PDA

View Full Version : Ride plate question/HELP!!!!!

Dominator Scott
01-02-2007, 07:20 AM
I am putting on a new ride plate for my dad's Sanger and was wondering how long I should make it. The existing ride plate is what it came with and since installing the Aggressor Droop Snoot you guys have suggested I go with a longer plate.
The ride plate I am making will be 21" long which will put the end of the plate at about the mid-section of the droop or just past it. Is that about where it about right?

Wicked Performance Boats
01-02-2007, 07:31 AM
I beieve the "experts" think it only needs to go back to the rear edge of the splitbowl. BL

Dominator Scott
01-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I beieve the "experts" think it only needs to go back to the rear edge of the splitbowl. BL
That isn't much longer than what is currently on it. Wouldn't extending it further be more beneficial?

Wicked Performance Boats
01-02-2007, 08:55 AM
My guess would be maybe too much drag when it gets too long. But you could build it longer and start shortening it till you reach max speed. Just a thought. Budlight

UBFJ #454
01-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Most of the 1/4 Mile boats have ride plates on the order of 18 1/2 inches.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Make it 3feet :eek: Mine runs to the end of the bowl;)

Dominator Scott
01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Most of the 1/4 Mile boats have ride plates on the order of 18 1/2 inches.
The new ride plate is cut at 20" which just extends it past the bowl about an inch. I will have it drilled and installed tonight.

Dominator Scott
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Where can I find a set of longer turn buckles to adjust the ride plate? Or a bracket that mounts to the bowl so I can use my existing turn buckles?

Wicked Performance Boats
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Make your own plates from 1/4" and use your turnbuckles. BL

BrendellaJet
01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
yup.

FASTJTBT
01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Mr Papp did my set up works great in tthe morning i will measure it and send it to you. RIP TOM YOU BE MISSED

Dominator Scott
01-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Actually I did some dry fitting last night and with turning the turn buckles all the way out they can be mounted within 3" of the end of the 20" ride plate and still being attached to the transom which where they are now from the factory. Would that work okay? My guess is yeah since my K-plane's on my offshore boat have about 10" from the mounting point of the hydraulic ram to the end of the K-Plane.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Actually I did some dry fitting last night and with turning the turn buckles all the way out they can be mounted within 3" of the end of the 20" ride plate and still being attached to the transom which where they are now from the factory. Would that work okay? My guess is yeah since my K-plane's on my offshore boat have about 10" from the mounting point of the hydraulic ram to the end of the K-Plane.
They would be stronger straighter down than angled to much. BL

Dominator Scott
01-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Well after about 4 hours of my time and $18.00 out of my pocket for the aluminum plate,the new ride plate is cut,drilled,wetsanded,polished to a mirror shine and on the boat. Hopefully it works better than the original ride plate.
I have been following all your guy's advice on what to do with this boat so now is you chance to grade me on my follow direction skills. What do ya think?:idea:

Wicked Performance Boats
01-04-2007, 08:57 AM
A. There's no supports on the rideplate. It;s going to bend and warp. B. The angle of the turnbuckles is so severe, that they will break sooner or later.
C. The amount of movement required on turnbuckle adjustment to make an adjustment is much greater because of the angle.
D What degree did you set the rideplate.
Budlight

Dominator Scott
01-04-2007, 09:11 AM
A. There's no supports on the rideplate. It;s going to bend and warp. B. The angle of the turnbuckles is so severe, that they will break sooner or later.
C. The amount of movement required on turnbuckle adjustment to make an adjustment is much greater because of the angle.
D What degree did you set the rideplate.
Budlight
a) There wasn't any supports on th original ride plate either so why would this bend when the original never did? It's only about 4-5" longer.
b)The angle of the turnbuckles has changed very little. I just spun them out some to compensate for the added length.
c)I haven't adjusted the ride plate yet.
d) what degree should it be set at? I was told about a 1/4" higher than the bottom of the hull.
My father lives on a small private lake and literally has the only go-fast boat on the lake so it's not like it takes a pounding out there. Most of the time it's just a few pontoons and some fisherman in their row boats.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
a) There wasn't any supports on th original ride plate either so why would this bend when the original never did? It's only about 4-5" longer.
b)The angle of the turnbuckles has changed very little. I just spun them out some to compensate for the added length.
c)I haven't adjusted the ride plate yet.
d) what degree should it be set at? I was told about a 1/4" higher than the bottom of the hull.
My father lives on a small private lake and literally has the only go-fast boat on the lake so it's not like it takes a pounding out there. Most of the time it's just a few pontoons and some fisherman in their row boats.
It will bend under load maybe just not staying bent.
When you adjust the plate up the rideplate will bow.
Adjust the rideplate to approx 3 to 4 degrees up in back off the keel line. Then see if there's a rocker in it. Should be flat

Dominator Scott
01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Adjust the rideplate to approx 3 to 4 degrees up in back off the keel line. Then see if there's a rocker in it. Should be flat
I will let you know what happens. I have never seen a ride plate with gussets for added strength and that is why I didn't weld any on. I suppose welding a couple gussets on would be easy enough if I have too though.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-04-2007, 09:57 AM
You can bolt them on with countersunk screws

Dominator Scott
01-04-2007, 02:53 PM
I went home at lunch today and adjusted the ride plate about 4 degrees up and there is no rocker to it what so ever. So she stayed flat after adjusting it up. I also used allen head counter sunk stainless machine screws to fasten the ride plate and turnbuckles. It originally had flat head screwdriver counter sunk screws in it which were a pain in the azz to break loose.:mad:

DEL51
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Well after about 4 hours of my time and $18.00 out of my pocket for the aluminum plate,the new ride plate is cut,drilled,wetsanded,polished to a mirror shine and on the boat. Hopefully it works better than the original ride plate.
I have been following all your guy's advice on what to do with this boat so now is you chance to grade me on my follow direction skills. What do ya think?:idea:
That sure looks nice,everything!I think the reason it didn't bow before was due to the short length and less power to raise the bow.I ran 100mph in my sanger with no rideplate/shoe combo.Pump was setback and the intake was set up different than the norm.I like your boat more every time I see it.

jetboat
01-05-2007, 06:31 AM
what grit wet sand paper did you use,and was it a mothers polish?just finished making my oun also fron 1/4'' al'mn.

Dominator Scott
01-05-2007, 06:57 AM
what grit wet sand paper did you use,and was it a mothers polish?just finished making my oun also fron 1/4'' al'mn.
I used 800 grit emery paper to wetsand it and good ole' Mothers Mag Polish.

Dominator Scott
01-05-2007, 07:04 AM
That sure looks nice,everything!I think the reason it didn't bow before was due to the short length and less power to raise the bow.I ran 100mph in my sanger with no rideplate/shoe combo.Pump was setback and the intake was set up different than the norm.I like your boat more every time I see it.
Thanks for the compliment but it is actually my dad's boat. I just finished restoring it for him for Christmas and now it is just in my garage for the winter. I'm personally into the offshore scene and own a Sunsation 32 Dominator with twin 700SC's and all the trimmings, which tops out just over 110mph.
I have to admit though that I have a lot of fun with this Sanger when I have it to run in the spring and late summer.:)