6, 4 wheel drive, loaded. Bought it two years ago wiht about 45K miles on it (81K kilometers) I paid $3200. I have seen several newer for slightly more. Everything works on this truck. I am amazed at the quality for such an old truck.

Eliminator 4 Life
01-01-2007, 05:18 PM
We got an education this week in the value of used Toyota Tacoma 4x4 trucks. I was sorta amazed at how these things hold their value, even with 150k on the clock, or more.
My 19 yr old son needed to step up to a newer ride, after falling victim to an inch of ice on the road Christmas Eve "Eve" in his 89 4Runner last weekend.
It was totaled, but everybody was okay.
So, we started looking around up here in the foothills, watching craigslist, the ads, and even hit the local dealers.
I had an ace-in-the hole, a friend who is a wholesaler, and was certain he could grab us a clean one at auction in the next week or two if we couldn't find one. He warned us that even at auction the clean 97-up Tacoma 4x4 extened cabs w/either the 2.7 4 or the 3.4 V-6 are going at3k over wholesale. He also told us that dealers from Stockton north are hitting up private party ads all over NorCal, buying them, taking them to the lot, detailing 'em and adding 5 or 6 k to the price. What we saw at the dealers confirmed that. They're not ashamed of asking 12k + for a 4-7 year old truck, pretty banged up, with 185,000 on them. According to Edmunds, Kelly BB, etc, they were asking high book plus for trucks that didn't even come close to being a hgh book unit.
We did find one, yesterday morning on craiglist Sacramento. It hit the net yesterday morning, and by 7 am he had had calls from 7 people from as far away as Santa Cruz.
Two admitted to being buyers for dealers. One was enroute from Redding, and one from Stockton.
We were first there with the $, so we "won". The owner is smogging it and we'll grab it Tuesday. We are happy with the truck, a one-owner 97 with the 3.4 V-6, 5-speed, manual locking hubs, extended cab, and only 88k on the clock. The owner hass maint. records from day one, and it has always been garaged. We feel like we stole it.:D
His brother has a mechanically identical model with 279,000 on it, these things apparently run forever.
You guys in California that have one of these that might be thinking about selling it need to check the market before you put a price on, you might be surprised at what you can get.
Where do you live Sonora, Jamestown, Groveland????

Flyinbowtie
01-01-2007, 05:53 PM
E4L;
Nevada County, west of Grass Valley..

Eliminator 4 Life
01-03-2007, 06:16 AM
E4L;
Nevada County, west of Grass Valley..
Gotcha I was gonna see if you were closer to where I live.

Powerquestboy
01-03-2007, 06:42 AM
I've got an 05 Tacoma 4x4, 4 door, SR5 etc....It is an incredible truck. I wish it had a little more power but other than that I have zero complaints. I was originally looking at an Audi A4 and couldnt find what I wanted so I looked at Tacomas thinking they were going to save me money. Not at all the case. The Tacomas are just about the same money and they never have any deals on them. The dealer says they are so popular and such a good truck they never even offer financing deals on them. They had one with 6K on it lifted 3 inch's they wanted 38K for it. I told the guy I didnt even pay that for my LOADED Suburban. I ended up finding one used and stole it from a dealer. I take it off road every once and a while and I have never been been in a quieter automobile offroad. Thhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/331Truckatires_002.jpgey are put together very well