PDA

View Full Version : Lowered pickups and backing boat in the water.... extended receiver

DUECE'SDAD
01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Lowered pickups and backing boat in the water.... extended receiver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any of you all with slammed pick ups use an extra long receiver when you get to the lake to keep your pickup higher on the ramp. . . . I just about got my blazer running which isnt super low but i know with my uni ford lowered i had to get the water half up the door on a semi flat ramp.
I seen a extra long reciever at a boat guys house that he said he kept in his pick up (not even lowered) and said once he gets to the lake and lined up to back down the ramp he chocks the wheel on the trailer, slaps this (2-3ft) extension tube, then back on down the ramp. He didnt want to get his pickup in the water at all.
Anyone else heard or done anything of this nature ???

NeverStop
01-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I have seen this done before, with Jet Ski trailers that have the second level on them and also a lot of trucks with the cab-over campers.
I would call one of the manufactures of the cab-over campers and ask them, they had to of done testing.
Also I would include the weight of the boat when asking anyone. Very Important.
Hope this is helpful…

maxwedge
01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. I have a two wheel drive truck and if the ramp is steep and slippery, which seems to be just about always, I usually wind up winching the boat quite a ways to avoid being the guy who's truck is under water.

Beer-30
01-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't see that it would be any problem. I am dropped 8", and the water only gets to the bottom 1/4 of my rim/tire. Not even to the lugs. In the winter, I walk on the hitch/tongue from inside the bed to keep my feet dry. I can walk all the way to the winch, and still out of water.
How long is the boat/trailer?

spectras only
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
When I compared the trailers of these two boats [ they're equal in length], the Ryan trailer [ black boat] had an extra foot distance from the A frame to the actuator's ball socket, compared to the Vance trailer's [ white boat] .It's hard to judge by looking at the pictures though.It makes a world of difference when backing down to launch a boat with just a tad more length . Never had to back any of my tow vehicles rear into the drink with the Ryan . I would rather modify the trailer than dipping the rearend of a car/truck .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/IMG_1101.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/IMG_1607%20copy.jpg

XtrmWakeborder
01-07-2007, 04:42 PM
It's deffinately useful for me. I had my dads friend custom make my hitch to go behind my blazer's bumber and while he was at it a had him make an extra long hitch that has two places for the pin to go through. One for regular driving, and the other one for launching. It works great, and without it I would never make it out of the water. Especially at telephone cove.

DUECE'SDAD
01-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Its a hydro which you have to sink the entire trailer to the the sponsons over the fenders. . . when the ball goes under water you in far enuf

Beer-30
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Ok, different situation than mine. If anything, I would say lengthen the trailer tongue. Much more area to gusset and brace. Stretching out a single piece of tubing starts multiplying load on one piece of metal.

DUECE'SDAD
01-08-2007, 08:43 AM
well it pulls and looks fine the way it is, im just talking about getting about a
4ft (or so) peice of square tubing making the peice that slides in and pins, then sliding my reciever into that and rehooking up the boat. Im with you on the stress and tension load on that 4ft section but im only talking going down and then back up the ramp with it. Never on the road. Do you think it will work ???? Much easier and cleaner than cutting the tounge off and rebuilding. . . Plus then your talking more garage space lost.

Beer-30
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
It really depends on how much tongue weight there is, since this will be multiplied by the extension.
If you do this, just make sure you have an extension section of chain to hang on to the trailer in the event of breakage on the ramp.:sqeyes:

DUECE'SDAD
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah i thought of the weldint chain onto it and hooking to truck, then eyelets on the extension to hook the trailer chains onto There is very very little tounge weight. There is NO trailer jack and when you pull off the hitch the tounge sets almost level

Nubbs
01-12-2007, 03:50 PM
I never had any problems with my lowered Chevy. It had a 6-8 drop. I never had water up to the lugs.

jscarab
01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
d, got any pics of the blazer? I have a lowered 79 on bags, 4-link. trying to figure out the receiver? dont like how lowit hangs down..........jesse

dumbandyoung
01-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Ive been meaning to mention... youve got a sick truck. Ive always had a thing for dropped chevy duallys from the mid- late 90s ..billy b had a sick black one too

XtrmWakeborder
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Heres mine. The frame is about 4 inches off the ground when i'm driving normal. Speed bumps hate me.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/XtrmWakeborder/1815sig.jpg

dumbandyoung
01-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Looks good.
my first truck was a dropped chevy blazer. mine was white though.

Bobbo541
01-21-2007, 01:14 PM
just make one and see how it works otherwise youll never know. :)

River Rat 005
01-21-2007, 01:38 PM
If you can lift that hydro tongue off the hitch, I don't think you'll have any trouble pulling it around the ramp.

sangervdrive
01-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Heres mine. The frame is about 4 inches off the ground when i'm driving normal. Speed bumps hate me.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/XtrmWakeborder/1815sig.jpg
Whats that dropped on? I have a '99 2 door blazer that has three inch blocks out back and 2 inch spindles with 1.5 inch drop springs in front. Its a two wheel drive with the 4.3 and I'm wondering how horrible it will be to get up the ramp with my 18' Sanger v drive on the trailer.
Any help? BTW, your blaze looks really good at that stance!

DUECE'SDAD
02-01-2007, 07:19 AM
those arent blazers . . . . There s-10's ;) ;)

XtrmWakeborder
02-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Whats that dropped on? I have a '99 2 door blazer that has three inch blocks out back and 2 inch spindles with 1.5 inch drop springs in front. Its a two wheel drive with the 4.3 and I'm wondering how horrible it will be to get up the ramp with my 18' Sanger v drive on the trailer.
Any help? BTW, your blaze looks really good at that stance!
Thanks! I have 18" wheels all around on 245/40 in the front and 255/45 in the back. 2 inch drop spindles and 2 inch drop springs in the front, 2 inch blocks and 3 1/2inch de arched leafs in the back. The back has a custom-c-notch, but it still hits on the big bumps. The back also has air shocks to air up for towing. My extended hitch when I pull it out is probable a good 3 extra feet, and it does great when launching my 3,000lb mini daycruiser. Even at telephone cove. Throw up some pics of yours!