PDA

View Full Version : How many strikes till you are out??

Mardonzi
01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I was just reading the Salt Lake Tribune (being a former Utard) and came across this little article. Note the end of the article where as the guy has been popped twice for DUI and is suspected of being in the country illegally. Seems to me that the arresting agencies for the 2 prior DUI's should be held accoutable as well. They put this guy back out on the street instead of deporting him and now 3 people are dead.
On another note, how the hell did he have a drivers license to begin with in order for it to be expired?
Ceran family tragedy
Driver charged in crash that killed 3
By Stephen Hunt
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 01/03/2007 01:07:56 AM MST
Carlos Rodolfo Prieto - charged with killing three members of a Utah family and injuring three others by driving drunk - made his first court appearance Tuesday via closed-circuit TV.
From the Salt Lake County jail where Prieto is being held in lieu of $500,000 bail, Prieto appeared to listen carefully as 3rd District Judge Sheila McCleve read the charges, which were translated by a Spanish-language interpreter.
But at the end of the hearing, Prieto told the judge he didn't have an attorney, apparently unaware that attorney Peter Waldo was appearing on his behalf.
"Tell him his lawyer's here in the courtroom with me," McCleve told the interpreter. Waldo left the courtroom without speaking to news reporters.
A potential reduction in bail could be discussed at a Monday scheduling hearing before Judge Deno Himonas.
No one from the suspect's or victims' families was in attendance at Tuesday's hearing.
Prieto, 24, was allegedly driving drunk at 2:30 a.m. Dec. 24 when he ran a red light at 700 West and 5400 South, in Murray. His pickup struck a passenger car occupied by the six-member Ceran family, of Cedar Hills in Utah County.
Killed were the three front-seat passengers, Cheryl Ceran, 47, and two of her children, Ian, 15, and Julianna, 7.
Injured were Cheryl Ceran's husband, Gary Ceran, 45, and their daughter, Clarissa, 19, and a son, Caleb, 12, all of whom have been released from the hospital.
Prieto - who allegedly told police he had consumed five beers prior to the crash - is charged with three counts of automobile homicide and two counts of driving under the influence and causing serious bodily injury, all third-degree felonies.
Prosecutors said it was possible the third-degree felony auto homicide counts could be increased to second-degree felonies.
Prieto is also charged with one count each of class A misdemeanor DUI with injury and class C misdemeanor driving on an expired license.
If convicted of all the third-degree felonies, Prieto could be sent to prison for up to 25 years.
Jail records indicate Prieto has been arrested twice before on suspicion of drunken driving, but prosecutor Langdon Fisher could not confirm the incidents because he had not yet reviewed Prieto's record, he told news reporters.
Prieto, who is in jail on a hold from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, is believed to be an undocumented immigrant from Mexico.
Rant over....:mad:

wolfie
01-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I was just reading the Salt Lake Tribune (being a former Utard) and came across this little article. Note the end of the article where as the guy has been popped twice for DUI and is suspected of being in the country illegally. Seems to me that the arresting agencies for the 2 prior DUI's should be held accoutable as well. They put this guy back out on the street instead of deporting him and now 3 people are dead.
On another note, how the hell did he have a drivers license to begin with in order for it to be expired?
Ceran family tragedy
Driver charged in crash that killed 3
By Stephen Hunt
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 01/03/2007 01:07:56 AM MST
Carlos Rodolfo Prieto - charged with killing three members of a Utah family and injuring three others by driving drunk - made his first court appearance Tuesday via closed-circuit TV.
From the Salt Lake County jail where Prieto is being held in lieu of $500,000 bail, Prieto appeared to listen carefully as 3rd District Judge Sheila McCleve read the charges, which were translated by a Spanish-language interpreter.
But at the end of the hearing, Prieto told the judge he didn't have an attorney, apparently unaware that attorney Peter Waldo was appearing on his behalf.
"Tell him his lawyer's here in the courtroom with me," McCleve told the interpreter. Waldo left the courtroom without speaking to news reporters.
A potential reduction in bail could be discussed at a Monday scheduling hearing before Judge Deno Himonas.
No one from the suspect's or victims' families was in attendance at Tuesday's hearing.
Prieto, 24, was allegedly driving drunk at 2:30 a.m. Dec. 24 when he ran a red light at 700 West and 5400 South, in Murray. His pickup struck a passenger car occupied by the six-member Ceran family, of Cedar Hills in Utah County.
Killed were the three front-seat passengers, Cheryl Ceran, 47, and two of her children, Ian, 15, and Julianna, 7.
Injured were Cheryl Ceran's husband, Gary Ceran, 45, and their daughter, Clarissa, 19, and a son, Caleb, 12, all of whom have been released from the hospital.
Prieto - who allegedly told police he had consumed five beers prior to the crash - is charged with three counts of automobile homicide and two counts of driving under the influence and causing serious bodily injury, all third-degree felonies.
Prosecutors said it was possible the third-degree felony auto homicide counts could be increased to second-degree felonies.
Prieto is also charged with one count each of class A misdemeanor DUI with injury and class C misdemeanor driving on an expired license.
If convicted of all the third-degree felonies, Prieto could be sent to prison for up to 25 years.
Jail records indicate Prieto has been arrested twice before on suspicion of drunken driving, but prosecutor Langdon Fisher could not confirm the incidents because he had not yet reviewed Prieto's record, he told news reporters.
Prieto, who is in jail on a hold from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, is believed to be an undocumented immigrant from Mexico.
Rant over....:mad:
I'm a current Utard (moved from So. Cal). I was appalled over the fact that the Trib didn't really want to talk about him being here illegally. There was a
protest here earlier when they rounded up a bunch of illegals at a meat packing plant. They were complaining that there were being treated as a bunch of criminals. Aren't they??? 25 are being procecuted for identity theft.
There is a lot of talk about illegals taking jobs that americans don't want. The meat packing plant in Hyrum use to have a large number of Americans that were laid off or forced out after illegals were hired at a third of the wages. There are a lot of illegals in the building industy here now. There are very few painters or walboarders that aren't illegal here now. Those use to be held by Americans.
The harbor truckers use to be union until a large number of illegals came in and forced the truckers out of the jobs.
Most are using false I.D's (which may be yours or your kids) to obtain these jobs. They aren't obtaining drivers licenses or insurance. My wife was rearended by a carload which of course did not have insurance or license.
As far as drunk diving, there are a large number that are being booked but because of our world trying to be P.C. law enforcement aren't allowed to check on their citizenship (thank you Gloria Molina and Loretta Sanchez).
Sorry for the rant.