PDA

View Full Version : How to post

Snowboat
11-10-2001, 05:58 PM
How do I post on the internet? I have seen others ask this question before, but no one answered them.

superdave013
11-10-2001, 06:08 PM
OK, If you want to know how to post pics on this board or most others here goes.
Frist you need to put your pics on the internet someplace. I ues www.webshots.com. (http://www.webshots.com.) It's free and works pretty good and is real easy to use. Then pull the pic you want to use up. Right click on it and select properties. It will then show the url address. Highlight the address and copy it. Then type in past your address here with no spaces.
It will pop right up.

Snowboat
11-11-2001, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, superdave. I'll ship my gears on Tuesday, Monday is a holiday for some. Anyhow,I created a small photo album on the site you talked about and I'm going to give it a go. Thanks to all who have made the sucessful running of the blown Biesemeyer, Chaos Seven, a possibility. For photos, go to http://community.webshots.com/album/25053934rhdxkdDPmJ. Thanks Ken Mendenhall
http://f1.webshots.com/icache/co/42/15/25054215bzNynMXQexthumb.jpg/img http://f3.webshots.com/icache/co/53/1/25055301eaaAWqAOiIthumb.jpg/img
We'll see if I get a site to look at pictures and if two singles pop up.

Snowboat
11-11-2001, 02:09 PM
Well, one out of three aint' too awful bad for the first try. Any suggestions superdave?

superdave013
11-11-2001, 03:02 PM
When I clicked on the links only the frist one worked. That was the index so I got into see your pics.
Frist open the pic. I then select normal so it is the correct size.
Then right click on the pic and select properties. Highlight and copy the address.
Now what you didn't do was to add the address
Sweet looking boat! I'll let youu post the rest!
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/021/6D/pX/sP/xa12144.jpg

Snowboat
11-11-2001, 03:15 PM
Another try.http://wsphotofews.excite.com/019/4f/qm/Ry/x573972.jpg/img

superdave013
11-11-2001, 03:47 PM
needs to go before the address.
and at the end your /img is missing the [ ]
it sould look like
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/019/4f/qm/Ry/x573972.jpg

11-11-2001, 09:05 PM
Great looking boat!

Stab-n-Steer
11-12-2001, 01:50 PM
SuperDave,
Thanks for the tips, here is my first attempt... a couple more crackers.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/021/Nf/o9/9Y/bf23896.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/020/6J/5s/u5/be13597.jpg

superdave013
11-12-2001, 02:16 PM
Great pics! Keep those cracker pics comming! I love seeing old race boat pics!
Do you mind if I post them on another site?

Stab-n-Steer
11-12-2001, 06:01 PM
SuperDave,
Go ahead, I got them from the APBA region 11 website... Here are a couple more very cool race pix, one from the IHBA site and from Super Stock Racing...
http://www.ihbaracing.com/raceresults/2001/01_07_01_TexasShootout/tedesco_greg.jpg
http://www.superstockracing.com/photos/boats/ss225%20full.jpg

Costello
11-13-2001, 09:48 PM
Stab, I do quite a bit of work for the Fuel boat you featured there and the owner/driver is a friend of mine. They went 5.10 @ 235 mph at Phoenix last week with a single prop.

Stab-n-Steer
11-14-2001, 07:53 AM
Costello,
Greg has been on a roll the last two years. However,I think the single screw boats are a thing of the past. I can't believe what Wildside ran at Firebird - 245 at 4.77! Amazing. Now I hear that Dwayne and Wildside may not be back next year...The twin screw concept is not new. I remember as a kid in the sixties someone tried it. I can't remember the boat's name for sure but it might have been "White Mist". I was sorry to miss the World Finals this year but I guess the weather was really screwed up.
Randy

old rigger
11-14-2001, 08:32 AM
Stabandsteer,
You are correct. Sanger Jack Davidson in 1961 built White Mist IV with a twin screw (W-drive) set up that he designed, using Hallcraft gears, final drive being 28 percent overdrive. Hot Rod mag did a feature on the boat when new in '61, I have a copy of it and wish I had a scanner to post the article. Beautiful glass over wood hydro hull. He ran a 465 blown Chrysler.
In another article of the same issue, there is a feature on the boat drags at Marine Stadium. Top speed of the day being run by Bob Ellis in a Rayson craft again running a supercharger Chrysler. 132.93. A week before, Ellis made a run of 156 in a kilo run but broke before a back up run could establish a record. White Mist IV ran a 111, still working out the bugs. They said the rooster tail from the twin prop set up was comparable to a Unlimited Hydro's.
It's hard to remember, like 058 said before, but Hot Rod mag. use to do alot of boat stuff in their publication. Boat Drags, Salton Sea 500, Parker, they covered it all as well as a feature now and then on a nice boat.
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited November 14, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited November 14, 2001).]

Costello
11-14-2001, 10:03 AM
Stab, Greg has a Casale twin prop drive system as well as two hulls with the 30" stringers ready to go. Yes single props are a thing of the past. I really think that Shannon and Greg have demonstrated that the small hulls (small Kurtis and Deaver respectively) are the fast ticket with single props. Sure the small Kurtis was "on crash" many times, but so have been the large boats with single props especially on the shutdown (i.e.Watercraf/big Kurtis). I think when we see the Deaver with twin screws making the kind of power that Noice has been making in Greg's boat this year, we will see some very low e.t.s and much higher mph than 245 as Dwayne just did. I could be wrong, but I think it's pretty clear to see when the Deaver has made 2 safe passes at 235-236 mph this year with one prop, the writing is on the wall. I believe also around 1967-68 the Hemi Engineering twin prop deal was developed. It has been said that Jim Faulkerson's "W-Drive" system is an improved version of this same basic design.

Stab-n-Steer
11-14-2001, 06:09 PM
Old Rig,
What month Hot Rod was that in '61? I have a bunch of old HR's from the 50's and 60's. I go to swap meets and always look for old issues that feature anything about boats. I have a bunch of my dad's old boat mags from the 60's as well...
Randy

Stab-n-Steer
11-14-2001, 06:21 PM
Costello,
Unfortunately I did not have as much time to follow the IHBA this year as in the past. What the heck happened to Shannon Stewart? He was the man a few years ago. Did he crash or run out of money? The last time I saw him run was in the World finals against Bracksma in '99. Twin 5.16's in the dark! Probably the most awesome final in Drag boat history!
Wildside raised the bar - bigtime - this year. The potential of what the 2x prop boats can run is frightning! The sport has been stalled at 230 for almost 20 years. Eddie Hill ran a 229 about that long ago and the Alky boys are now pushing 230...
Next year is going to be very interesting. Are there any Alcohol boats going to twin screws?
Randy

old rigger
11-14-2001, 06:44 PM
Stab&Steer,
September 1961. Has a pic of the Mooneyes dragster on the cover. Lower right corner "Drag Boats hit 130"
I use to have an issue with Howard Browns "How 'Bout that" on the cover. Sometime around '66 I think. I was told by him in later years that that was the only issue of Hot Rod that featured only a boat on the cover. Usually if there is a boat there they would stick a car on ther too.
Another good issue is Sept of '59. 10 or 12 good pages of old flatties, including a beautiful all-birch Wickens Whirlwind. Ed Keuhn was running a 365 Caddy and a 4-71 huffer in it. 96mph and change. I'd give my right nut to have that boat. It reminds me so much of my dads first boat, it hurts.
It's amazing how hard those guys ran in '59. A guy in a Belmont named 'Golden Commode'
running a blown Hemi...110.77. A Sanger with Hemi 110.56. Rudy Ramos in one of his first glass hulls runs right at 100. Be cool to have anyone of them now.
Hows that Beezer comming?

11-14-2001, 08:31 PM
I still have almost all HRMs starting from 62 or 63. [I don't throw anything away....I am king of the pack rats] I'll dig 'em out and take a look if I find anything worthwhile I'll let you guys know. Someone will have to scan as my scanner is toast. Stab & steer can you scan pics/articles? I'm only about 20 miles from you [Hayward] Thanks, Bob
[This message has been edited by 058 (edited November 14, 2001).]

Costello
11-15-2001, 08:39 AM
Stab, Shannon was GOOD for the sport in my opinion. He had a new paint shceme and shirt every year, was good with the kids, had Amos on the tuning and had a solid record setting program. Yes he crashed at WF 2000 which was rained out. Then he came back 2 weeks later with another small Kurtis and went like 5.64 or so right out of the box. Apparently he has gone through a few personal issues over the winter, but he came out to Firebird with a scaled down operation and ran OK. Then he showed up for the national at Ming a week later and got pissed and threw a soda in Ken Dollar's face. They banned him for 90 days. We have not seen him since unfortunately. Yes the twin 5.16's was a badass final in 99 with he and Ron. Since then Dwayne and Greg went 5.11 232 and 5.17 236 side by side in Marble Falls to be the quickest and fastest side by side ever. Yes twin props are going to be like rear engine dragsters, they will be the standard fare. As for TAH yes Andy Reynolds' PARENTAL DISCRETION ADVISED has made the announcement and just couldn't finish it before the finals. Also I look for Gone Haywire to go that route as Kenn Maas the crew cheif and I have talked about it at length. There will be others also. I was contacted by a PE team out of Texas who are building a proprietary twin drive for their TAH. It's great and exciting stuff. Better yet, I hear buzz about some TAF's trying twin props. Jim Faulkerson told me his system will work well with a flat and in fact because of the adjustable thrust angle feature on his drive, a Flatbottom WILL NO LONGER NEED ANY CAV PLATES!!!!!! Working on a TAF team, I think this is the thing that interests me the most about twin props right now. Old Rigger, unfortunately too much of the nostalgia of drag boat racing is being lost and not preserved. Randy's www.dragboats.com (http://www.dragboats.com) advertises the old photos of Clyde Parkhurst, but trying to collect even a small portion of them is a costly affair. I am good friends with Randy, I would like to see he and Clyde build a site like www.wediditforlove.com (http://www.wediditforlove.com) which is a nostalgia asphalt site wherin the history of the drag racing game is preserved and there for all to enjoy. I have talked with a few people about doing a comprehensive table top book on the evolution of drag boat racing, but few seem interested. There are a few around who could do it. In another 20 years these legends will be all but gone. Maybe I'll put the bug in Mettler's ear he's one I have not talked with about it.

old rigger
11-15-2001, 09:00 AM
Costello,
I think a book is a great idea. I'll tell you who would be good to talk to about a project like this is Bob Brown. He's been around forever, he's a writer, he used to race and, hopefully, he has access to all the articles and photos he done over the years. The hot rod thing now has dozens of books that have documented the hobby from the 20's and 30's through the 60's and 70's. Alot of them are done with photos that were taken by the average work a day kind of guy. I would have to think that the same could be done, along with interviews, to the early boating thing. There are already a few books that cover the early,early, wooden hull era, but they stop in the immediate post war time. You're right, much more time passes and there wont be anyone left to interview.

Stab-n-Steer
11-15-2001, 11:21 AM
Costello,
Thanks for the scoop on Shannon. He was Mr. personality alright and I agree that he was good for the sport. He was sort of the Jeff Gordon of Boat Drags. It's a shame he is staying away. Does anyone talk to him?
I know what you mean about the Parkhurst photo's. I have bought a few but they are pricey... A book would be great. Even a coffee table picture book would be great so guys like us could afford to have a piece of history. So many of those pictures were taken in Oakland which was my stomping grounds...
Randy

Stab-n-Steer
11-15-2001, 07:33 PM
Hayward huh... I drive through Hayward almost everyday. I can scan the articles. I went and dug up some of my old Hot Rods and there are some really cool articles about boats. One from August '58. Shows Rudy Ramos going 97.71 MPH in a Mandella! One from from Sept. '59 showing a blown chrysler going 108 mph in a Crackerbox! I will be glad to copy these and mail them to anyone that's interested.
Randy

superdave013
11-15-2001, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer:
Hayward huh... I drive through Hayward almost everyday. I can scan the articles. I went and dug up some of my old Hot Rods and there are some really cool articles about boats. One from August '58. Shows Rudy Ramos going 97.71 MPH in a Mandella! One from from Sept. '59 showing a blown chrysler going 108 mph in a Crackerbox! I will be glad to copy these and mail them to anyone that's interested.
Randy
I've got a better idea. If you don't mind scaning some of those old articles I would love to have some of them. I eat that old stuff up! Also I have a friend that's putting up a web page for old boat stuff like that and is looking for more info.

11-16-2001, 09:06 AM
Randy, It seems there are more people here that are interested in this stuff. I can get another scanner and post the articles I find. Perhaps we can post them to a website where they will be all together and accessable to anyone. SuperDave's suggestion about his friend's website sounds ideal but would anyone be able to post there or would it have to be posted thru the moderator? I haven't got to my old HRMs yet as they are buried out in the shop somewhere, one of those rainy day projects.

old rigger
11-16-2001, 09:48 AM
I think this sounds like a pretty cool idea too. I have 4 or 5 old issues of 'Speed and Spray' from the mid 50's, and I might be able to get my hands on some more. Old friend, who raced back then, had a large collection of 50's boat stuff. I'm afraid his wife dumped it all when he passed away. I will give her a call and see, if nothing else, if she'll let me borrow them.
Just need a scanner.

superdave013
11-16-2001, 10:21 AM
Old Rigger, If you get a bunch of that stuff I will buy a scanner. Here's something to get ya going!
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/019/pD/ZZ/TA/UB49930.jpg

old rigger
11-16-2001, 12:52 PM
SuperDave,
How are you posting the pics that you've been posting. Are you taking a digital picture of them, or scanning them somewhere else?
I have a dig. camera, but thought the image would not be as good a scanning. Am I correct in thinking this?

superdave013
11-16-2001, 12:58 PM
The above pic was scanned by a buddy. It looks just as good as the original.
This pic is a very sharp, crisp pic and I took a pic of it with my digi cam. As you can see a scan would have been much better.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/As/Ed/gM/7U50133.jpg

Costello
11-16-2001, 01:47 PM
Stab N Steer, a couple of the TFH guys call me on a pretty regular basis, and nobody really knows what is up with Mr. Stewart. He does still have all of his stuff, so maybe he'll get it together and come back out next year.

Stab-n-Steer
11-16-2001, 05:01 PM
058, SuperDave, Old Rig,
I will scan what I have from the HR mags. Really cool articles, talk about Fred Wickens, Rudy Ramos, Rich Hallet,etc. Lots of pictures. We can then figure a place to post them... For those that don't have scanners, Kinko's is pretty inexpensive and is open 24 hours. I probably won't get them scanned 'till Monday. My daughter is home from college so I am going to spend time with her this weekend but I promise to get them done.
Randy
[This message has been edited by Stab-n-Steer (edited November 16, 2001).]

superdave013
11-16-2001, 05:25 PM
Posting the pics is easy. Go to webshots.com and sign up. It's free and all you have to do is to upload you photos and I'll show you the codes to post them here.
A few years ago I was at Rudys shop and he had a big box of photos. There was some neat stuff in there. I should swing by and see if I could get some stuff to scan too.

old rigger
11-16-2001, 05:27 PM
Sdave, can you use that webshots.com to post pictures to sell stuff on e-bay too?

superdave013
11-16-2001, 06:46 PM
Yep, I would think so. I use it to post pics oll over the net.