PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket vehicle warranty insurance...

Froggystyle
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Anyone do it on here? I got a lead from the Porsche dealer for an outfit called Universal Underwriters for the Cayenne, but before I got serious I thought I would come on here and see if we have any insurance ninjas in the woodwork...
Bueller? Bueller?

centerhill condor
01-03-2007, 12:52 PM
you bought two of those, right? the laffer curve.

CBadDad
01-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Why bother? Those assholes spend half of their time trying to sell you the warrenty and the other half telling you why whatever problem you have isn't covered.
Save the two grand it'll cost you for whatever repairs you need down the road.

ekbearly
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I work for F&I Magazine which covers that industry. Universal Underwriters is a great company (Just got bought by Zurich). However, from what I have seen on here, you won't be struggling to cover the costs on any major repairs that may happen to come up (chances are, they won't within the time period the warranty covers).
Service contracts are for people who can't deal with paying large sums of money at once so they "finance" it in case something happens down the road.

Biglue
01-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Why bother? Those assholes spend half of their time trying to sell you the warrenty and the other half telling you why whatever problem you have isn't covered.
Save the two grand it'll cost you for whatever repairs you need down the road.
Solid f'n advice right there. It took 3 f'n weeks to fix my truck when I submitted a claim under one of those extended warranty deals. First off they wanted proof maintenance, then it was question after question. It just left a bad taste in my mouth that they took my money 4 years prior to this happening and when I need the service I paid for they just seemed to try and weasel their way out of it every way possible. The whole repair was just under $500 if I remember correctly and I still had to pay about half out of pocket......the deductible was supposed to be $100.

Froggystyle
01-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I work for F&I Magazine which covers that industry. Universal Underwriters is a great company (Just got bought by Zurich). However, from what I have seen on here, you won't be struggling to cover the costs on any major repairs that may happen to come up (chances are, they won't within the time period the warranty covers).
Service contracts are for people who can't deal with paying large sums of money at once so they "finance" it in case something happens down the road.
What I am scared of is the mysterious motor grenade, $20,000 bill that pops up for no reason.
I have heard, apparently incorrectly, that they are not the most benign of creatures, and when they go south, they usually take your wallet with you.
As with the Hummer H1, I have been advised to "make sure to get an extended warranty" on it if I was considering purchasing used.
Sounds like that might be a myth though. I haven't met or talked to anyone with a CTT that doesn't absolutely love it.
Thanks for the advice folks... maybe I will just wing it and save the money.
BTW... it is nearly $5K, and I was going to be paying cash for the insurance.

Jrocket
01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Aftermarket warranties are a waste of money,they will fight you over every little issue and the fine print will get them out of the rest.
(CPO) Certified Pre Owned vehicles from a dealer is the best bet.You may pay a bit more in the beginning for the vehicle but having the factory backed warranty is the way to go,especially when it comes to high end cars.A CPO warranty start after the first factory backed warranty runs out.

Outnumbered
01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
What I am scared of is the mysterious motor grenade, $20,000 bill that pops up for no reason.
I have heard, apparently incorrectly, that they are not the most benign of creatures, and when they go south, they usually take your wallet with you.
As with the Hummer H1, I have been advised to "make sure to get an extended warranty" on it if I was considering purchasing used.
Sounds like that might be a myth though. I haven't met or talked to anyone with a CTT that doesn't absolutely love it.
Thanks for the advice folks... maybe I will just wing it and save the money.
BTW... it is nearly $5K, and I was going to be paying cash for the insurance.
Froggy, the best thing you can do is build a great rapport with your service writer (advisor). Find a good one and stick with him. If and when something happens you will be amazed at what he can and will do for you. I had a complete front axle and dif replaced under warranty on an out of warranty (due to mileage) lifted Z-71. Another time I had Jeep repair a leaky t-case seal on a modified NP241 on a lifted Jeep. A $5k warranty with an a-hole SW is worth ZERO. A good SW is worth his weight in gold:D