PDA

View Full Version : runner bottom prop guestion

bbc540
01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I purchased a brendella 2 inch runner bottom last summer after busting up my old rayson craft flat bottom anyway I have 11 inch diameter 15 pitch what they call radius prop on the brendella that does not have much out of the hole and will redline my 555 at 7300. now I have the prop that was on the flat which is a menkins 11-1/2 x 16 pitch that launched the flat like a bullet will it be safe to try the menkins on the runner bottom any input would be thankfull. Thanks:confused:

Carnivalride
01-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I purchased a brendella 2 inch runner bottom last summer after busting up my old rayson craft flat bottom anyway I have 11 inch diameter 15 pitch what they call radius prop on the brendella that does not have much out of the hole and will redline my 555 at 7300. now I have the prop that was on the flat which is a menkins 11-1/2 x 16 pitch that launched the flat like a bullet will it be safe to try the menkins on the runner bottom any input would be thankfull. Thanks:confused:
I think it would be fine but you need to keep a few things in mind. Not all props handle the same. If you get the same tip of blade to the back of the cavitation plate measurement I would think the 11-1/2" would give a little more transome lift. Not being familiar with your boat or how it currently "sets" I don't want to make any recommendations but I have tried several props from 11-1/2" to 10-3/4" dia under my Hondo runner bottom without any problems. Typically the smaller dia required me to add a nickel or more when compared to the larger dia props.
be safe and give it a try :) .

Brazos River Rat
01-04-2007, 09:44 AM
The larger diameter should give the boat more lift. I swap a 11x16 for a 11 1/2 x 15 and only saw a 2 mph difference. Slower. The boat will react a little differnce. Just make sure that you have the clearence for the prop to clear the bottom of the boat .
Carnivalride: Why do you have to add to the length ?? Does this give more lift otr take away the lift ???

Carnivalride
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
The larger diameter should give the boat more lift. I swap a 11x16 for a 11 1/2 x 15 and only saw a 2 mph difference. Slower. The boat will react a little differnce. Just make sure that you have the clearence for the prop to clear the bottom of the boat .
Carnivalride: Why do you have to add to the length ?? Does this give more lift otr take away the lift ???
On mine when I go to a smaller dia prop without spacing it back the boat tends to drag the tail. By moving the prop back a little it will free up the tail again (transom lift).

Brazos River Rat
01-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks . I might try that .
My boat is running to wet ..