PDA

View Full Version : How does Havalina Cantina stay in business

Baja Big Dog
01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Gone by this place since it opened, never went in until last weekend, what a POS, looked like a mini Orange County yuppie hang out...lots of unbrella drinks and bent nose people thinking they are impressing someone!!! What a joke. All the above could be overlooked if the food was good.....NOT!!!
Ate a salad.......................

Kilrtoy
01-04-2007, 10:01 PM
I agree but it is owned by SHUGRUE's and they help with the losses..
BUT THE OLD PEOPLE THINK IT IS GREAT AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD

Baja Big Dog
01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I agree but it is owned by SHUGRUE's and they help with the losses..
I think its our responsibility to educate the elderly, tell them, warn them, take them to quality places, its our duty!!!:D

Makinitdrip
01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
service suks too. I was there last year, the waiter dropped his tray of water glasses on my table and drenched 3 of us. he didn't even say sorry. I got up and went for towels and yelled for a manager. He said "ohwell sorry" and didn't even comp the drinks.

Not So Fast
01-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Gotta agree on this one, pricey and food has a funny taste, not good. NSF

EAZYKILLER2006
01-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Gone by this place since it opened, never went in until last weekend, what a POS, looked like a mini Orange County yuppie hang out...lots of unbrella drinks and bent nose people thinking they are impressing someone!!! What a joke. All the above could be overlooked if the food was good.....NOT!!!
Just dont talk shait about B&B's thats my favorite place!...GREAT FOOD!!!:devil:

Hardly Satisfied
01-05-2007, 03:08 AM
We eat there alot and it wasn't bad but when we hate there a few times early in the year it sucked. It seems like it 's been going down hill for a while

purrfecttremor
01-05-2007, 04:17 AM
I like to drink bud light there in the 16oz alum. bottle but the food sucks!

FREIND OF AA AND TA
01-05-2007, 05:42 AM
You guys clearly have not had the steak and cheeses torta!!!! Almost as good as the pastrami and cheese steak down stairs. The Nachos rock and I have never had bad service there. Everytime I order my fishbowl Cadalacs they are perfect. My wife loves her fajitas and salads too.
You just have to go when it's not too busy. The stuck up people don't bother me being from so cal. I guess I have never even noticed.
Mabe all the bad post are reverse phyc to keep it from being more crowded.lol

gmocnik
01-05-2007, 06:49 AM
You guys clearly have not had the steak and cheeses torta!!!! Almost as good as the pastrami and cheese steak down stairs. The Nachos rock and I have never had bad service there. Everytime I order my fishbowl Cadalacs they are perfect. My wife loves her fajitas and salads too.
You just have to go when it's not too busy. The stuck up people don't bother me being from so cal. I guess I have never even noticed.
Mabe all the bad post are reverse phyc to keep it from being more crowded.lol
your one of the stuck up people he's talking about......
whats goin on in santa clarita????
hope you guys are enjoying a good winter...
say hey to anne-marie
gary...kathy

GHT
01-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Not the greatest place but the atmosphere is what we enjoy the most about the place. Hangin' at the bar with some friends is fun because it is comfortable. BUT you are right about the cost.. Gotta be a baller and there are many other very good Mexican Resturants in Havasu (most are holes in the wall so don't be too proud to walk in).

cc322
01-05-2007, 07:01 AM
looked like a mini Orange County yuppie hang out...
So your saying you dont like Orange County?:)

franky
01-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Not the greatest place but the atmosphere is what we enjoy the most about the place. Hangin' at the bar with some friends is fun because it is comfortable. BUT you are right about the cost.. Gotta be a baller and there are many other very good Mexican Resturants in Havasu (most are holes in the wall so don't be too proud to walk in).
Better said IMO

phebus
01-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I wish I could find a Mexican restaurant that was good here.
And yes, I've been to Casa Fernandez, Casa Serrano, Javalina's, Bad Miguels, Taco Hacienda, Taco Bell, Del Taco, etc. Don't think too much of any of them.
Next stop- El Mariachi, I hear it might be good.
And, the Carneceria on Lake Havasu Ave. does have really good Carne Asade to throw on the bbq.

phebus
01-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Wednesday night Taco Night at Javalina's is a blast, and a great time to visit with friends.
The place goes off!!!

voodoomedman
01-05-2007, 07:48 AM
And yes, I've been to Casa Fernandez, Casa Serrano, Javalina's, Bad Miguels, Taco Hacienda, Taco Bell, Del Taco, etc. Don't think too much of any of them.
And, the Carneceria on Lake Havasu Ave. does have really good Carne Asade to throw on the bbq.
What did you expect? It's not like your going to eat Mexican food in Old Towne San Diego or something!!!!
Anyways I thought Casa Serrano would be pretty good. Never eaten there but it is owned by the same company that owns El Palacio in Bullhead and the food and drink are good there.
Also a decent place that is takeout style is Chico's in the Basha's shopping center.

phebus
01-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Chicos does have good food, but I'm looking for a good sit down restaurant, where there is some good atmosphere, like the cook chasing the waiter around with a knife or something. :D

OutCole'd
01-05-2007, 07:53 AM
I like Casa Serrano, but what do I know? I live in Vegas where there is NO decent Mexican food.

XFactor
01-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Lesson #1 - When ordering at a mexican resturant, order mexican food.
If you want a salad, go to souplantation. :D :D :D

Baja Big Dog
01-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Lesson #1 - When ordering at a mexican resturant, order mexican food.
If you want a salad, go to souplantation. :D :D :D
When the food looks like it did I consider it unfit to eat and have on a Mexican menu!!!!
Try the poppers...ummmm...got that "just out of the Costco freezer" taste and look, forgot how much they were, remember it was funny!!!
The salad looked safe, tasted good, but I would have a hard time making salad taste bad.
ITS NOT EL FARILITO'S IN PLACENTIA.....:sqeyes:

Racer277
01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
I actually like this place.
Of course, I have no taste.:D
This weekend they changed the channels on the TV for me. We like to sit on the patio on Sundays and listen to Phat Matt's music playing in the channel.:D

beaverretriever
01-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I like Casa Serrano, but what do I know? I live in Vegas where there is NO decent Mexican food.
Well here ya go then.
Lindo Michoacan
or
this place isnt too bad either. Guadalajara in the Sunset station. Service is not always perfect, but the salsa bar is awesome. They are one of the few Mexican restauarants that actually offers really HOT salsa.

Mrs.Racer277
01-05-2007, 09:50 AM
I enjoy sitting on the patio and watching the boats in the channel. I have always had great service and food. I am not into authentic Mexican food so Javalina's is perfect for me.

OutCole'd
01-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Well here ya go then.
Lindo Michoacan
or
this place isnt too bad either. Guadalajara in the Sunset station. Service is not always perfect, but the salsa bar is awesome. They are one of the few Mexican restauarants that actually offers really HOT salsa.
Where is Lindo Michoacan?
I'm on the other side of the world from you on the West side.

Ziggy
01-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Bunch of felines, snubbing food... :D
I've always been lucky and had good food and drinks there.....guess I'm blessed LOL :D Then again I rarely say no to a meal :rolleyes: :)

beaverretriever
01-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Where is Lindo Michoacan?
I'm on the other side of the world from you on the West side.
http://www.lindomichoacan.com/

OutCole'd
01-05-2007, 10:13 AM
http://www.lindomichoacan.com/
Thanks, but that is way far from me and no easy way to get there without a bunch of traffic.
I guess I just need to get used to the Bell........:mad:

Starloans
01-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm just a white boy but I used to work with a Mexican lady that told me her opnion of what REAL Mexican food was.
This is what she said...Mexican food is America is is the same as fast food in Mexico. Only the poor people or fast food is burritos, tacos, beans, rice, etc.
She said REAL mexican food was served at nice resturants and was like dining at a Fine French resturant. The food is different and all.
That's just what she said.

Havasu1986
01-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I have never had a bad dinner their. I usually sit in the bar where the bartenders serve you. But what do I know, I'm 46

slowinhavasu
01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
We eat there every wed. night....I think the tacos are pretty good....Coronas are ice cold...When you have a party of twenty the service can be stretched...This week was great..........

islander287
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Havalina (Javalina ??) works for me - sometimes great service / sometimes the service sucks. Food is usually o.k. I think the palce rocks. It is what it is. Great location, great view. Quit ur bitchin - there's many more things in life to gripe about than hangin in havasu with so so service. I went to a place across from Walt's (on industry, i think) claiming authentic mexican food. The service was slow but the food was AWESOME!!!. I had indegestine for a week!! Try it.

phebus
01-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Not across from Walt's (Palo Verde S.), but on Industrial is Casa Fernandez.

islander287
01-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Not across from Walt's (Palo Verde S.), but on Industrial is Casa Fernandez.That's it. I really liked the place. Same deal for me - it is what it is - sometimes the service was great / sometimes not so - the food was alway s good.

phebus
01-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Probably (IMO) the best Mexican food in Havasu, but no atmosphere at all.
My kind of hole in the wall. :D

Mrs.Racer277
01-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Not across from Walt's (Palo Verde S.), but on Industrial is Casa Fernandez.
They have a yummy breakfast. :D

ClownRoyal
01-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Is that all you do is eat?
:D

Mrs.Racer277
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Is that all you do is eat?
Does liquids count????;) :D :D ;)

ClownRoyal
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Does liquids count????;) :D :D ;)
I hear liquid diets are good.;)

BIGRRNU
01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
We go there all the time but it may be hard to screw up Margaritas and chips and Salsa. My hubby is addicted to their salsa (actually all salsas) Nice atmosphere. So if you don't like their food, go home and fix your own damn dinner. My choice is let them do the clean up. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Mtg Pro
01-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Chicos does have good food, but I'm looking for a good sit down restaurant, where there is some good atmosphere, like the cook chasing the waiter around with a knife or something. :D
Just like at home huh !!!

SummitKarl
01-06-2007, 06:50 AM
AHHHHH....so you were there for taco night:D

2Driver
01-06-2007, 07:12 AM
He opened one here in Carefree a year ago, it's already gone under.

THOR
01-06-2007, 08:03 AM
what a POS, looked like a mini Orange County yuppie hang out...
I agree. All the great Mexican joints are in the high desert. OC sucks and nobody should go there. :D

Baja Big Dog
01-07-2007, 10:49 AM
So your saying you dont like Orange County?:)
Oh contrar mi amigo, all the bent nose, perky butt yuppie hangout's is my source of entertainment, I often wonder....do those chicks need to wipe since their poo dont stink?? HUMMMMM:confused: :confused:

Baja Big Dog
01-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Havalina (Javalina ??) works for me - sometimes great service / sometimes the service sucks. Food is usually o.k. I think the palce rocks. It is what it is. Great location, great view. Quit ur bitchin - there's many more things in life to gripe about than hangin in havasu with so so service. I went to a place across from Walt's (on industry, i think) claiming authentic mexican food. The service was slow but the food was AWESOME!!!. I had indegestine for a week!! Try it.
What are you saying.....sometimes service sucks????food is OK???Great view, go to Taco Bell and stand on the bridge an d eat it, better food and better view.........

Biglue
01-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm just a white boy but I used to work with a Mexican lady that told me her opnion of what REAL Mexican food was.
This is what she said...Mexican food is America is is the same as fast food in Mexico. Only the poor people or fast food is burritos, tacos, beans, rice, etc.
She said REAL mexican food was served at nice resturants and was like dining at a Fine French resturant. The food is different and all.
That's just what she said.
Don't know about all that, but yes burritos tacos, sopes is about equivalent to a sandwich. You have your complete meal in between bread, tortillas etc. It also depends on what region she was from that would determine what she saw as authentic.

All IN
01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Javelinas is one of the best restaurants in Havasu.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT.
We have never had a bad meal there and we have been there over 50 times.

Havasu1986
01-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Javelinas is one of the best restaurants in Havsua.
Where is Havsua:D

Kachina26
01-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Try Los Hermanos on McCulloch.
Probably won't do javalina again, wasn't horrible, but it wasn't worth the fare.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Does any restaurant in Havasu have good service?
Che Bones is marginal at best,, the rest ???

Kilrtoy
01-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Does any restaurant in Havasu have good service?
Che Bones is marginal at best,, the rest ???
Indigo Joe's does.....
Javalina's is like an upscale taco bell, not even close to having any flavor

boatsnblondes
01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
OK guys, here's how it works. And listen up closely. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD MEXICAN FOOD OR AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD AT A MEXICAN RESTAURANT. Got it???? The ONLY way to get real, honest to God authentic stick to your ribs Mexican food is to marry a Mexican girl and eat every Sunday at her Grandma's house. Nuff said. been there, done that, still have not lost the taste for the real good stuff.....hope this helps....

Baja Big Dog
01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Javelinas is one of the best restaurants in Havsua.
Is there a Havalina Cantina in Havsua? Hope its better than the one in Havasu!!!:idea:

Phat Matt
01-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I actually like this place.
Of course, I have no taste.:D
This weekend they changed the channels on the TV for me. We like to sit on the patio on Sundays and listen to Phat Matt's music playing in the channel.:D
Nice! :D
I have to go up there sometime and see how it sounds. :D

islander287
01-07-2007, 01:36 PM
What are you saying.....sometimes service sucks????food is OK???Great view, go to Taco Bell and stand on the bridge an d eat it, better food and better view......... no brewski's @ taco bell.

OutCole'd
01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I've been there twice, both times, good service & food. Like the view, beers were cold. No problems.

Mrs.Racer277
01-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Nice! :D
I have to go up there sometime and see how it sounds. :D
It sounds great!:D
Good food, good drinks, bumpin music (Thanks Matt!). Good Stuff!
That's why we come to Havasu.:D
Mr.R277

Havasu1986
01-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Just got back from brunch at El Torito...Javalina is waaaaaaay better.

GHT
01-07-2007, 02:54 PM
We always go to El Mariachi.... It is a hole in the wall but VERY good. The beer is ICE cold too.. Atmosphere is a little lacking but the food more than makes up for it.

GHT
01-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Well here ya go then.
Lindo Michoacan
or
Coyote's on Sunset just East of TGI Fridays at Green Valley Pkwy. It is Very good Mexican food.
Try it out sometime, let me know what you think....:idea:

THOR
01-07-2007, 03:02 PM
OK guys, here's how it works. And listen up closely. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD MEXICAN FOOD OR AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD AT A MEXICAN RESTAURANT. Got it???? The ONLY way to get real, honest to God authentic stick to your ribs Mexican food is to marry a Mexican girl and eat every Sunday at her Grandma's house. Nuff said. been there, done that, still have not lost the taste for the real good stuff.....hope this helps....
Not entirely true.

Baja Big Dog
01-07-2007, 07:21 PM
no brewski's @ taco bell.
Ever hear of a freeway bag???

glamis
01-07-2007, 08:06 PM
your right, there isn't any good mexican joints here. sure miss super mex

Brian
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Yep, this thread sure nailed it. Javelina sucks, everyone stay away. That way, I won't have to wait as long next time I park the boat, walk up to the restaraunt, and get a table on the patio overlooking the channel. Good cold beer, tasty grub (I'm not a food snob), and friendly staff. Yep, that sucks all right...

79 HUSTLER
01-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Yep, this thread sure nailed it. Javelina sucks, everyone stay away. That way, I won't have to wait as long next time I park the boat, walk up to the restaraunt, and get a table on the patio overlooking the channel. Good cold beer, tasty grub (I'm not a food snob), and friendly staff. Yep, that sucks all right...
EXACTLY.... Stay away, this place sucks :D

ChumpChange
01-08-2007, 09:51 AM
We go there everytime we go to Havasu. It's good and very cheap compared to everywhere else.

islander287
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Ever hear of a freeway bag??? Hey, u talking about my old lady ??

BarryMac
01-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm gonna open a Mexican food rest. in Havasu, I'll have my Mexican wife cook it so you all can have "Authentic" Mexican food, it's authentic is it's cooked by a Mexican right???

Brian
01-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey, speaking of Mexican food in Havasu, anyone else like Chico's Tacos? That place is always a must-visit for a river weekend, usually for breakfast! Yummmm...
:)

Kilrtoy
01-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey, speaking of Mexican food in Havasu, anyone else like Chico's Tacos? That place is always a must-visit for a river weekend, usually for breakfast! Yummmm...
Love that place and it has flavor, unlike Javalina's

Brian
01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Love that place and it has flavor, unlike Javalina's
Yes it's definitely more "authentic", good stuff for sure!

That Guy
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I've been there twice, both times, good service & food. Like the view, beers were cold. No problems.
As usual...Mr. Bill is right on...great view, good food and we've always had a blast there...:)

Kilrtoy
01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
As usual...Mr. Bill is right on...great view, good food and we've always had a blast there...:)
all that coming for a white guy:D

voodoomedman
01-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes. I mentioned Chico's earlier in the thread.

Havasu1986
01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Haven't heard anything about Chuys yet,,,any good. Sounds Mexican

voodoomedman
01-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Haven't been but the sign says Mesquite Broiler. That doesn't sound mexican.

Havasu1986
01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
They changed the name again.

BadKachina
01-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Havalina's food is just typical big chain "Mexican" type food. You don't go to those types of places for "authenitic Mexican" food, you go for the atmosphere and the service. I thought both we're pretty good last summer, and the food is as good as can be expected. I usually load up on chips and salsa and cold beer so that I can't really tell you what the food tastes like anyways.;)

havaduner
01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I like their Chicken Tacos, but after watching the pigeons running amuck, I wont eat on the patio.
Yeah, I know, the chicken, may be pigeon, and it tastes good and all, I just dont want to eat in a pile of pigeon crap!

HavasuSelect
01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
The food is good. Not very authentic, but good. What keeps me coming back is the view. Nothing beats sitting there after a long day on the water and watching the sun go down. I think I have a pic of it somewhere. I'll try and find it.
Casa Fernandez is pretty damn good though......

HavasuSelect
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/blulitespecial8/IMG_1341.jpg

phebus
01-08-2007, 08:29 PM
The only good part of going to Chuy's is watching the tweakers that work there, go around twitching. :D
Freakin' tweakers. :mad:

HavasuSelect
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
The only good part of going to Chuy's is watching the tweakers that work there, go around twitching. :D
Freakin' tweakers. :mad:
Hey Rick, if you see my old man around town tell him to stop harassing the young girls. (Even though they're the only ones that are his height):D