PDA

View Full Version : We've lost a great friend

BUSBY
01-02-2007, 08:59 AM
We have lost one of the most important persons to the hot boating world.
Tom Papp has passed away from a heart attack.
Tommy was one of my best friends and I will miss him.
My phone started ringing off the hook in the middle of the night with the horrible news.
For those of us who knew Tommy well ... we were honored with a true friendship. Tommy was the kind of guy who would bend over backwards to help you w/ when you needed it.
One of my favorite sayings from Tommy was, "With all of the free crap I do around here, I might never get rich ... but I'll have a lot of brownie points when I get to heaven"
I'll miss you Tommy. Save me a spot in the pits up there.
Brian Busby

b's sanger
01-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Sorry to hear. God Bless.

sleekvino
01-02-2007, 09:04 AM
never got to meet him in person, but he was a great guy to talk to he always had the time to talk to ya, he will be missed....R.I.P MR.PAPP

75MillerJet
01-02-2007, 09:10 AM
sorry for the horrible news. RIP TP

mirrorimage
01-02-2007, 09:10 AM
:( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Devilman
01-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Damn. Some sad news indeed. Never had any dealings with the man, but from what I've gathered here in the last few years, he was a helluva guy that will be greatly missed. :( May God bless.....

FOURQ
01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
i just got the news as well. I am in shock as he was a good friend and a great guy... we will all miss him and the whole boat community will as well as he was a wealth of knowledge and willing to help anyone.
GOD SPEED TOMMY WE WILL MISS YOU :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BIGAMIST
01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Terrible news:jawdrop: .......God Bless Tom Papp & family.

Cs19
01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
RIP Tommy.
He was hands down one of the nicest guys you'll meet in the jetboat group. He would do anything for anyone just to help them out. He will be missed by all of us.
Cs19.

victorfb
01-02-2007, 09:20 AM
the first time i ever met Tom was at his shop. not knowing me from adam he took time out of his busy day to just sort of chit chat about stuff and i wasnt even a customer. i knew right away he and his wife both were way good people.
he will be very missed.
our heart felt condolence to his family and friends.
Toni and victor.

460 jus getn it
01-02-2007, 09:22 AM
RIP Tom you will be missed. A stand up guy who was willing to help anyone out. May god bless his friends and family.

Bense468
01-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Rip Buddy. Were Gonna Miss Ya.

Nucking futs
01-02-2007, 09:28 AM
God speed my freind, You will be missed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DILLIGAF
01-02-2007, 09:31 AM
DAMN, sorry to hear that. Tom did some work for me recently and I also had other work done by him in the past. He was always pleasant and had time to explain something to you so a novice could understand it.
He will be missed.
Tom, Sky and Justin W
RIP Tom

Jim Brock
01-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow , what a shock, Tommy we will miss you greatly,can't put into words the friendship over the last 30 yrs. a great asset to the jet boat world and a great person, God Bless you!!!

78CoLe
01-02-2007, 09:45 AM
what a blow to me cant imagine the blow to the rest of the boating world and the racing cummunity my thoughts and prairs go to all

slowasscp
01-02-2007, 09:48 AM
RIP Tommy the 6th street boys will miss you

nitro557
01-02-2007, 09:48 AM
very very sorry to hear that

RCB19
01-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Not good news... Thoughts to the family and his jet boat family.

Cas
01-02-2007, 09:58 AM
real sorry to hear this news! RIP Tom!

SmokinLowriderSS
01-02-2007, 09:59 AM
My condolences to you Brian, your family, and to the Papp family. :(

78Southwind
01-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Rest In Peace Tommy. My heart felt condolences to his family.
I had always heard great things about Tommy and a little over a year ago I finally meet him and did some business with him. After our dealings, he continued to help me when I had questions and when I would come around the shop he made me feel like I was part of his jet boat family.

Mrs. Revndave
01-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Tommy will be greatly missed by me. My heart goes out to Terri and family.
Tommy will alway have a place in my heart. Speard your wings and watch over us Pappy:( :cry:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Are you F*CKING kidding me:cry: :cry: I was getting ready to call him this morning too!!!
He was the guy that stopped workingon a paying customers boat to teach me how to blueprint a bottom. I never spent a dime with him and he has always helped me over the phone. Now the day I decide to call him and actually buy parts from him he is gone:cry:cry::cry:

Wicked Performance Boats
01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
We never met him in person BUT he was always willing to take the time to help us out. Everytime we'll see a boat with "Tom Papp Racing" on the side we'll remember his legacy. Great man! Rest in Peace Tom. Pat & Julie

superdave013
01-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Holy crap I'm stunned right now. :(
Tom was one of the coolest guys you could ever know. Huge loss to performance boating.
RIP Tom
Dave Bottomley

dumbandyoung
01-02-2007, 10:35 AM
oh man!.. no way,, sorry to hear.

Jetboatguru
01-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Holy crap I'm stunned right now. :(
Tom was one of the coolest guys you could ever know. Huge loss to performance boating.
RIP Tom
Dave Bottomley
You hit that on head Dave. Great man and a wealth of knowledge.
Tony

Wicked Performance Boats
01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
They say all great people die in three's. First James Brown, then Gearld Ford, and when Suddam Hussain was hanged, I thought he wasn't a great man. I was right. Tom Papp is a great man!!!! RIP BL

Psycho Squid
01-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Woke to a ringing phone @ 5am to hear Tommy had passed away. Tom has been a great friend to me and my family & a valuable asset in the buisness. Tom never told me no or we can't. Tom was always there to help when I needed him most, Buisness or pleasure. God must have needed an awsome boat builder. He got one! I'll miss him.
Petrovich,

Wet Dream
01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I never got the chance to meet or talk to the guy, but his name is a legend in the world of boat racing and performance. Sorry to hear the news. I wish the family well.

roostwear
01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
This is the last thing I thought I'd read this morning. Tom was instrumental in getting the Circus Boat and trailer repaired last year and getting me back on the water for a full season. His passing is a huge loss to all of us.
RIP Tom.....

Hustler
01-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Rest in peace Tommy. You were a great friend to many of us.:(

Big Proppa
01-02-2007, 11:25 AM
TOM PAPP
A great guy who always went way out of his way to make sure we all had what we needed. I can't count how many times he has worked late into the night just to make sure we wouldn't miss a big weekend, or a trip to the river.
I spoke to him over the weekend and I can't believe it was for the last time.
Rest in Peace Tommy - you will be greatly missed.

Wet Dream
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Tom Papp and Don Bowers are shooting the shit right now.

dmontzsta
01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
damn. I just read the other post and now it makes sense. Very sad indeed, he was a master in the jet boat community.
RIP Tom.

Bottle Fed
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I can't put into words how much he will be missed by the hundreds of people and myself that he touched. He helped me with my past couple of boats but most of all he has helped me build my photography business to what it is today. I was so proud and honored when he asked me to put one of my stickers on his truck. I know my life and many others are better because of the awesome man known as Tom Papp. Our lives will never be the same and he will never be forgotten.
Moneysucker and I are working on a "In Loving Memory of Tom Papp" stickers with the years and a siloette of one of Toms racing stealths. I will let you guys know when they are done and ready.
Jeff

HBjet
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Shocked...
I can't believe this. Tom was the nicest person by far and always willing to help out. I never spent a dime with the guy and he still offered advice for me whether it was for my boat or in the pits with Cyclones boat. He even gave me a TPR t-shirt and I was honored... Truly the nicest guy and he certainly made me feel as if I was one of his best customers.
You will be missed Tom... :(

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I can say that I have a boat that has his latest work on it. THis boat will probablly never leave my posession. It has sentimental value along with Don's D.P.S inducer and shaft seal.

HBjet
01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Moneysucker and I are working on a "In Loving Memory of Tom Papp" stickers with the years and a siloette of one of Toms racing stealths. I will let you guys know when they are done and ready.
I will certainly buy a few off you... thanks!
HBjet

squirt'nmyload
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
wow...very sad news:( :( :( :( RIP

MaryJane Rottenkrotch
01-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Tom Papp was a great man and will be greatly missed. 53 is way to young to die. We will really miss him. Our hearts go out to his friends and family (related and boating). Martinez lake will never be the same without tommy there.

blue wonder
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
They definetly broke the mold when they made tommy...and i doubt there will ever be anyone else like him...we all lost a great friend...this is definetly one of the sadest days in not only the boating industry but more importantly in all our personal lives...we all are going to miss you very much...may you watch over me next year at the track and help me from above...take care buddy we all miss you!!!!!!!!!!:(

Big H
01-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Sure is a dissapointing way to start of our sport's New Year. Tom sure was a character to talk to. Helped me with my project even though he couldn't spare 2 minutes to himself if he needed to. Lot's of love for a guy like him...

disco_charger
01-02-2007, 01:42 PM
A sad loss of a class act. :(

Mrs. Revndave
01-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I can't put into words how much he will be missed by the hundreds of people and myself that he touched. He helped me with my past couple of boats but most of all he has helped me build my photography business to what it is today. I was so proud and honored when he asked me to put one of my stickers on his truck. I know my life and many others are better because of the awesome man known as Tom Papp. Our lives will never be the same and he will never be forgotten.
Jeff
Please let us know I would really like to get one for my hubby. Tommy was like a 2nd father & really good friend.
Thanks

Danhercules
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
RIP.
I never spent a lot of money, but he wanted to help me. Last year I bought the first TPR Deck. He helped me with the purchase and he was gonna help me this spring with the new motor. As I said, I did not spend much money there, but he treated me like I was his best customer.
Tom Papp will be missed.

promod
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
wow speechless good man that's for sure, yep him and don are chilling
godspeed tom

mouzer
01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Will miss ya Tommy........GODS SPEED my friend!

BUSBY
01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
In speaking to a lot of people today, it is obvious that Tommy will be missed. As details of services and/or a remberence event comes up ... they will be posted.
Man ... it's hard ... I usually have my daily afternoon phone call from him about now to bust my chops about one thing or another ... this is gonna be rough.

sanger mike
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I never got a chance to meet Tommy. it sounds like he was a great guy. this is so sad to here this. RIP TOMMY :cry: :cry: :cry:

revndave
01-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Wow I'm still in shock.I've know Tommy for about 10 years.He always helped me out.He would help anybody in need.I remember many late night fire drills at his shops.My prays go out to your family.You'll be missed buddy.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/686100_0019-med.JPG
RIP

George Pataki
01-02-2007, 03:08 PM
WOW!
I just seen this and it really hit me like a ton of brick's.
I'm deeply saddend. My prayers to you Papp, We're gonna miss ya.

1968Droptop
01-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I've only been around these boats for a couple short years, but I hear his name time and time again. Sorry to hear about his passing, R.I.P.

maxwedge
01-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Very sad news. R.I.P. Tom.:(

Schiada Time
01-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I had the privledge of meeting Tom a few times when venturing to his shop with Cyclone to work on his Ultra. Very nice guy and he will be missed. My sympathies go out to his wife, family and friends.

Miss Perfect
01-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Wow, I am in shock. I know Tom has a great number of friends on here. My heart goes out to all of you and his family. Rest in peace Tom. :(

mirrorimage
01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
thanx tommy...... its gonna be hard not seeing you at the track ... R.I.P........ you willl be missed :( :( :( :( :(

Sweet Cruz
01-02-2007, 05:13 PM
:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
God Speed, R.I.P. Tom Papp

565edge
01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Tommy will be missed. He helped me and alot my friends out on the Central Coast.Helped me build my last 3 boats. Im in shock. I wish the best for his family...Im speechless...Somebody please put up the memorial info....
Rest In Peace!!!!!!

steelcomp
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. Tommy was an Icon, and he'll be missed by a lot of people.
My condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

Duane HTP
01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Shocking news. When I got the news this morning I couldn't believe it. The two boats we were going to work on today are both Stealth's. We just walked around looking at the floor most of the day. Tom Papp was a good man. He will be missed by all of us. Rest in Peace Tom.

jrork
01-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Horrible news. Though I never had the pleasure of meeting the man it's obvious that he was loved.
Regretably most times when there is an unexpected passing there is a huge shock and burden on the family. I gotta ask, do we know how the family is doing and if they need help from us?
Makes you wanna call folks that have been a huge influence in your life and just thank them doesnt it?
R.I.P. Tom............John

BUSBY
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I gotta ask, do we know how the family is doing and if they need help from us?
Makes you wanna call folks that have been a huge influence in your life and just thank them doesnt it?
R.I.P. Tom............John
Thanks for asking ... his family is dealing with it fairly well. Unfortunately, Tommy WAS Tom Papp Racing ... and those shoes can't really be filled.
His shop was open today and while I couldn't be there, I was called and told that everything was being taken care of. There will be a transition period with finishing up current projects ... but the future of TPR cannot be determined at this point. I'm sure everyone can understand that.
There has been a large number of people reaching out offering to do anything to help out, and those offers are appriciated. But the best thing is to post up here with stories and/or memories to remember Tommy. I know his son was by the shop and was pretty shook up ... hopefully, he will get to read this and see how many people's lives Tommy touched and how important his Father was to all of us.
And I agree with you, I feel like calling up a few people and thanking them for their friendships ... unfortunately, Tommy was one that I should have thanked sooner.

Infomaniac
01-02-2007, 06:22 PM
:( :( :( :( :(

TRG
01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
First of all i would like to say,...Thanks to all of my TPR family, i have been blessed to have such a tight knit family such as you, if it were not for Tommy i would not have built such solid relationships with you and your families, and i thank Tommy for that, you are all good people!
I met Tommy maybe 4 years ago and i have to say, i have never met another man like him, he has helped me through some real tough times in my professional life as well as personal, the man was a hard ass when it came time to work with him, and was the sweetest man when you needed a shoulder, for that i thank you "Boss", i will never forget you!...Bottom line!
P.S. I used to joke with Tommy and call him a "Legend", cuz growing up on the river my father and uncles used to always bring him up when talking about putting on a set of headers or some sort of performance addition to their boats, so when he called me to do some work for him,..i was floored and honored to do so! Tommy, wether you like it or not, you were, are, and will always be a "Legend", cuz a "Legend"...will never die!
Your friend,
"Tbag"

advantage21
01-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Tom Was A Stand Up Guy And Has Many Brownie Points I Am Sure. I Took My Boat To Him The End Of Last Season To Put New Custom Mounts In, I Go And Pick It Up And He Tells Me Man This Engine Bay Is Super Clean For This Type Of Cruiser Bring Back All Of Your Parts To Me And I Will Powder Coat Them For You On The House, I Thought Man This Guy Is Doing This For Me I Was Speechless To Get That Type Of Treatment But I See He Was That Kinda Guy. So He Calls Me On A Sunday And Tells Me I Have Your Parts Back I Said What Are You Doing Working On A Sunday His Comment To Me Was (no Rest For The Wicked) I Hope You Rest In Peace Tom Cause You Have A Special Place In Many Peoples Hearts.

77charger
01-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Met him at the races about 3 years ago definitely a cool guy was one of his b day parties was a good time we were pitted next to him that weekend.
Also referred my brother to him to have his 22 daytona rigged(based on what many have said how he will always do whatever he can to get a job finished) and tommy got right to work on it was there last week to see the progress and they were movin along really well and has been on time Tom was showing me all the stuff they had did and what was going on.

Nucking futs
01-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Tom was a great person and always willing to help out anyone. I was just there friday ordering parts for the SWTD. I was to go today to pick up the parts. WOW, This ones gonna leave a mark. Im glad I had the honor to call him my freind.
He helped me with alot of stuff on the cruiser and let me use his shop like it was my own. Not to many people open up there shop for you to do that. When he saw the boat after the first time on the water after all the work done at his shop, me and my dad stopped by and let him know how it all went. Tom told me good job and handed me some TPR stickers and said to finish it off now. It is a pleasure to fly his name and he had all of my respect!! He will be greatly missed By alot of people. Not a way to start a new year. GOD SPEED.........
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1638100_0372-med.JPG

tazster
01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
to a man that i called my freind and most important my brother inlaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . pappy you ment the world to me i cant say how greatfull i am to have had you in my life you are a true hero and mentor to my son .mason wants to go to uncle toms we will miss you forever and we will never forget you REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!:(

1slowboat
01-02-2007, 08:25 PM
i just found out today as well, never meet the man in person but have had many phone calls with him, always willing to help out a hot boater..., and built some bad ass boats, has one hell of a history, may every one that has one of his boats take pride and let him smile down on you!!!!!! god speed Tom..

Willis
01-02-2007, 08:34 PM
January 2, 2007
Hello People,
Just wanted to express my condolence to the Papp Group and Family and to share this photo of Tom building my 2003 stealth boat when I first met a good friend.
Tom will truly be missed, farewell.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/61269/TomPappBuildtheTsunami149.jpg

Wicked Performance Boats
01-02-2007, 08:47 PM
You know I've only known a few Great people in life and one of them was Dale Earnhart and the other was Tom Papp! God must have a special place for them! pat & Julie

FUTURE
01-02-2007, 08:54 PM
I opened this post not thinking at all that I would have any idea who we lost. I have only owned a jet boat for a year & I just happened to have my work done with TOM. For how much I don't know about motors, I could rest assured that he wouldn't take me for a ride. He hated telling me that I had to replace this or that. Whenever I had a question, as busy as TOM was, I new he would take my call and answer my questions. TOM... You will truly be missed.
KC Carson:(

screamdreambrad
01-02-2007, 09:34 PM
as alot of you know; tommy is one of my truly best friends. i was introduced to him by another true friend steve brule' in 1999. these two legends in the sport along with my pal, and boat owner ed pacilio, have been the backbone for whatever you want to call my racing career. tom tought me most of everything i know about jetboats, with that i had some success. a world championship in 2004. a good run in 2005 barring engine problems. going to work driving for ed the last half of 05. in blown gas jet. moving on to bgh in 06. and tah for 07. none of this would have been possible without tom. i truly owe everything to him, and i will think of him everyday. the last we spoke was at his christmas party and when we were leaving his house i hugged him and told him i loved him; little knowing that was to be the last time i would see him on this earth! i will mis you tommy! godspeed.

Blown Income
01-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Via Con Dios my friend. Tommy was a guy I met by chance. I thought that my boat was ready for it's maiden trip to the water but I was informed by Tom and Vic otherwise, next thing I know they're both working on my Texas so that I can have a good weekend. Those shoes will be impossible to fill.
The Man, The Myth, and now and forever The Legend, TOM PAPP:(
You will be missed R.I.P.
God must have needed an awsome boat builder. He got one! I'll miss him.
Petrovich,

tazster
01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
hay brad i just wanted you to know that just the other night tommy and i were talking and your name came up and brad he loved you just as much as you did him you are a really good freind thanks for everything

Some Kind Of Monster
01-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Tom always took time to answer every little question I had no matter how busy he was. Tom will be greatly missed. God speed.

BrendellaJet
01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Wow, totally speechless.
I'd been meaning to call you & now I cant. Definitely a loss for this sport and your friends & family. Rest in Peace, Tom Papp. Condolences to the family.:cry:

IfYouOnlyKnew
01-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I sat here tonight, reading everyone of these messages....and just when I thought I couldn't cry one more tear, there were a million more.
Tom was truly blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful friends, and family. So many of you were there today for us, as we shared our sorrow, and an occasional laugh...sharing stories about Tom.
We will share plans for the service with everyone here, and for anyone might miss, please let them know.
Our hearts are breaking, but we know that with the love and support of all who knew Tom, we will get through it together.
My favorite sign on the wall (I bought it in Vegas..and carried it all over the strip)
"One Way My Way Highway".......he always did it his way.
The Papp Family
I love you Tommy....your lil sis
Nancy

FOURQ
01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I sat here tonight, reading everyone of these messages....and just when I thought I couldn't cry one more tear, there were a million more.
Tom was truly blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful friends, and family. So many of you were there today for us, as we shared our sorrow, and an occasional laugh...sharing stories about Tom.
We will share plans for the service with everyone here, and for anyone might miss, please let them know.
Our hearts are breaking, but we know that with the love and support of all who knew Tom, we will get through it together.
My favorite sign on the wall (I bought it in Vegas..and carried it all over the strip)
"One Way My Way Highway".......he always did it his way.
The Papp Family
I love you Tommy....your lil sis
Nancy
Nancy as i told you to pass the message on to Terry this morning the same goes for you and everyone else there if you need anything call me..
Shawn

BILLY.B
01-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Hard to believe. Got the news early this morning and was in total shock just like all of you. I hadn't seen Tom in quite a few years until Bakersfield this past racing season. It was just like old times. Him giving me crap for who knows what and me giving it right back. Tommy & I meet some 23 yrs ago when he worked out of Showtime Auto & Marine. I'd go by and no matter what he was working on he'd sit and talk to me as he knew I was going thru a difficult time (DIVORCE). Really a great guy at heart, and the type of guy you'd love to have on your side. RIP buddy.....

DFisher
01-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Going on about fifteen years.........Tom Papp has been a Good Friend and I have learn so much from him through his knowledge and expertise. "Papa Papp" was a friend to all of us and many of us met through Tommy's shop. Many of us had the opportunity to see him in action and work with him side by side many a nights working on race boats together. Many good times can be remembered....... Tom you will always be remembered. TPR

DFisher
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
"Fire it up Tom" TPR God Bless & God's Speed Friend.

Rexone
01-02-2007, 10:36 PM
As I posted on the other threads, God bless Tom and his family. Rest in peace Tom and know that many many people care a great deal about you as is obvious from this and the other threads here. :(

Bense468
01-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Would be nice to see ***boat step up to the plate and do a bitchen tribute to the man that has been a part of the scene for a very long time.

MikeF
01-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Gravity continues to set in for me. :(
Will always remember the selflessness in how he conducted himself and the firm handshake.
You are missed.
May we meet again.

Outlaw
01-03-2007, 07:07 AM
God's Speed Tom,

LOWRIVER2
01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Rest in Peace Tom
You made my boat turn key perfect for five years and I learned a lot of the old school NJBA history from you. Thankyou for your professional and kind demeanor each and every time we talked. No other boat service shop came close to your record of having boat ready when you said it would be. You will ALWAYS be sorely missed.
Godspeed

b-rie
01-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Tommy was the biggest influence in my life although short he taught me more about boats and life than I ever thought I would now. He was the most brilliant man I could have ever worked for, more worried about disapointing him than making him mad he always pushed me to do my best! The things he has taught me I will carry for the rest of my life and will always try to my best! THANK YOU for sitting at the shop until way to late to answer my endless questions and all that I have learned! You will always be in my heart and I will NEVER forget you. Love you DOGG!!!

BUSBY
01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Tommy was the biggest influence in my life although short he taught me more about boats and life than I ever thought I would now. He was the most brilliant man I could have ever worked for, more worried about disapointing him than making him mad he always pushed me to do my best! The things he has taught me I will carry for the rest of my life and will always try to my best! THANK YOU for sitting at the shop until way to late to answer my endless questions and all that I have learned! You will always be in my heart and I will NEVER forget you. Love you DOGG!!!
Great 1st post B-Rie! You learned from one of the best!

Bottle Fed
01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm making progress on the stickers. I'm planning on the stickers being done by next week some time. Moneysuckers is sending the art work to the sticker guy (triton imaging)that i use for my high volumn orders. I found out this afternoon that a burial fund is being set up for Tommy. Tommys friends and I are doing fund raising stuff such as the stickers and the TPR calendars that I did for him this year. All proceeds are going to reimburse his mother that picked up the cost of his burial. The stickers will cost $10 each and the calendars are $20 each or 3 for $50. For those of you that may not know I have been doing calendars for Tommy for the last 4 years that feature race and river boats that he is associated to. This years 2007 calendar has over 70 pictures in it and 26 of those are large pics. Thanks for any and all help, Tommys family appreciates it.
Jeff

MiLlEr CuStOm 75
01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1962/riplz8.jpg

cyclone
01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
My job sometimes makes it difficult to determine who's really my friend and who's just hanging around hoping i'll take their picture and put it into a magazine. I'm not complaining-it just goes with the territory.
Tom Papp treated me better than any friend i've ever had, even after i left hot boat magazine. The man's smile was infectious, his sense of humor was grand and his spirit gentle. He never did have a bad thing to say about anyone as long as i've known him.
Now that he's gone I cannot imagine returning to the pits after a race and not seeing him waiting under the EZ-Up to ask me how the boat felt.
I can't imagine not spending my lunch breaks sitting on a stool in his shop talking about nothing important.
I can't believe I won't hear his favorite catch phrases anymore.
I'm not quite ready to accept the fact that the center of the boating world for myself and my group of friends is gone.
Nothing about his passing feels right or just or like it should be this way. I doubt i'll ever be the same and I miss my friend dearly.
RIP and I'll see you on the other side T.
-mike

pacman
01-04-2007, 05:34 AM
I've Been Sitting Here Reading All These Great Words Everyone Is Saying About My Friend And It Helps Me Get To Get On With The Day Taking Care Of All The Loose Ends. I Look Over In The Corner Were My Pal Used To Sit And Start To Think What Do I Do Now ,i Met Tommy In The 70's When We Were Racing Then We Lost Contact.30 Years Later I Walked Into The Shop And He About Shit, It Was Just Like No Time Had Passed. For The Passed 3 Years We Got Even Closer He Would Often Say To Me (what Now Pacilio)meaning What Kind Of Boat Are We Building Now ; I Told Him Do You Think You Are Just Going To Sit There And Bullshit On The Phone . We Would Just Laugh, We Had Great Times Together We Went From Bgj Bgh To Now Tah Its Going To Be Hard This Year To Do This With Out My Friend. The Pits Will Be Empty Without You Tommy, So Please Look Down On All Of Us,
Famos Amos Ill Never Forget You ! My Friend, My Pal, My Brother

His#1fan
01-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Reading all these posts and knowing how much he meant to each of you touches my heart even more as his sister. He was our big brother, just the guy who lived in our house growing up, who left his socks on the floor....but to each of you he was much more! I know that I have always been proud of what he has become, and what he accomplished, however after hearing the words being spoken of him and seeing the loss in each of his friends faces, I realize just how special he was. He was all the things you say........he was also stubborn, and obstinant, and tough on the outside, but a marshmallow on the inside. He was private, and kept emotions to himself(unless pushed to the limit) : )
He was caring, and funny, and when reminiscing it always brought a smile to his face! He was all those things ....and more.....but most of all "He was Tommy"!
Thank you all for being his confidant, his partner in crime, his co-worker, his employee, but most of all.....thank you for being his FRIEND!
Our family has been touched by all that he meant to you. He has left US with a big whole in our hearts. We will all miss him.....He was Tommy!
I miss you big brother.....your little sister....Laura Beth! xoxoxxo

mares98
01-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Very sorry to hear this, have always admired Toms kindness & patients. My condolences to the family.

Ken Brown
01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Tommy and his twin brother Gary and I grew up together in Hollydale. There are a million fond memories of the trouble the three of us got into growing up. We laughed, cried and fought like brothers... we drove our moms nuts and gave our dads eary gray hairs. Tommys mom was our Cub Scout Den Mother and certainly earned her merit badge for patience with three of us like Tommy, Gary and me.
Years have passed since we saw each other but I will never forget one of my best childhood friends.
I remember when Tom and Gary built their first boat when we were in our early teens! Little did I know where that little boat would lead Tommy.
Tommy... I am so sorry that life got so busy that I never caught up with you over the last few years...
Rest in peace buddy! Tell my mom, your dad and "Gramps" we all say hello....
Ken Brown

TRG
01-04-2007, 06:13 PM
On a lighter note: Ken, the other day when B-ry and i were, that days "Hang-arounds", Tommy was talking about some of the stuff you guys would get into , he always would talk about the three of you I asume this was you! (some pretty good ones too!:D )
It is a pleasure to meet you!
Todd

Jet Hydro
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Rip................

mirrorimage
01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
wish in one hand crap in the other he"d say ..now about that wish?:idea:

RIVERTIME247
01-05-2007, 04:07 PM
thanks for taken the time out to answer some of my questions!
RIP TOM

BUSBY
01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I just looked, 3,913 views (at the time of this post) ... thanks for all of your kind words and thoughts.
As you can see (by their posting up here, for some ... their first post), Tommy's family is reading your posts. I know for a fact that it means a lot to them.
Thanks for taking the time to read it and remember Tommy ... as I put together a piece for Drag Boat Review about him and speak to a lot of his long time friends, I learn a lot more about what he has done for Hot Boating in general. Today alone, I have spoken to numerous living legends who are still blown away that he has passed.
I am getting calls from far and wide with more and more information about Tommy and his tales as others are finding out about the article, it makes me happy that people are taking the time to call ... as we all know Tommy would.
Thanks again everyone.
Brian

petersonfab1
01-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I Have Been Sitting Here Reading All Of The Wonderfull Things Written About Tommy And When You Have Been Friends With Sombody For So Long And You See Or Talk To Them Everyday I Think Those Friendships Kind Of Get Takin For Granted. I Have Spent All Week Reflecting On The Past 10 Years That We Were Friends And I Have Come To Relize That Almost Every Close Friend That I Have I Met Through Tom. My Shop Was Next Door To His For 6 Years At 5:30 Every Morning We Would Sit Down With Our Coffe And Just Talk For An Hour. Since We Have Both Moved Our Shops We Havent Spent As Much Time Together Allthough Him And I Did Drive To The World Finals This Year And I Am Truelly Thankfull That I Got To Spend That Time With Him. Tom You Will Allways Be In All Of Our Hearts And None Of Our Lives Will Be The Same Without You....bottomline... I Love You My Friend.
Derek Peterson/141 Blue Thunder

Ken Brown
01-05-2007, 05:40 PM
On a lighter note: Ken, the other day when B-ry and i were, that days "Hang-arounds", Tommy was talking about some of the stuff you guys would get into , he always would talk about the three of you I asume this was you! (some pretty good ones too!:D )
It is a pleasure to meet you!
Todd
Todd... thanks so much for those words.... Just when I thought I was done getting upset about Tommy being gone you had to go and say those wonderful things... I am glad to hear that he relived our days as kids as I often do.
If only we could go back in time.... I would love to kick Tommys rear for some of the nutty stuff that kid did! He was truly a piece of work... It's great to read the posts here from those of you that knew Tommy as an adult... that is something I missed out on... looking forward to meeting many of you next week. Save a cold one for me!
Ken Brown

TRG
01-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Look me up Ken, i've got some stories that need to be validated! LOL:D

Cs19
01-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Its nice to see people logging on to say a few words about Tommy.:)
I wish I could make the Elsinore deal but I cant pull it off, lay a pass or 2 for Tommy but please be safe guys, he would want that more than anything.

Accurate Smog Of South Bay
01-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I was completely devastated when I got the news Tuesday morning. I got the honor of visiting Tom when I picked up my boat on Thursday. I was there for about four hour's bullshitting with Tom about all the good old times. He called me on Saturday and wanted me to bring down my block for his ski boat on Tuesday. On my way there I received one of the worse phone calls in my life. This boat was the fifth one that Tom has done work on for me since I met him five years ago. You know who I would call when I broke down in the middle of Lake Havasu and they would always answer the phone even on Sunday or Holidays, Tom Papp. He will never be forgotten in my life. Its going to be real hard going to the races and not seeing Tom.
Thanks Tom for everything Kenny Meyers

Jake W2
01-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I am sorry to hear about Mr Papps passing may he rest in peace.
Jake

TRUMP TIGHT
01-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I thank him for the help he gave me and wish his family well.
Justin

gforceauto
01-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Gods chariot must have needed a tuneup.. rip

4604me
01-05-2007, 10:22 PM
When I hear the name Tom Papp, I think hot boats. Just look at all the post,and you know he will be missed.God speed,Tom Papp, God speed.

BUSBY
01-06-2007, 11:59 AM
If everyone could, please visit the sticky thread at the top of the forum here about the Tom Papp Memorial Fund.
Tommy's mother is paying for the funeral, she's on a fixed income. While Tommy's shop was growing, it took a lot of $$$ to keep that shop afloat. I'm sure if it's $10, $15 or $200 ... whatever can be donated will go directly to her.
It's about $5,000 that's out there and we are far from reaching that number to put Tommy to rest. Every penny will help.
I know I don't like to air out my needs, so I hope saying this isn't out of line ... but I know that she could really use some help. Please do what you can, I know he would do the same.
Thanks,
Brian

Bottle Fed
01-06-2007, 02:59 PM
If everyone could, please visit the sticky thread at the top of the forum here about the Tom Papp Memorial Fund.
Tommy's mother is paying for the funeral, she's on a fixed income. While Tommy's shop was growing, it took a lot of $$$ to keep that shop afloat. I'm sure if it's $10, $15 or $200 ... whatever can be donated will go directly to her.
It's about $5,000 that's out there and we are far from reaching that number to put Tommy to rest. Every penny will help.
I know I don't like to air out my needs, so I hope saying this isn't out of line ... but I know that she could really use some help. Please do what you can, I know he would do the same.
Thanks,
Brian
Brian has said it like it is. I wish it was a prettier picture than it is but it's not. The $5000 for the burial stuff is just the start. Theirs also the expense of the cerimony and many other things that are hidden from us that are not working directly at the shop and with the family right now. I'm doing to stickers and directing all proseeds from the calendar sales to the fund. Sean has setup the fund cause he has that resourses available and we appreciate that he took the time to do so. I'm hoping to raise several thousand from the sticker and calendar sales alone. Anything helps right now and the family appreciates it. Thanks again for guys support.
Jeff

78Southwind
01-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I commend all you guys that are working really hard to help Tommy’s family out in their time of need.
Have you thought about not only creating 2007 calendars but also 2008? Don’t know how much interest there would be besides myself. Once the calendars and stickers are finished how do we order them?
I wish I could donate more but I just can’t afford it right now. However, I am going to put up a used set of Jet Boat Rewarder Headers for a BBC in the Spam section and all the proceeds will go to the Tom Papp Memorial Fund. Thanks again for all the hard work. RIP Tommy

boats&bars
01-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Tom helped me out on several occasions he will be missed, via con dios Tom

cyclone
01-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I commend all you guys that are working really hard to help Tommy’s family out in their time of need.
Have you thought about not only creating 2007 calendars but also 2008? Don’t know how much interest there would be besides myself. Once the calendars and stickers are finished how do we order them?
I wish I could donate more but I just can’t afford it right now. However, I am going to put up a used set of Jet Boat Rewarder Headers for a BBC in the Spam section and all the proceeds will go to the Tom Papp Memorial Fund. Thanks again for all the hard work. RIP Tommy
I think you just came up with a great idea. everyone is short on cash with the holidays just passing but everyone also has parts in their garage they could sell. I"m gonna start a new thread-sort of an auction/used parts thread. I'll check my stash and put up a part that can be bought as a donation to tommy's family.

78Southwind
01-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Mike
I was hoping this would catch on. Ask one of the Mods if we can get a sticky in the spam section.

Bottle Fed
01-07-2007, 11:23 PM
As far as for calendars, I will be continue to do Tom Papp Racing calendars (2008, 2009, etc) for years to come as my tribute to a wonderful friend that has changed my life for the better, forever. Each year the calendars get better and better. Each year i get more shots of boats he has had something to do with.I get these shots from different races through out the year and at the river too fro those of you that haven't seen one of the calendars yet. Its not only race boats that make the calendar.
Jeff

MikeC
01-08-2007, 03:25 PM
R. I. P. Jet Boat Buddy. . . . . . .
MikeC

moneysucker
01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Tom was one of those guys who would answer my questions no matter how stupid they were. Come to my pits to help me when I needed it, often bringing other big names and anyone else who may be able to figure out some of the problems I encountered. Tom never had time for himself but always had time for everyone else and never made you feel like you were being rushed or imposing on him. I learned so much from Tom and am eternally grateful for everything that he taught me. Tome will never be gone as long as we alll have learned from him and when someone asks a question and you may be able to help, Do it and think of Tom who would have done the same thing and probably gave you the knowledge to pass on to annother. Toms mark on this world is great and our loss is huge. Gods Speed Tom. You will be in good company with a lot of great boat builders. My condolences and prayers to all frineds and family.

bruleracer
01-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Saturday 10:00 am ,,Crestlawn Memorial Park 11500 Arlington ave
Riverside Ca. "ALL ARE WELCOME",from the family,,
Thanks
Brule'

bruleracer
01-11-2007, 11:27 PM
10:00 am saturday, Crestlawn Memorial Park 11500 Arlington ave
Riverside Ca. "ALL ARE WELCOME," from the family.

Bottle Fed
01-14-2007, 08:35 PM
What an awesome day it was yesterday. It was great to see the support for the family as well as the amount of people that came to say good by to our beloved friend(among many other adjetives) Tom Papp. More great news is that with the sales of stickers, calendars, other related stuff and with the donations that came to me for marianne (Toms mother) we raised over $5000 to help her with the bills that have came about. I applaud all of the contributers and I wish you all could have seen her face when we handed that to her. It was amazing. I don't know exactly what the amount will be to cover the expenses but I know we have helped alot. Lets keep up the awesome work and once again I and his family thank all of you.
Jeff

Bense468
01-15-2007, 06:25 PM
RIP TOMMY
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3549/tompapp2hw7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1135/tompapp3ml2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6364/tompappwk7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bense468
01-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Check out the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Wvs6qC2O8

revndave
01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Nice power salute to Tommy.

mirrorimage
01-15-2007, 09:46 PM
f-n right on... :D

Bense468
01-16-2007, 08:49 AM
and the rods stayed in it:D

Sweet Cruz
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
and the rods stayed in it:D
That was only 8700. We were hoping for 10k.

Bense468
01-16-2007, 06:37 PM
That was only 8700. We were hoping for 10k.
that usually happens about 5 in the morning.

Dar73
01-29-2007, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=BUSBY;2319671]We have lost one of the most important persons to the hot boating world.
Tom Papp has passed away from a heart attack.
Tommy was one of my best friends and I will miss him.
My phone started ringing off the hook in the middle of the night with the horrible news.
For those of us who knew Tommy well ... we were honored with a true friendship. Tommy was the kind of guy who would bend over backwards to help you w/ when you needed it.
One of my favorite sayings from Tommy was, "With all of the free crap I do around here, I might never get rich ... but I'll have a lot of brownie points when I get to heaven"
I'll miss you Tommy. Save me a spot in the pits up there.
Brian Busby[/QUO
I found out about Tom's passing today from Jim Wilkes. Very, very unfortunate and sad to say the least. I have a passion for boats and cars and quality work. Unfortunately, most of the people you cross will promise everything and deliever nothing. Tom was different, it was clear that he was one of the good guys. He helped me complete a restoration on a wood deck V-drive that turned out just awesome. He may be known for his ability to build pumpers, but I assure you he capabilities went far beyond. He was always a pleasure to visit and to work with. Sadly, I never expected my first forum posting to be in memoriam. Of course my thoughts are with his family.

***boateditor
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Would be nice to see ***boat step up to the plate and do a bitchen tribute to the man that has been a part of the scene for a very long time.
I am working on it.

Danhercules
01-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Check out the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Wvs6qC2O8
I cannot open it. Can someone send it to me please.
dan@saberemail.com

Classic Daycruiser
01-31-2007, 05:40 PM
A 30 second CT scan of the heart can save your life. Just do it!!
RIP Tommy

jet4fun
02-04-2007, 09:48 PM
wow, i cant believe it. i just got online for the first time in a long time... RIP Tom, and i give my best to his family