PDA

View Full Version : Windshield for a buggy/rail needed in AZ

2Driver
01-06-2007, 10:03 AM
I thought I knew this stuff but am getting mixed answers. I think the Rhino counts as a ATV/Cycle so that why I didnt need one for my RHino but..
does anyone current have a Buggy/Rail reg in AZ without a windshield? The one I am looking at does not have awindshield and I want to get it legal.

Boatcop
01-06-2007, 10:05 AM
For a buggy or ATV a windshield isn't required, as long as all the occupants have eve protection.
Regular registration/insurance/license is required to operate on the road.

2Driver
01-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks, you just saved me a lot of frustration and perhaps a chunk of $.
If sales tax was paid at some point in the ownership I am good but how do they determine cost of the TAG. I know someone driving a $70K buggy and pays only $150 a year for the tag?

Boatcop
01-06-2007, 10:17 AM
For most vehicles the MVD uses the NADA guide to determine the VLT (Vehicle License Tax). If a particular vehicle isn't listed I believe they use the invoice price.
Registration fees are pretty static, and the VLT decreases every year as the vehicle depreciates. As long as you show that Sales tax was paid somewhere, that won't be an issue.
The VLT isn't negotiable, based on what you paid. As an example, they used what the book said for my 2007 Tahoe, and not what I paid. ($5,000+ less through Jay)

2Driver
01-06-2007, 10:18 AM
NO book value on a Sidewinder dual sport, does not exist. So now how would they determine value???

roostwear
01-06-2007, 11:21 AM
For most vehicles the MVD uses the NADA guide to determine the VLT (Vehicle License Tax). If a particular vehicle isn't listed I believe they use the invoice price.
Registration fees are pretty static, and the VLT decreases every year as the vehicle depreciates. As long as you show that Sales tax was paid somewhere, that won't be an issue.
The VLT isn't negotiable, based on what you paid. As an example, they used what the book said for my 2007 Tahoe, and not what I paid. ($5,000+ less through Jay)
I just titled and registered in AZ the Bronco I posted about a month or so ago. Took all of 30 minutes. They verified the VIN, and I waited a whole 5 minutes inside MVD for my number to be called (no "appointment" needed). The clerk helping me didn't know what a Bronco was, so after a few details were ironed out, she checked it in the NADA guide. She also asked if I had an AZ ID to verify my local address. Told her no, but I have utility bills to prove it. She says that's OK, she trusts me. :eek: Like you'd see that in a California DMV!
My Bronco is now a 2 door, 4wd station wagon.... cracks me up. She said with the title transfer from CA to AZ and 1 year registration it would be $22.50, or 2 years for $35! I spent the big bucks and went for 2......:D

boatnam2
01-06-2007, 12:30 PM
i did mine in parker and believe me there not going for the old i put it togther myself or i paid 5k.i had to show my bill of sale which was 23k after alot of trying to bullshit her and ended up paying i think 800 bucks in tax.cant remember it was a few years ago.i heard alot of good stories but when i went to the dmv in parker it was a must see vehicle and bill of sale maybe they changed in 2 years but i doubt it.

2Driver
01-06-2007, 02:53 PM
i did mine in parker and believe me there not going for the old i put it togther myself or i paid 5k.i had to show my bill of sale which was 23k after alot of trying to bullshit her and ended up paying i think 800 bucks in tax.cant remember it was a few years ago.i heard alot of good stories but when i went to the dmv in parker it was a must see vehicle and bill of sale maybe they changed in 2 years but i doubt it.
If that would happen to me it could kill the deal :(

Boatcop
01-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Yep.
They'll need to see the bill of sale/invoice to determine the VLT. I just checked on going price(s) for the Dual Sport and you'll definitely be shelling out a load of dough.

boatnam2
01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
that sucks just trying to give you some legit info,you hear all the time this guy did that this guy did this to register something in az...well maybe they did beat the system somehow but az is on to the reg it in az game it is cheap(was cheap)and now there there pulling in the bucks just like ca for boat and other rides.i was paying peanuts for my boat but this year it was 300 for reg still way better then 1500 luxury tax but not a free ticket anymore in az.

2Driver
01-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Yep.
They'll need to see the bill of sale/invoice to determine the VLT. I just checked on going price(s) for the Dual Sport and you'll definitely be shelling out a load of dough.
Even though I'll be the 3rd owner private party transaction?
It’s never been registered and that is the sticky part. How do I show diminished value over a new $100K one? The tax and plate could run $12K if I go off the MSO which would not be accurate anyway:mad:
Why can't I just have the guy write up a bill of sale for $15K, used private party transaction? I can pay him another "60K" for the trailer :idea:
I am not giving up just yet, I have already invisioned myself driving it at a very high rate of speed :) :)

Boatcop
01-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Even though I'll be the 3rd owner private party transaction?
It’s never been registered and that is the sticky part. How do I show diminished value over a new $100K one? The tax and plate could run $12K if I go off the MSO which would not be accurate anyway:mad:
Why can't I just have the guy write up a bill of sale for $15K, used private party transaction? I can pay him another "60K" for the trailer :idea:
I am not giving up just yet, I have already invisioned myself driving it at a very high rate of speed :) :)
They would take the MSO price, which would display the model year, and figure in the depreciation (which is a standard % per year) and apply the VLT to that amount. The formula they use is:
The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06.
So it doesn't matter what you paid for it, or what the bill of sale says. The VLT is based on the manufacturer's base price, to prevent exactly what you describe. They would need the original sales invoice from the manufacturer or a statement from them stating what the base price was for the model year on the MSO.