PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft X-80 feedback

hasselhoff
01-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have experience with an X-80? My brother is looking at getting either the X-80 or X-45 and needs feedback on Wake for surfing, or wakeboarding. Hows the fuel economy, any motor issues, or anything else he should know before buying?

Cole Sanger
01-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I have no personnal experience, but I will say that the X-80 looks awesome. I can't afford a $100+ wakeboard boat, but If I could, that would be the one I got. The only thing I don't like, and this goes for most wakeboard boats, is the tiny barly noticable bimini. I have a 26.6ft Crownline that I have added a tower to, and I use two 8ft bimini's. The Arizona heat kills. Tell him good luck with whatever he ends up with. From what I have seen of both (purely on the internet), they are both pretty cool.

beaverretriever
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
X-80 is not a good wake board boat. It runs two engines so Perfect Pass is not an option (at least the last time I looked). Its just too big. I would stick with the Xstar if I were you. I personally like the Moombas or Supras for a good boat. The cost is less and you get a lot more. BTW, Moombas and Supras both run Indmar engines, the same with MC. I had a Moomba and loved it.
Good luck.

rrrr
01-06-2007, 09:43 PM
A boat that big will be a pain for watersports. We bought a 26.5' Chapparral to upgrade from the 24'. It just doesn't work as well overall for skiing, tubing, and boarding. Almost impossible to parasail and land the rider on the island in our lake, just not responsive enough because of the size. We are talking about trading it in for a smaller boat.
One of my brothers has a an X-45, he says it's agreat ski/wakeboard boat. Get the X-45, you'll be happier.

Sane Asylum
01-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Malibu 25 VLX if he's in the $75K (or over range)......You can get it with Indmars version of the 496HO.....It's a nice package......

Trailer Park Casanova
01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Mastercraft is questionable resale value always.
A crapshoot. You can really take a $$ beating with one.
Especially the higher costing models.
I have a twin engine boat with Perfect Pass and it's a bit tricky to run.
It actually controls one engine and the other is run manually at about 30%.
Ya get the hang of it.
Ya want Perfect Pass.
Natiques, Malibu, Tige', Supra ( formerly AKA Launch ) seem to hold their resale value and buyer desire.
That is, more desireable brands with a deep customer pool in the used market.
Mastercraft seems to be a tough re-sale.

mbrown2
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Mastercraft is questionable resale value always.
A crapshoot. You can really take a $$ beating with one.
Especially the higher costing models.
I have a twin engine boat with Perfect Pass and it's a bit tricky to run.
It actually controls one engine and the other is run manually at about 30%.
Ya get the hang of it.
Ya want Perfect Pass.
Natiques, Malibu, Tige', Supra ( formerly AKA Launch ) seem to hold their resale value and buyer desire.
That is, more desireable brands with a deep customer pool in the used market.
Mastercraft seems to be a tough re-sale.
I would disagree...X Stars, X 45 that are 2 years old are holding their value to same drop % as Malibu and Nautique...I think Mastercraft have really stepped it up and come up with very new innovative and more functional designs...Nautique keeps making boats that are too small....Malibu needs updated styling (I have one), and Tige new's pickle is the only new thing from them other then graphics in the last couple years...

Trailer Park Casanova
01-09-2007, 03:53 AM
I would disagree...X Stars, X 45 that are 2 years old are holding their value to same drop % as Malibu and Nautique...I think Mastercraft have really stepped it up and come up with very new innovative and more functional designs...Nautique keeps making boats that are too small....Malibu needs updated styling (I have one), and Tige new's pickle is the only new thing from them other then graphics in the last couple years...
What they ask for $$ and what the in fact they close $$ for are quite different from the owners we know.
In the circles I run Mastercraft is considered a Bayliner.
The biggest gripe, and if you watch them pass, is the driver has to stand up to see over the bow when in tow.

roln 20s
01-12-2007, 11:22 PM
The X80 is way too big for anything more than recreational boarding IMO -- its just too big. Out of the options mentioned, the X45 would be the way to go. Much more practical, and if we talk resale, you have a boat and size that will be in demand for years to come. Resale on any of these $70K wakeboats depends on the deal you get. I know many people that have broken even on their purchases after a few years, and know others that have lost $10-$15K-- just depends on the purchase price, market and what options you put on. I learned to ski/wakeboard behind a 1994 Mastercraft 205 and my family has had a Malibu Echelon boat since 1995. I absolutely love Malibus and feel they are one of the BEST of any boat built-- truely great boats. Again, for your bro's sake- the X45 would be much better IMO, but if he isn't sold on a Mastercraft, definitely look at Malibu. Tige is owned by a former VP of Malibu and I agree with MBrown on Nautique, too small and I have never liked them personally, but they are nice boats.
Good luck on the purchase.
Roln 20s

Speedin' Ian
01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
In the circles I run Mastercraft is considered a Bayliner.:sqeyes:
You have got to be kidding me!! What circle are you running in, and what type of boats do you guys have? Mastercraft has always been , and will remain, one of the best tournament boats built. I grew up water skiing competitively, working at ski schools, and doing demo days and I can safely say I have skied behind almost every single boat. We currently own an old Mastercraft and a newer Tige and I can tell you the Mastercraft is holding up a lot better and it is 15yrs older.
Most of the new boats are pretty good, but I would say Mastercraft, Malibu (Malibu didn't start building great boats until the Echelon) and Nautique are still leading the way as far as build quality. The X-80 may be a little big for recreational watersports but it is no Bayliner. I am

blown65
01-22-2007, 09:12 PM
boatshow.
Twin engines 1200hp
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/402993.jpg
Little much for wakeboarding. lol HANG ON!!

mbrown2
01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
In the circles I run Mastercraft is considered a Bayliner.
LOL...well if you run around in a Sea Doo boat I guess a Bayliner would be considered a big step up :)....as is a Mastercraft would be to most of the other Wakeboard boat brands...
I have driven a couple newer nautiques, BU's, Tige's and MC's....MC has definitely come around....the X45 will be my next boat.

mbrown2
01-22-2007, 09:22 PM
boatshow.
Twin engines 1200hp
Little much for wakeboarding. lol HANG ON!!
That's just friggen crazy......cool and probably over the top but crazy...:)

Cole Sanger
01-23-2007, 12:30 AM
The x-star is number one ranked by WaterSki mag and WakeBoarding mag for wakeboarding/advanced wakeboarding/family boating. Both magazines say the x-80 is still awesome. The x-45 is right up there with the x-star. All have good reviews for wakeboarding.

buddude8
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
:confused: how can you call this a bayliner.

Grinnin'B
01-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Tell your brother he's gotta check out the Nautique 236 Team http://www.correctcraft.com/OurBoats/Crossover/236.aspx
IHO the best possible option for versatility, quality, and feel. Great wakeboard, great ski (in the course @28 off) Great performance, and good room. I also agree the X80 is too large for practical in water(board/ski/tube) use, and c'mon 1200hp in a dispacement hull. hmmmmmm gotta scratch my head.
B