PDA

View Full Version : White vs. African American Athletes

axkiker
01-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Ok first off im not a raceist nore is this thread meant to turn that way. I want to try to keep everything as politically correct as possible. (like thats possible here).
So on the the question. What are you opinions on the majority of college and professional athletes in basketball and football being african american. It seems like its a good 75% at least. They always seem to be bigger, stronger and faster. Do you think its genetics, work ethic or luck.
I really started thinking about this after watching a good 3 days of football and basketball then following it up with the worlds strongest man competition. It was weird because most of the guys in that competitions were white.
Now as I said im not starting a a raceist thread where im trying to degrade anyone. Im just currious what your thoughts are on the subject. Hey if I could have hauled my fat a$$ down a field as fast as thoes guys I would not be here. so more power to them.

BRSTQUEST
01-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Wow this could get real ugly...Iam going to take a stab(not an OJ Simpson reference) at this...Remember you mentioned only sports which are televised and there are sports that are not on tv which they are not the majority...
I think it is both gentetic and social. Genetic I can not prove since I have not done studies and the such, but it just seems like the the major sports are a majority black. I can only make my opion from what I see. I bet if someone was able to do a census of ALL professional athlets and the sports competed in the olympics the ratio would be closer than you might expect.
The social aspect could be that for the black community sports is a more accesable way out of poverty, thus giving them more motivation and dedication needed to rise to the level needed to become professional athlets... Like I said I would give it a stab...

Keith E. Sayre
01-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Remember, Jimmy the Greek, he got fired for voicing his opinion on this subject. I will say this, the people that we
watch on TV have earned their spot with hard work, some are obviously quicker and faster than others but I remember as a kid that Wilt Chamberlain had to shoot
granny style and could barely dribble, now we have 7 footers shooting 3 pointers all the time. When I was a kid
the lineman in football couldn't spell their own names and
weighed 275 lbs and couldn't finish the 40. Now we have
lineman that can outrun the quarterback and catch him from behind and they weigh 325! The athletes we watch
today are incredible.
Keith Sayre

eliminatedsprinter
01-02-2007, 09:47 AM
There has been tons of research done on this subject and all of it has been somewhat inconclusive. Most research has found that social factors play the largest role in these trends, but none have been able to rule out that there may be a lesser "racial" component as well.

axkiker
01-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah all good points. Im hoping that this thread will not head south because its not my intentions at all. Im just currious.
Who cares if the guy is black white purple or whatever. If he can take my favorite Team the the championship I dont care.
I do see what your saying about all sports in general. Since I started this thread out speaking on football and basketball I guess ill stick to thoes sports. However if you add in other sports such as sking bowling biking or whatever it raises another whole set of questions. Ill keep that for another thread.
anyways I see how alot of the african american population could see sports as a way out. when I mean a way out im talking a way of getting into a good school or a pro career making serious $$. Since alot of this population is in the poverty category and in neighborhoods that are pretty dangerous. I could easily see them taking it way more seriously and becoming more succesful.
However have you ever compaired a white guy and a black guy in college basketball that are of fairly equal height and play the same position. ever notice that 9 times out of 10 the black guy is much larger and appears to be built better. Now with this being said that leads me to beleive its more genetic. Because once playing on a college team all team members are required to work out etc and I would expect that most of the time they work out at the same level / intensity etc. So why the extra size, build or jumping ability etc.
So anyways this was my deep thought for the day. Probably will never be answered nore does it really matter. Im just bored and it posed a god question.

Baja Big Dog
01-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Remember, Jimmy the Greek, he got fired for voicing his opinion on this subject. I will say this, the people that we
watch on TV have earned their spot with hard work, some are obviously quicker and faster than others but I remember as a kid that Wilt Chamberlain had to shoot
granny style and could barely dribble, now we have 7 footers shooting 3 pointers all the time. When I was a kid
lineman that can outrun the quarterback and catch him from behind and they weigh 325! The athletes we watch
today are incredible.
Keith Sayre
But in "our " day we were "natural", no juice involved.

phebus
01-02-2007, 10:09 AM
O.K., here is my opinion, and I feel I am as non racist as they come. I love everyone equal.
Here is my comparison:
Dogs are dogs, but there are different breeds. Some are inherently faster, some are better hunters, etc., and that is genetically bred into them.
I feel the same is true within the human race. Different races of humans inherently have certain genes that predispose them to be better in certain sporting endeavors than others.
Huge generalization, but I feel that it runs true, and all the power to those individuals (regardless of race), that take advantage of what God has given them.

eliminatedsprinter
01-02-2007, 10:15 AM
today are incredible.
Keith Sayre
I have to disagree with a bit of this.
Outside of his knowledge of horse racing, Jimmy the Greek was an imbicle. That is probably the main reason the racial comments were used as an excuse to fire him. His predictions and anylisis of sports like baseball and football were so far off he had been an embarassment for a while.
Wilt Chamberlin played under different rules for dribbling than todays players get away with and his finger roll and inside shot variety was better than todays centers. Plus, in college, Wilt was a national class triple jumper and quarter miler. In his prime he was/is arguably the fastest and most explosive human ever to be over 7 ft tall.
The fearsome foursome of Rosey Grier, Merlin Olson, Lamar Lundy, and Deacon Jones (the original minister of defense) were all over 275 and ran sub 4.6 in the 40 (without steroids) and they were brighter than most of the guys I see playing today by far.

axkiker
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Well I didnt get any of thoes genes. I defiantly jump like a white boy.
O.K., here is my opinion, and I feel I am as non racist as they come. I love everyone equal.
Here is my comparison:
Dogs are dogs, but there are different breeds. Some are inherently faster, some are better hunters, etc., and that is genetically bred into them.
I feel the same is true within the human race. Different races of humans inherently have certain genes that predispose them to be better in certain sporting endeavors than others.
Huge generalization, but I feel that it runs true, and all the power to those individuals (regardless of race), that take advantage of what God has given them.

spectras only
01-02-2007, 10:42 AM
This guy is white and just as great as the other guys with less fanfare ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Nash

dmontzsta
01-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I think it has little to do with genetics, humans are humans, underneath the color we function the same. ALOT has to do with where you come from. When you grow up with nothing, you strive for everything, you do everything it takes to get out of the situation.

Misogynist
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I think ability in some sports are more the effects of natural selection rather than race. How many people of eskimo heritage play basketball professionally? Why are there not more Asian race car drivers?... Natural selection. We have been driving cars for decades and the really bad drivers were killed off and didn't pass on their genes. Over in the orient there weren't enough high speed rickshaw accidents in the past to select out the bad drivers. ...... :devil:

MudPumper
01-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Look at sports like skiing, both snow & water, ice skating, speed skating, hockey, boat racing, surfing, ....look at the difference in winter versus summer olympics?? Someone in S.I. once wrote an article about this very subject, was non racial, and guess what they could not find a real reason why, then again who really cares,
The reason is simple, black people hate the cold and most can't swim. :idea:

MudPumper
01-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I think ability in some sports are more the effects of natural selection rather than race. How many people of eskimo heritage play basketball professionally? Why are there not more Asian race car drivers?... Natural selection. We have been driving cars for decades and the really bad drivers were killed off and didn't pass on their genes. Over in the orient there weren't enough high speed rickshaw accidents in the past to select out the bad drivers. ...... :devil:
Now that right there is funny!:D

Froggystyle
01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
As long as this is staying non-racist I will throw in my .02.
SEAL training (BUD/s) is arguably the most rigorous physical regimen on the planet, professional sports or not. As a brief example of this, we had a collegiate All American swimmer in our BUDs class, who held the collegiate world record for the 100 meter freestyle during college. This was a problem for him... you see, every time we hit the pool, after doing a full workout, running in the morning, who knows what the day before etc... he had to break the world record or the whole class got beaten for it. Here is the rub... the pool is 1 meter longer than 50 meters to keep people from using it for competition. So, he had to swim an extra 2 meters each time. He never failed to break the record.
There are top level athletes there, pro football players, collegiate all-Americans, etc... all agree that this is the toughest physical duty you can pull by double.
I had 272 people assigned to my class originally. 38 were black. 28 people graduated, none were black. No racisim at all either. If anything, in an effort to not look like an Aryan youth convention SEAL training actually gives a slight nod to those of more ethnic persuasions to attempt a more culturally diverse community. Nothing that really gave any advantage, but they were discouraged from quitting once they started to. Maybe a little more encouragement or a longer rest period, or a longer "medical checkup" warming up in the ambulance than most got, but it never worked. Once someone started thinking about a warm shower... that was pretty much the end of their time in Hell Week.
Most SEALs aren't racist, but from the outside you would think it would be. When I was in, there was literally two black SEALs.
My uncle gave me a truly backhanded comment when he attended my graduation. He basically said he can't imagine how I made it. My cousins and I (his kids) were essentially given every opportunity and without being too snotty about it... spoiled. We didn't exactly have to fight our way through the hood to get to school in Sonoma and Villa Park respectively, and if you were to imagine the type of person that you would think would make it through... i.e. guys that looked like Superman or little immigrant knife fighters for the most part didn't. What I graduated with was a bunch of priviledged white kids that were basically jocks and valedictorians. Maybe we all had something additional to prove over other walks of life, or maybe we all have something wrong with us, but SEALs are for the most part very intelligent, very athletic and absolutely won't quit.
All of the black guys quit. None of them dropped because of athletic prowess. The drive to make it wasn't there. And it is a falacy about they can't swim and don't like the cold... nobody likes the cold. I had less than a 2% body fat at the time and sunk like a rock, so you can't say that it is body mass either... They just lacked the drive to make it.
Just as an aside, the other group of people that nearly had a 100% quit ratio was devout religious folks. Once it got really, really hard, they found it easy to draw the conclusion that this wasn't God's will that they make it through, or that God has different plans for them. You only make it through that by relying on yourself, believing in yourself and knowing that you are responsible. People who feel that others are responsible for their actions will not make it.
I am not generalizing... just stating the facts. When we started class, there was a 30 person deep "prayer pool" gathering at the beginning and end of the day praying for the strength to make it through another day, or for small waves, or for whatever. None graduated.

axkiker
01-02-2007, 12:08 PM
very interesting.
As long as this is staying non-racist I will throw in my .02.
SEAL training (BUD/s) is arguably the most rigorous physical regimen on the planet, professional sports or not. As a brief example of this, we had a collegiate All American swimmer in our BUDs class, who held the collegiate world record for the 100 meter freestyle during college. This was a problem for him... you see, every time we hit the pool, after doing a full workout, running in the morning, who knows what the day before etc... he had to break the world record or the whole class got beaten for it. Here is the rub... the pool is 1 meter longer than 50 meters to keep people from using it for competition. So, he had to swim an extra 2 meters each time. He never failed to break the record.
There are top level athletes there, pro football players, collegiate all-Americans, etc... all agree that this is the toughest physical duty you can pull by double.
I had 272 people assigned to my class originally. 38 were black. 28 people graduated, none were black. No racisim at all either. If anything, in an effort to not look like an Aryan youth convention SEAL training actually gives a slight nod to those of more ethnic persuasions to attempt a more culturally diverse community. Nothing that really gave any advantage, but they were discouraged from quitting once they started to. Maybe a little more Most SEALs aren't racist, but from the outside you would think it would be. When I was in, there was literally two black SEALs.
My uncle gave me a truly backhanded comment when he attended my graduation. He basically said he can't imagine how I made it. My cousins and I (his kids) were essentially given every opportunity and without being too snotty about it... spoiled. We didn't exactly have to fight our way through the hood to get to school in Sonoma and Villa Park respectively, and if you were to imagine the type of person that you would think would make it through... i.e. guys that looked like Superman or little immigrant knife fighters for the most part didn't. What I graduated with was a bunch of priviledged white kids that were basically jocks and valedictorians. Maybe we all had something additional to prove over other walks of life, or maybe we all have something wrong with us, but SEALs are for the most part very intelligent, very athletic and absolutely won't quit.
All of the black guys quit. None of them dropped because of athletic prowess. The drive to make it wasn't there. And it is a falacy about they can't swim and don't like the cold... nobody likes the cold. I had less than a 2% body fat at the time and sunk like a rock, so you can't say that it is body mass either... They just lacked the drive to make it.
Just as an aside, the other group of people that nearly had a 100% quit ratio was devout religious folks. Once it got really, really hard, they found it easy to draw the conclusion that this wasn't God's will that they make it through, or that God has different plans for them. You only make it through that by relying on yourself, believing in yourself and knowing that you are responsible. People who feel that others are responsible for their actions will not make it.
I am not generalizing... just stating the facts. When we started class, there was a 30 person deep "prayer pool" gathering at the beginning and end of the day praying for the strength to make it through another day, or for small waves, or for whatever. None graduated.

a catered life
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
i'm going to say away from this one:idea: it could get sticky:(

SB
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
There was an article in some runner's magazine over 15 years ago that said most of the short distance running events would be won by people of W. African descent. They have lots of fast twitch muscle, thick thighs, slim calves, thick Achilles tendons. The middle and long distance events are won by people of E. African descent (kenyans), which has to do with max VO2 ability in the lungs.
There are other studies showing that black track and field athletes carry 10 lbs less body fat than whites.
I played hoops every day for over 20 years, noticing that blacks at about 6' tall could mostly dunk, whereas whites at about 6'3" could mostly dunk.
Culturally, you have black city kids hang out at the basketball court all day, every day, from the age of 5.
Whites kids 50 years ago used to spend all day at the ballfield, now they don't. So we have to get infielders from the Caribbean now, where they play all day from an early age.
Blacks from hot climates have longer limbs, get rid of heat better, burn energy faster.
Whites and eskimos are built like polar bears. Short limbs, thicker torsos, that conserve heat.
There are lots of sports that aren't really exciting to watch on tv. Blacks excel at the sports requiring explosive action, ball sports that play well on tv, and are well paid.
There are plenty of fantastic endurance athletes that don't get paid much.
The SEALs take endurance, as do the marathon, and the tour de france.
White Europeans are making a comeback in basketball, because they have tall guys that can shoot and play facing the basket.

Mandelon
01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I like Phebus's point of comparing us to dogs.
Every continent has their people don't they?
Going back hundred or even thousands of years, maybe tens of thousands for some places. That's long enough for natural selection and evollution to take place.
When its cold and snowy and there's no food, the folks don't grow so much. Not much food to eat, plus with long legs and arms you'd get frostbite on those fingers. Wouldn't last long with no fingers. covered up all day? No need for pigmented skin. No furs to wear, you'd get cold, really cold.
When you have to chase lions and elephants, the little guys get eaten or trampled. That's natural selection. Out in the hot sun all day? You'd get tan, really tan.
If you lived on a warm tropical island with naked women and ate fish all day you'd be happy, really happy.
What does this have to do with athletes? I dunno. but I am going with genetics. Sure you can call it stereotyping, but where does that come from, anecdotal evidence. Hard to refute, and hard to prove. You just kinda know it. Asians are smart, Europeans are enterprising, Africans are athletic, Eskimos are hungry and Latino's are waiting until tomorrow to decide what to be.
If you found the preceding to offensive, get over it. Its a joke....mostly. :D

Froggystyle
01-02-2007, 12:45 PM
i'm going to say away from this one:idea: it could get sticky:(
It shouldn't have to. As long as it stays straight down the middle.
I do think it is interesting that as has been noted already, the really lucrative sports (F1 excluded) seem to be predominantly African-American atheletes. Certainly a dominating percentage are the real stars... especially in basketball and football.
But then you look at some other sports, particularly some with only niche spectator markets and you don't see as many.
It is an interesting social commentary I believe. I think energy and effort is focused on the most lucrative potential avenues. Smart move.
Another possible answer could be that these types of sports are played in most high-schools in America. The public school system will allow you to develop and excel in these arenas, but not so much in luge, fencing, polo, archery, mountain biking, tour bicycle riding, motorcycle racing, nascar etc...
I don't go for the Jimmy The Greek perspective. I think it is degrading the committment these folks have made to their sports and careers, and act like it is genetic, when I believe it to be 100% attitudinal and cultural. Certain cultures breed success in certain industries. This appears to be at least part of the case for professional athletes.

ratso
01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
I've noticed midget wrestling seems predominantly white...

Froggystyle
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
And nearly 100% midgets too...

eliminatedsprinter
01-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't go for the Jimmy The Greek perspective. I think it is degrading the committment these folks have made to their sports and careers, and act like it is genetic, when I believe it to be 100% attitudinal and cultural.
Indeed.:D
While some things clearly are genetic traits (ie height or sprint speed). These traits are not race specific.

spectras only
01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Two of the greatest soccer players were B & W ;) , Pele and Puskas .

SHOTKALLIN
01-02-2007, 01:40 PM
It's not 100% genetics. but genetics plays a huge part. Everybody is not blessed with the same gene pool. For instance a 5' short guy no matter what color he is has a verry slim chance at making it in the NBA. Its his genetic make up that is to blame for his lack of height. The opposite for a 7' tall guy. No matter what color...if he can dribble a ball his ticket is paid for.
I have a 2 friends that I played high school football with. They are brothers. in the 9th and 10th grades these guys looked like the had been hitting the weights in prison for 10 years. That my friends is genetics. They both went on to play at Cal Berkley. One made the NFL the other didn't.
In addition to good genes, A LITTLE TALENT AND A HUGE WORK ETHIC AND A NEVER QUIT ATTITUDE IS ALL THATS NEEDED.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-02-2007, 01:42 PM
There was an article in some runner's magazine over 15 years ago that said most of the short distance running events would be won by people of W. African descent. They have lots of fast twitch muscle, thick thighs, slim calves, thick Achilles tendons. The middle and long distance events are won by people of E. African descent (kenyans), which has to do with max VO2 ability in the lungs.
There are other studies showing that black track and field athletes carry 10 lbs less body fat than whites.
I played hoops every day for over 20 years, noticing that blacks at about 6' tall could mostly dunk, whereas whites at about 6'3" could mostly dunk.
Culturally, you have black city kids hang out at the basketball court all day, every day, from the age of 5.
Whites kids 50 years ago used to spend all day at the ballfield, now they don't. So we have to get infielders from the Caribbean now, where they play all day from an early age.
Blacks from hot climates have longer limbs, get rid of heat better, burn energy faster.
Whites and eskimos are built like polar bears. Short limbs, thicker torsos, that conserve heat.
There are lots of sports that aren't really exciting to watch on tv. Blacks excel at the sports requiring explosive action, ball sports that play well on tv, and are well paid.
There are plenty of fantastic endurance athletes that don't get paid much.
The SEALs take endurance, as do the marathon, and the tour de france.
White Europeans are making a comeback in basketball, because they have tall guys that can shoot and play facing the basket.
Thats alot of info that I didnt even know! Where did you find this?

SHOTKALLIN
01-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I have seen gangstas in jail that could be in body builder magazines. No special diet, just hard work. They dont even have weights. The food in jail is crap but somehow these dudes keep sixpack abs. On the street the drink 40's for breakfast. WTF??? This is another example of genetics playing a huge part.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I think that this thread is cool as long as it stays straight like froggy said;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I have seen gangstas in jail that could be in body builder magazines. No special diet, just hard work. They dont even have weights. The food in jail is crap but somehow these dudes keep sixpack abs. On the street the drink 40's for breakfast. WTF??? This is another example of genetics playing a huge part.
I agree!!!!! Peeps always ask me how I get big(muscular wise) so fast. I never can answer because I dont know. I remember state track finals. All the finalists in triple jump were black. They had some afican kid out there jumping olympic lengths:eek: I couldnt even come close to his azz!!!!!!!

mickeyfinn
01-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I think it is crazy to think no genetics are involved. I think that people adapt to their surroundings and develop tbe genes needed to survive in their particular circumstances. This takes more than the couple of hundred years that we have been over here. Guess the majority of blacks and whites are still running on momentum. In a few hundred more years as success continues to lend itself to the non-physical people people will develop into more and more non-athletes. I think this is already happening, but populations are increasing, that possibly create the same percentage of super athletes in each race. Since the black race is increasing in numbers faster than the white race, it makes perfect sense that more black athletes will be produced. Everyone seems afraid that this thread will go south, part of the problem today is that everyone walks on pins and needles afraid of insulting someone. We need to remember that we don't any of us have the right to not be offended, we do however have the right of free speech which inherently offers potential to offend. People have the right to be racist, and others have the right to get upset at others for being racist. Most racist are really just looking for a way to insult others with words. Verbal racism will continue as long as it gets a reaction, the only way to really end it is to quit responding to the racial taunting. Just like the bully in elementary school that insults other kids, when the insults quit getting a reaction they quit using them.

Misogynist
01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Leave it to Ratso to lay it on the line........ :D

Waist Deep
01-02-2007, 03:08 PM
A buddy told me this a long time ago that the blacks are better athletes because their nostrils are bigger so they can take in more air. My buddy said this, not me.
Q : BTW, Why do blacks make such good basketball players?
A : Because their knee grows
Sorry, my daughter told me that one.

eliminatedsprinter
01-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I think it is crazy to think no genetics are involved. I think that people adapt to their surroundings and develop tbe genes needed to survive in their particular circumstances. This takes more than the couple of hundred years that we have been over here. Guess the majority of blacks and whites are still running on momentum. In a few hundred more years as success continues to lend itself to the non-physical people people will develop into more and more non-athletes. I think this is already happening, but populations are increasing, that possibly create the same percentage of super athletes in each race.
Genetics is absolutly involved in many physical traits. However traits like speed, strength, coordination are not race specific. For example, if Yao Ming and Lisa Lestlie had a kid, chances are it might be able to grow into a center or a forward. But it would not have to do with their races, but rather their individual traits. Jonathon Edwards and Carol Lewis would most likely produce a good jumper as well, but again their races would have nothing to do with it.
P.S. Due to a genetic principle known as "regression twards the mean" the above offspring would most likely not be as exceptional as the most exceptional of their parents families. Ie Carol and Jonathon's son probably wouldn't jump like Carl or Jonathon and Lisa and Yao's kid would most likely not get as tall as Yao (but they might).

ratso
01-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Outline of Human Racial Classification:
I. Capoid or Khoisanid Subspecies of southern Africa
A. Khoid (Hottentot) race
B. Sanid (Bushmen) race
II. Congoid Subspecies of sub-Saharan Africa
A. Central Congoid race (Geographic center and origin in the Congo river basin)
1. Palaecongoid subrace (the Congo river basin: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Congo, Angola)
2. Sudanid subrace (western Africa: Niger, Mali, Senegal, Guinea)
3. Nilotid subrace (southern Sudan; the ancient Nubians were of this subrace)
4. Kafrid or Bantid subrace (east and south Africa: Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Natal)
B. Bambutid race (African Pygmies)
C. Aethiopid race (Ethiopia, Somalia; hybridized with Caucasoids)
III. Caucasoid or Europid Subspecies (Geographic distribution centered in the Caucasus mountains)
A. Mediterranid race
1. West Mediterranean or Iberid subrace (Spain, Portugal, Corsica, Sardinia, and coastal areas of Morocco and Tunisia; the Atlanto-Mediterranean peoples who expanded over much of the Atlantic coastal regions of Europe during the Mesolithic period were a branch of this subrace)
2. East Mediterranean or Pontid subrace (Black Sea coast of Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria; Aegean coasts of Greece and Turkey)
3. Dinaricized Mediterraneans (Residual mixed types resulting from the blending of Mediterranids with Dinarics, Alpines or Armenids; not a unified type, has much regional variation; predominant element [over 60%] in Sicily and southern Italy, principal element in Turkey [35%], important element in western Syria, Lebanon and central Italy, common in northern Italy. The ancient Cappadocian Mediterranean subrace of Anatolia was dinaricized during the Bronze Age [second millennium B.C.] and is a major contributor to this type in modern Turkey.)
4. South Mediterranean or Saharid subrace (predominant in Algeria and Libya, important in Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt)
5. Orientalid or Arabid subrace (predominant in Arabia, major element from Egypt to Syria, primary in northern Sudan, important in Iraq, predominant element among the Oriental Jews)
B. Dinaric race (predominant in western Balkans [Dinaric Mountains] and northern Italy, important in the Czech Republic, eastern and southern Switzerland, western Austria and eastern Ukraine)
C. Alpine race (predominant element in Luxembourg, primary in Bavaria and Bohemia, important in France, Hungary, eastern and southern Switzerland)
D. Ladogan race (named after Lake Ladoga; indigenous to Russia; includes Lappish subrace of arctic Europe)
E. Nordish or Northern European race (various subraces in the British Isles, Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Belgium; predominant element in Germany, Switzerland, Poland, Finland and the Baltic States; majority in Austria and Russia; minority in France, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary; outlined in detail in The Nordish Race)
F. Armenid race (predominant element in Armenia, common in Syria, Lebanon and northern Iraq, primary element among the Ashkenazic Jews)
G. Turanid race (partially hybridized with Mongoloids; predominant element in Kazakhstan.; common in Hungary and Turkey)
H. Irano-Afghan race (predominant in Iran and Afghanistan, primary element in Iraq, common [25%] in Turkey)
I. Indic or Nordindid race (Pakistan and northern India)
J. Dravidic race (India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka [Ceylon]; ancient stabilized Indic-Veddoid [Australoid] blend)
IV. Australoid Subspecies
A. Veddoid race (remnant Australoid population in central and southern India)
B. Negritos (remnants in Malaysia and the Philippines)
C. Melanesian race (New Guinea, Papua, Solomon Islands)
D. Australian-Tasmanian race (Australian Aborigines)
V. Mongoloid Subspecies
A. Northeast Asian race (various subraces in China, Manchuria, Korea and Japan)
B. Southeast Asian race (various subraces in Indochina, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, some partly hybridized with Australoids)
C. Micronesian-Polynesian race (hybridized with Australoids)
D. Ainuid race (remnants of aboriginal population in northern Japan)
E. Tungid race (Mongolia and Siberia, Eskimos)
F. Amerindian race (American Indians; various subraces)
More than I wanted to know about races...
But most of the slaves originated in the paleocongoid subrace.
I am very offended by this post...:mad: :jawdrop: :D

Tom Brown
01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I have no perspective on the athletic question but I'd like to know why some African-North-American chicks are so focking hot.

axkiker
01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
What does this have to do with athletes? I dunno. but I am going with genetics. Sure you can call it stereotyping, but where does that come from, anecdotal evidence. Hard to refute, and hard to prove. You just kinda know it. Asians are smart, Europeans are enterprising, Africans are athletic, Eskimos are hungry and Latino's are waiting until tomorrow to decide what to be.
If you found the preceding to offensive, get over it. Its a joke....mostly. :D
HAHAH thats funny sh@# right there

axkiker
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I have a 2 friends that I played high school football with. They are brothers. in the 9th and 10th grades these guys looked like the had been hitting the weights in prison for 10 years. That my friends is genetics. They both went on to play at Cal Berkley. One made the NFL the other didn't.
In addition to good genes, A LITTLE TALENT AND A HUGE WORK ETHIC AND A NEVER QUIT ATTITUDE IS ALL THATS NEEDED.
Yep this is exactly what im talking about. I used to fight for a karate team where we were told to work out etc on a very regular basis. If not we lost our rides. I had a team mate who was black and he would get huge FAST. In the matter of 2 seasons he went from fighting light weight to fighting heavy. And non of it was fat. I worked out just as much and really in some cases more. Well im still a skinny white boy. Now when we sparred it was always a toss up who won so it didnt help him much. However it sure hurt when he punched me in the face and chicks did a ripped body. So more power to him. I wish i had a little of thoes genes and maybe a better tan.

Misogynist
01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
OKAY NOW!!! Lets throw a new twist in all of this......ready, if Adam & Eve had Caine & Able, where'd females come from, let alone any other race:idea: :idea: :idea: :eek: :eek: :eek:
They were the spawn of some other planet... that is why men don't always get along with them... we just happen to be able to breed with them........ :D

Misogynist
01-02-2007, 07:29 PM
As a point of fact:
1. Tiger Woods is 50% Thai, not 50% Filipino. They really couldn't be any more different.
2. No one on the Fearsome Foursome played at over 275. Merlin Olson was about 270 at his heaviest and the other were all at about 250 or less. Deacon Jones was the only one that could run anywhere near a 4.6 40. Rosey Grier probably couldn't have run a 5.6 40.
3. And Froggystyle, most serial killers are also white. There's a reason most SEALs and Force Recon Marines are clinical sociopaths and it's not sheer dumb luck.
There is another theory of why white America can be so violent. Historically it was the "A type" personalities that migrated from Europe to America. The sissies that were afraid of a long boat ride stayed home. Hence... we got a-hole genes........ :D

ratso
01-02-2007, 08:18 PM
As a point of fact:
3. And Froggystyle, most serial killers are also white. There's a reason most SEALs and Force Recon Marines are clinical sociopaths and it's not sheer dumb luck.
Funny how statistics can be skewed to fit any scenario you want depending on the point one may be trying to make...
Men make up 93% of serial killers:jawdrop:
Most are white because 80% of the population is white;)
If you include all perpetrators of multiple homicides (which basically is a serial killer) and gang related killings, African Americans account for 20% to 30%, yet are only 13% of the population.:D
Shall we proceed...:rolleyes:

Misogynist
01-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Funny how statistics can be skewed to fit any scenario you want depending on the point one may be trying to make...
Men make up 93% of serial killers:jawdrop:
Most are white because 80% of the population is white;)
If you include all perpetrators of multiple homicides (which basically is a serial killer) and gang related killings, African Americans account for 20% to 30%, yet are only 13% of the population.:D
Shall we proceed...:rolleyes:
Despite being 13 percent of the population... there are more black males between the ages of 18 and 26 either in prison, on probation, or some court ordered supervision than there are in institutions of higher learning... 13% of the population, 80% of the prison population. Scary statistics. I believe the "four horsemen of the apocolypse" for modern society are unemployment, hopelessness, drugs and dysfuntional family lives... :devil:

ratso
01-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Despite being 13 percent of the population... there are more black males between the ages of 18 and 26 either in prison, on probation, or some court ordered supervision than there are in institutions of higher learning... 13% of the population, 80% of the prison population. Scary statistics. I believe the "four horsemen of the apocolypse" for modern society are unemployment, hopelessness, drugs and dysfuntional family lives... :devil:
Hey! I resemble that last remark!!!http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-02-2007, 09:02 PM
:idea:

SHOTKALLIN
01-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Well I gueas blacks aren't good enough atheletes to outrun tha MAN:D

Misogynist
01-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Roflmao... I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread started to spiral in........... :D

Froggystyle
01-03-2007, 10:51 AM
3. And Froggystyle... There's a reason most SEALs and Force Recon Marines are clinical sociopaths and it's not sheer dumb luck.
What's the reason then?

eliminatedsprinter
01-03-2007, 10:57 AM
A buddy told me this a long time ago that the blacks are better athletes because their nostrils are biggger.
This is not true, a person's nostril size is not determined by their race. It is detremined by the thickness of their fingers.;)

eliminatedsprinter
01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
As a point of fact:
I disagree.
In college Rosey was a world class shot putter and discus thrower (great in the hammer too) and he was explosive as hell. His lifetime best in the forty was just over 4.5. He told me himself that he, Deacon, Lamar, and Merlin all loved to time themselves in the forty and they all had posted times under 4.6, at one time or the other, in their lives. He also told me that they also played at weights well above what they were listed at most of the time. I haven't seen him in several years, but I have spoken with him in the past at length, about this. Rosey is an honest man and I trust his memory more than the fan lit that dominates sports writing...

eliminatedsprinter
01-03-2007, 11:35 AM
As a point of fact:
2. No one on the Fearsome Foursome played at over 275. Merlin Olson was about 270 at his heaviest and the other were all at about 250 or less. Deacon Jones was the only one that could run anywhere near a 4.6 40. Rosey Grier probably couldn't have run a 5.6 40.
I beg to differ on this. See above.:cool:
P.S. I know practice times in the forty are hand held by coaches and the above times may be suspect. However, all football forty times are equally suspect, esp some of the nutty times that are often quoted today on some players. Esp since the fastest players in the league today are actually slower than the fastest players were 15-20 years ago...

Misogynist
01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
This is not true, a person's nostril size is not determined by their race. It is detremined by the thickness of their fingers.;)
I've noticed mine getting bigger with time........ is that why?.. :D

ratso
01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Oh damn... lmao! That ain't right!:D

RiverDave
01-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not going to bother getting to heavy into the conversation becuase everytime I do things get taken way out of context..
I just wanted to say that I read an article once about this very subject. It was the authors opinion that many of the great black athletes of today were desendants of slaves. He had in fact even traced back a few lineages. It wasn't uncommon for plantation owners to in fact "breed" characteristics that were favored for outside slaves, as well as breed out characteristics that weren't favored. Favored traits included being stronger, larger, obediance etc.. etc. Traits that were being breed out were associtated with problem solving, and higher thinking etc..
RD

ratso
01-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm not going to bother getting to heavy into the conversation becuase everytime I do things get taken way out of context..
I just wanted to say that I read an article once about this very subject. It was the authors opinion that many of the great black athletes of today were desendants of slaves. He had in fact even traced back a few lineages. It wasn't uncommon for plantation owners to in fact "breed" characteristics that were favored for outside slaves, as well as breed out characteristics that weren't favored. Favored traits included being stronger, larger, obediance etc.. etc. Traits that were being breed out were associtated with problem solving, and higher thinking etc..
RD
Apparently the plantation owners wives had a few things in mind to breed in a certain characteristic too...:jawdrop: :D

Mandelon
01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
I disagree.
In college Rosey was a world class shot putter and discus thrower (great in the hammer too) and he was explosive as hell. His lifetime best in the forty was just over 4.5. He told me himself that he, Deacon, Lamar, and Merlin all loved to time themselves in the forty and they all had posted times under 4.6, at one time or the other, in their lives. He also told me that they also played at weights well above what they were listed at most of the time. I haven't seen him in several years, but I have spoken with him in the past at length, about this. Rosey is an honest man and I trust his memory more than the fan lit that dominates sports writing...
And that mo-fo can needle point something fierce too. :D

eliminatedsprinter
01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
And that mo-fo can needle point something fierce too. :D
Damn right. A true renaissance man.;) A really nice guy too.:D

eliminatedsprinter
01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
OKAY NOW!!! Lets throw a new twist in all of this......ready, if Adam & Eve had Caine & Able, where'd females come from, let alone any other race:idea: :idea: :idea: :eek: :eek: :eek:
DNA studies have shown that there are no true genetically distinct races. We are all the same race that over time, long ago, developed geographically distinct differences in external appearance. The last truly seperate race to walk the earth with Homo Sapiens Sapiens was most likely Homo Sapians Neandertalensis.

Misogynist
01-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Apparently the plantation owners wives had a few things in mind to breed in a certain characteristic too...:jawdrop: :D
Ok... since you brought it up... no one else has said it... so I guess I'll have to say it...... MANDINGO!.... ROFLMAO..... :D

OKIE-JET
01-03-2007, 04:34 PM
RD
Dead nuts on.

Old Texan
01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I disagree.
I agree e-sprinter.
I was a youngster when those guys played. Couldn't get enogh of them. My favorite was Roger Brown who replaced Rosey in '67. Roger was 6'-5" and about 300 but was noted for his quickness and was one of the NFL's fastest linemen. I was a Lions fan then and hated that they traded him but he fit right in after Rosey retired.
My favorite Rosey Grier story was Metrocal the dietary drink getting Rosey to do their commercials. Only problem was Rosey got to liking the stuff so much he gained ablut 10 pounds. He told the story on a Tonight show appearance.
The original named "Fearsome Foursome" was actually Earl Faison "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd, Bill Hudson, and Ron Nery of the AFL SD Chargers. Ladd was
6'-9", 315 and considered one of the biggest fastest lineman of all time. My humble opinion has Faison and Deacon Jones as probably the 2 best DEs in history.

eliminatedsprinter
01-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I agree e-sprinter.
I was a youngster when those guys played. Couldn't get enogh of them. My favorite was Roger Brown who replaced Rosey in '67. Roger was 6'-5" and about 300 but was noted for his quickness and was one of the NFL's fastest linemen. I was a Lions fan then and hated that they traded him but he fit right in after Rosey retired.
My favorite Rosey Grier story was Metrocal the dietary drink getting Rosey to do their commercials. Only problem was Rosey got to liking the stuff so much he gained ablut 10 pounds. He told the story on a Tonight show appearance.
The original named "Fearsome Foursome" was actually Earl Faison "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd, Bill Hudson, and Ron Nery of the AFL SD Chargers. Ladd was
6'-9", 315 and considered one of the biggest fastest lineman of all time. My humble opinion has Faison and Deacon Jones as probably the 2 best DEs in history.
No disagrement here. I'm a bit young to remember Faison, but Deacon Jones is by far the best DE I've ever seen and the quickest.

eliminatedsprinter
01-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I have a friend who I'd bet money is neanderthal...plus there's the Geico commercials...
You know Hairy Bob??:eek: :D ;)