PDA

View Full Version : Wells Fargo Bank Issue

RitcheyRch
01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Found out yesterday that Wells Fargo Bank release all of my bank information to my ex-wife. She apparently went in there and asked for the info and they gave it to her. I have all my accounts password protected so this should not have happened under any circumstances.
Does anyone know if I should file a police report or should I just contact my attorney and go after the biotch?

dumbandyoung
01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
dont bank with them..
check this out.. i had more problems with them than you can imagine.
i had someone steal my atm card and use it up for 3 tanks of gas and cigarettes at 711. the purchases where all made in 70 miles from where i live.. took me 6 months to get my money back.
my aunt went there last week to withdrawal 1k out in cash. well she goes to he other bank to deposit the money well her other bank says 400 of this is counterfeit. so she goes back and well fargo says sorry charley.

RitcheyRch
01-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Other than this have always had good service with them.

phebus
01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
What they did was wrong by releasing confidential information, but unless you suffered some type of damge by it, I doubt that there is anything you could go after.
The bank manager should be notified though, so this type of thing doesn't happen again.
Now, if you did suffer some type of damage, I would have my attorney contact their legal department.

Flyinbowtie
01-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I essentially agree with phebus. You are divorced; she has no right to access your account info. The bank manager needs to get a written coomplaint from you, and the complaint needs to be specific about what happened, how you found out about it, and what the bank intends to do to see to it it doesn't happen again. Ask for the ajudication of the complaint, if you don't, they won't volunteer it.
cc the above letter to your attorney.
If you still retaining an attorney to handle some portion of the case, it is great evidence of decit and poor character on her part, for whatever that is worth.
In the event she takes action to aquire your funds, or profit in some other way using the information she was improperly given, and succeeds, then you have a theft by fraudulent means.
Gettting the local police to jump on it might be tough, tho.

C-2
01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
You sure they "released" it, or was it obtained thru a subpoena or levy? Banks have gotten ball-buster strict with info they release, can you elaborate on the circumstances leading to the disclosure?
Your accounts were no longer joint tenant accounts (jointly owned), right?

roostwear
01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm sure you and your ex signed a signature card when you opened or modified the accounts. If you didn't change it after you were divorced... shame on you. How is a bank supposed to know someone doesn't have access anymore if you don't inform them? If you DID change the ccount info after the divorce, you may have a gripe, but just open new accounts and move on. As I remember, I had to bring in the divorce decree to get my ex off joint accounts.

RitcheyRch
01-02-2007, 08:20 PM
My ex-wife is not on my signature card as all these accounts were opened after the divorce in 1995. The ex-wife was asking me about my Daughters CD accountso she can get my Daughters taces done and proceeded to tell me in an e-mail that she went to the bank and asked for the CD account balance and they gave her the info. I'm not sure what other information was given other than my Daughters CD balance which is none of her business since is my account for my Daughter. I'm just worried that other personal info from my other accounts might have been given to her.
FYI- I am the custodial parent of my Daughter. Her Mother gets some visitation.

C-2
01-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Hmmm..that's a tough one.
You sure you getting the entire story?
I'm having a hard time believing your ex walked in off the street, asked for the goods and received them. What's your daughter saying aboyut the whole dealio?

RitcheyRch
01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I had a hard time believing it as well until the bank teller admitted it to me this afternoon. The ex-wife also banks at Wells Fargo. It sounds like she went there and said she wanted to check on the balance of a CD but didnt have the account number. When they entered my Daughter's SSN all of her accounts came up on the screen and thats when they told her the balance. If the bank teller had clicked on the account it would have shown that the account was in my name and wouldnt have given her the info. The branch manager is now telling me that I will have to flag all of my accounts to say "Do not release info to__________" and list the ex-wifes name. I find it odd that with all the cases of identity theft and fraud that I have to go through these hassles to keep my info safe from the ex-wife.
I'm having a hard time believing your ex walked in off the street, asked for the goods and received them. What's your daughter saying aboyut the whole dealio?

Jrocket
01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I agree.

C-2
01-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I had a hard time believing it as well until the bank teller admitted it to me this afternoon.
As a member of ACFE (fraud examiner) and licensed PI for nearly twenty years - I gotta tell ya, there's more to the story. If banks rolled over that easy, I would have retired 19 3/4 years ago, a wealthy man I might add.
Seriously, if what you say is true - then you have one helluva lawsuit against Wells.

RitcheyRch
01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm being perfectly honest. The branch manager of my local bank was shocked when came in and told him what had happened and showed him the e-mail from my ex-wife where she admits going into the bank and getting this info. One of the personal bankers told me today that in their opinion they can give this info out as long as the person asking has approval by anyone of the account holders. Basically, they saying that as long as my Daughter told her Mother it was ok to get this info than they are in the right. My Daughter was not with her Mother last week when this happened. She was with me the entire week so there would have been no way for her to approve of this. My Daughter thinks it is perfectly acceptable for her Mother to do the things she does because thats her Mother and she does no wrong in her eyes.
What type of attorney would I even get for this type of case? Most likely will be filing a formal complaint with the bank tomorrow after I talk with the branch manager again after he does some investigating of his own.
As a member of ACFE (fraud examiner) and licensed PI for nearly twenty years - I gotta tell ya, there's more to the story. If banks rolled over that easy, I would have retired 19 3/4 years ago, a wealthy man I might add.
Seriously, if what you say is true - then you have one helluva lawsuit against Wells.

C-2
01-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm being perfectly honest.
I'm not questioning your honesty or your story Rich, I should have prefaced my statments with that disclaimer. ;)
I am wondering what the dialog/understanding was between your daughter/your ex/and the teller, that's why I say there's gotta be more to the story. Your daughter is key, and this type of thing can spiral out of control quickly, so don't do or ask anything hastily.
Maybe speak with the manager, and then speak with their security department independent of that. You better believe if they fawked up, they're not gonna tell you, or at least try to downplay any wrongdoing.
Like I said, tough one. Who is at fault, your x-wife, the teller, or will it all be swept under the rug as one big misunderstanding?
Let me run this by some colleagues, see what they say. I'll also retract my statement about one helluva lawsuit - suing any bank is never an easy task.
Interesting for sure.

Rexone
01-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Also if your daughter gets caught in the crossfire of a lawsuit that might make it all not worthwhile or wise. I'd work on solving the security issue with Wells or just change banks. Much cheaper than suing also. IMO a suit would be tough and expensive and you'd likely have to prove actually damages occurred from the security breach to win.

shueman
01-02-2007, 10:56 PM
A bank should not / will not release any information on an account to a person who's name is NOT on the account....believe me, I've tried...:eek:
Something's fishy.....

Rexone
01-02-2007, 11:00 PM
A bank should not / will not release any information on an account to a person who's name is NOT on the account....believe me, I've tried...:eek:
Something's fishy.....
That's been my experience as well. I think the teller just f'ed up.

YeLLowBoaT
01-02-2007, 11:23 PM
I would be leaveing with a check for accounts balance... and they better not give me any shit about paying for the checks.

RitcheyRch
01-03-2007, 05:34 AM
The bank manager did tell me that the teller screwed up and he did apologize for it. This happened once before when was going through my nasty divorce and that's why I put passwords on all my accounts. Obviously they didn't help this time.
Supposedly the ex-wife went in there to see how much interest was earned on the account so she file my Daughters income taxes for 2006. She claims she went to the teller and asked them how much was in the CD and they told her. What bothers me as well is that I will be getting a statement from the bank before the end of the month and it would have all the info she wanted.
I'm not out to sue the bank. I just want them to know that what they did is wrong and don't want it to happen again. I also wouldn't mind figuring out a way to keep the ex-wife from doing this stuff again.
I am pretty sure they didn't give her any info on my bank accounts but still don't like her meddling in my personal finances.
Many years ago I was unemployed for a few months from McDonnell Douglas/Boeing in Long Beach and she called the EDD to verifymy status with them claiming she was my wife. I had to file a complain on that as well.
I hate having to constantly protect myself from this woman and need it to stop.
Wondering if legal action against her would end the madness although no idea what type of attorney would be needed for this. The only attorney I know what would love to go after her is my Divorce Attorney.
Any other ideas for me? Thanks for reading and helping.

ratso
01-03-2007, 01:24 PM
That's been my experience as well. I think the teller just f'ed up.
Maybe she's friends with the teller...http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

topless
01-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Something's fishy.....Yes a bank will. When My ex left me with 2 babies at home for his new bimbo, I went to our bank the next day to open a seperate account. I was going to take half of what was in our checking account. I took 100 and left him the rest. His father and my parents each gave me 500 so I could at least pay rent and buy food. (not to mention the bill collectors calling me)
When he found out I took money from our account he went to the bank. He was able to find out when I opened the account and knew my balance as well. He also had the nerve to tell me the money fom our parents was for him and his bills. I was soooooo pissed off but I did have a security code put on the account after that. I'm sure security is tighter now because that was 14 years ago.

Dave C
01-03-2007, 02:22 PM
1) tell WFB to kiss your ass
2) move your accounts to another bank. Put a password on each account and forget to tell everyone where you bank. :D
thats a bunch of bologna... if they told me that I would have tore them a new ass hole. I would have told them to kiss both sides of my arse.
They are supposed to keep that information confidential. I would have told them they obviously aren't up to the task so I will move elsewhere. I also would have told that idiot that I didn't put that password on the accounts for my health because the password is there for a reason. dumb-shits!!!!
Also I would ask the new bank how they would protect my privacy from this menace.

totenhosen
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Move your accounts to another bank. He'll the bank I work for has a branch out in Santa Clarita and I'll make sure that crap doesn't happen. The teller would have been immediately fired or placed on probation.