PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a second job

dimarcobros
01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Do any of you have two jobs? In order to accomplish my goal of buying a place by the end of 2007 I need to find addtional income for 6 months or so. I work from 8:30 to 4:30 so I think my options are limited as to what I can do. I am trying to stay away from the restaurant industry but I think with the hours I work I don't have an option. Anyone have two jobs? What are the pros and cons? Any ideas on what I can do from 5 pm to whenever????
Thanks,
DMB

Jbb
01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Do any of you have two jobs?
Thanks,
DMB
:D

NOTALENT
01-02-2007, 06:13 PM
UPS....I have an interview next week.....:D They have various shifts availible...I need some extra money too...;)

Tom Brown
01-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Brian has more jobs than Ratso has ex-wives.

SummitKarl
01-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Holly Insomnia Bat Man:D

Devil's Advocate
01-02-2007, 06:22 PM
:D

Jbb
01-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Sad but true....:jawdrop:

Tom Brown
01-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Sad but true....:jawdrop:
... and you still manage to find time to post on ***boat 23 hours and 55 minutes per day so I can't fault you for wanting to pick up a couple of extra bucks. :cool:

dimarcobros
01-02-2007, 06:26 PM
UPS....I have an interview next week.....:D They have various shifts availible...I need some extra money too...;)
What position are you interviewing for?

Jbb
01-02-2007, 06:26 PM
... and you still manage to find time to post on ***boat 23 hours and 55 minutes per day so I can't fault you for wanting to pick up a couple of extra bucks. :cool:
Part of my expectations from a prospective employer....is ample net time.....the carnival has no issues with it...:D

NOTALENT
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
What position are you interviewing for?
The dude who loads the trucks....im not saying the name of it.....although I now know its going to get some smart remarks...:rolleyes: :D
They have alot of positions availible...starts at $ 9.50 Hr part time....going to be hard to work for that type of money again, but its just for a few months.

dimarcobros
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
The dude who loads the trucks....im not saying the name of it.....although I now know its going to get some smart remarks...:rolleyes: :D
What's the pay range?

NOTALENT
01-02-2007, 06:34 PM
What's the pay range?
9-10 an hour for that...

Tom Brown
01-02-2007, 06:34 PM
They have alot of positions availible...
When you step into the room for the interview, slam the door behind you. When you break the clipboard by slamming it on your leg as hard as you can, mention it's a sad excuse for a clipboard, clearly underbuilt and that you can't be responsible for a piece of shit like that. They'll send you straight to HR to set up your employment information.

dumbandyoung
01-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Do any of you have two jobs? In order to accomplish my goal of buying a place by the end of 2007 I need to find addtional income for 6 months or so. I work from 8:30 to 4:30 so I think my options are limited as to what I can do. I am trying to stay away from the restaurant industry but I think with the hours I work I don't have an option. Anyone have two jobs? What are the pros and cons? Any ideas on what I can do from 5 pm to whenever????
Thanks,
DMB
you can always sell Mary Kay
where are you trying to buy a house?

JB in so cal
01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Home Depot. There's somone in every store pretty much alhours of the day.

BALLSDEEP
01-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks,
DMB
I worked 2 jobs for 6 years. 1 fulltime from 7-4 then at UPS unloading package cars, loading out bound trailers and delivering at night. The money is good, but you get raped on taxes. In the long run, I ended up owing Uncle Sam more money and it wasn’t worth it. UPS was a hard company to work for, they kind of treat you like shit. You work full time for 8 hours at 1 job then you go into UPS and work until everything is done. When I worked there, I wanted to bust my ass and get out because I was tired from already working 1 job. The harder you worked the more they gave you. It’s a union run company and many of the employees follow the union rulebook, eventually it got pretty frustrating for me. If you can deal with that then you should be okay.

Flyinbowtie
01-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't know what your primary job is, but many public sector jobs have restrictions on employees taking on second jobs. I had a couple of opportunities many years ago to sneak into some part time work, and my boss
(Sheriff) looked at the position, & said no. It wasn't a conflict of interest, but with the benefit of hindsight, I understand why.
Any chance you can go into the self-employed mode part time? That might be a way to go.

dimarcobros
01-02-2007, 07:16 PM
you can always sell Mary Kay
where are you trying to buy a house?
Not sure yet, probably some where between Costa Mesa and Aliso Viejo.....which is a pretty big range.

phebus
01-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking of getting a first job.
OK, I;m done........beer me :D

dimarcobros
01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I worked 2 jobs for 6 years. 1 fulltime from 7-4 then at UPS unloading package cars, loading out bound trailers and delivering at night. The money is good, but you get raped on taxes. In the long run, I ended up owing Uncle Sam more money and it wasn’t worth it. UPS was a hard company to work for, they kind of treat you like shit. You work full time for 8 hours at 1 job then you go into UPS and work until everything is done. When I worked there, I wanted to bust my ass and get out because I was tired from already working 1 job. The harder you worked the more they gave you. It’s a union run company and many of the employees follow the union rulebook, eventually it got pretty frustrating for me. If you can deal with that then you should be okay.
Thanks for the info.

Flyinbowtie
01-02-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm with you, bud...

bchbum
01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Try your local goverment , they hire people part-time (non- career) for many different jobs . These are no benefits & not over1600 hours a year . You might help in the auto maintence , driving supplys , or even mopping floors.

RT21
01-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Do a search on the forums. I remember awhile back some guy had a second job that paid 100k. Something about boat salvage or something.

came along during the sunk boat thread
01-02-2007, 10:53 PM
comedy gold

BRSTQUEST
01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I think yellowboat is looking for some new workers...He had some that drank on the job and can't fire them, sounds like the perfect job for me also

2Driver
01-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Ditto that, except I'm not to the point of thinking about it yet :D :D :D

Boozer
01-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Before taking on a second job talk to a tax accountant and figure out if it is even going to be worthwhile. A few years back I took on a second job and at year end it wound up costing me more in taxes then I made at the second job.
Also, keep in mind that when you purchase a home your taxable income decreases dramatically so you may be able to come up with the extra money you need by just changing your current withholding status.
I STRONGLY ADVISE the tax accountant. Even if it costs you a little money now it could end up saving you thousands down the road.

a catered life
01-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Before taking on a second job talk to a tax accountant and figure out if it is even going to be worthwhile. A few years back I took on a second job and at year end it wound up costing me more in taxes then I made at the second job.
Also, keep in mind that when you purchase a home your taxable income decreases dramatically so you may be able to come up with the extra money you need by just changing your current withholding status.
I STRONGLY ADVISE the tax accountant. Even if it costs you a little money now it could end up saving you thousands down the road.
while this is great info think about this also
if you only want a second job to get a house (?) and you only want the second job for 6 months can your first job pay for the life you really want....you might want to consider a better first job....generally you get a second job to get you out of overspendng binds or to purchase a toy or two.....dont get your self into something you could take a chance on losing later...good luck

djunkie
01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what this word "job" means. Seems to be used a lot with the word "work". :crossx: :crossx:

OKIE-JET
01-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what this word "job" means. Seems to be used a lot with the word "work". :crossx: :crossx:
Yeah...me too.

bwillieb
01-03-2007, 04:50 PM
...............A what?............