PDA

View Full Version : Splash Guard

General Lee II
01-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Looking for a splash guard for my boat. Anybody know where to finds/buy/steal one?

watergun4u
01-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi I have seen this post in here for awhile now,let me start by saying i have been building boats for over 24 years, and the cheapest way to get a splash gaurd is to make one your self! Its not hard to do, you just need to get some plexy glass whatever color you want, and then what you do is, find the center on your boat in the rear, Then decide how far you want it to rape around the sides of the boat usely its about 8/ 10 inches then what you want to do is measure from the center line on boat to the beginng of the curve in the back of boat, and do the same to the other side aswell, then what you want to do, is start to bend it, by using a heat gun, or a blow dryer that blows pretty hot, line the lines up on the boat and the ones one the plexy, so it will be even! then start heating it up making sure you dont get to close, or you will melt the plexy, and as it starts to heat up ,slowly start to bend it, till you reach the curve of the boat, and then do the same to the other side, and if you do it right, it should come out just like, or better then the one you can buy, and you can save alot of money doing it yourself, if you have any questions feel free to shot me a email!boatdawgo@aol.com,,,, Tye:)

atxwrangler
01-06-2007, 01:34 AM
i have heard lexan is much better,less brittle and more flexible.the only way to go!:confused:

YeLLowBoaT
01-06-2007, 01:50 AM
lexan is just a "name brand" thats used generically to describe a product.
Kind of like roller blades and inline skates.
Any "lexan" will work fine. "arcylic" on the other hand will not work, the 1st wake you go over it will crack. Any decent plastic shop with a "oven" will be able to take care of you. if you want to spend about $200 in tools, better part of a weekend and $100 on material it is something you can do your self. I will warn you, this is not for your "average DIYer" it will take some practice and a good ammount of time to get it right. mistakes with plastic cost $$$$.
oh yeah, it goes from the perfect temp to burnt really fast... even faster if your using a hydrogen trouch... don't ask me how I know.:mad:

General Lee II
01-06-2007, 06:23 PM
This is great information - I was really just wondering if there was anyone out there that does it. I do restorations too and definately do one if I have to but I was hoping someone actually made these.
I am actually thinking about making one out of stainless steel - my boat is blue and white. I have very thin guage polished stainless steel - need to make a pattern and go to town.
Any suggestions? Buzz Wheel?

sleekcrafter
01-07-2007, 06:11 AM
On the thin stainless, find a good good HVAC shop, have their sheet metal guy cut it and roll an edge on it:idea: once you have your pattern made up.

fat rat
01-07-2007, 01:11 PM
http://finneys.com/marine.htm ...........check these guys out,

General Lee II
01-13-2007, 08:05 AM
'preciate it.