PDA

View Full Version : Need some boat buying advise

H2O
01-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Hello, I wanted to see if I could a get a little shopping advice from the experts. I have been boating a long, long time but not had a chance to test drive many different boats. I'm looking for a hull design that is fast AND rides well, and my three "must have's" are:
- 21' to 23' foot open bow
- used in good condition, under 30k
- rides well in the afternoon chop of Havasu or Mead
footnotes,
*I'm partial to efficient hulls. Anything that gets more MPH or MPG for the same horsepower would catch my attention. (I haven't ridden in a 22' cat or mod-v hull, so I would love to hear feedback on these options. i.e. how's a 22' cat do in the chop? Love to try an Elimininator Edge 232 open bow, but haven't found one yet)
* I like outboards becuase of the lighter weight (again more MPH per horsepower), but seems a little harder to find on the West Coast, i.e I've heard a Checkmate Pulsare 21 will do 70 plus with a 225 outboard, but very hard to find out here.
* As if the above wasn't enough, the ideal boat would be a respected name already be low on it's depreciation curve. i.e. I don't put on many hours or abuse on my stuff and it would be cool it it didn't loose half it's value in the next three years.
Seems like a good time to buy, so I'll look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks to all!

dumbandyoung
01-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Hello, I wanted to see if I could a get a little shopping advice from the experts. I have been boating a long, long time but not had a chance to test drive many different boats. The catch is that I'm looking for a hull that is fast AND rides well. My 3 "must have's" are:
- 21' to 23' foot open bow
- used in good condition, under 28k
- rides extra good in the afternoon chop of Havasu or Mead
footnotes,
*I'm partial to efficient hulls. Anything that gets more MPH or MPG for the same horsepower would catch my attention. (I haven't ridden in a 22' cat or mod-v hull, so I would love to hear feedback on these options. i.e. how's a 22' cat do in the chop? Love to try an Elimininator Edge 232 open bow, but haven't found one yet)
* I like outboards becuase of the lighter weight (again more MPH per horsepower), but seems a little harder to find on the West Coast, i.e I've heard a Checkmate Pulsare 21 will do 70 plus with a 225 outboard, but very hard to find out here.
Seems like a good time to buy, so I'll look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks to all!
heres one to help you out... if your into Kool-Aid that is..:)
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/1/86316661.htm

Dribble
01-06-2007, 06:17 PM
He's looking for an open bow, otherwise I would have directed him to this.
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126435

beaverretriever
01-06-2007, 06:38 PM
It sounds like you dont want to spend a lot of money (unfortunately 30k is not much in todays boat market). So my only advice is, DONT BUY A CAT!!!
Insurance will kill you, if you can even get insurance. I have been cat insurance shopping for about 2 weeks now, and it is not cheap.
Stick with a good V. There are a few out there. The biggest problem you will have is finding one that doesnt look too out of date for what yo uwant to spend. (meaning gel or paint).
Good luck.
BTW, if you are willing to spend 58k, I have a nice 23 footer for sale. ;)

syke-o
01-06-2007, 08:53 PM
open bows are available at that size range all day long, just impossible to find on in that size that ride good in afternnon chop.. you will have to go bigger to get a GOOD ride.. i have a 22' open bow and get the shit beat out of me in the afternoons in havasu..

Redneck
01-06-2007, 09:16 PM
the 23 danas ride very well in chop they are not that expensive new but to stay in your range try to find a use one

H2O
01-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks so far. I understand that in that price range I'll have out of date graphics, but I'm willing for a nice boat otherwise. I think the Eliminator Edge was stopped in the early Nineties, so in addition to finding an open bow I'll have to find one without Pink & Turquiose :rolleyes:
Still looking for the best riding hull in a 23'? Keep those cards and letters coming!

H2O
01-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Dribble - That Lavey looks sweet!
What does eveyone think of openbow conversions? Designer Marine gave me a quote of about $4k to do it, but I wonder if you end up with a nice boat or a clusterf*&^?

Makinitdrip
01-06-2007, 09:43 PM
open bows are available at that size range all day long, just impossible to find on in that size that ride good in afternnon chop.. you will have to go bigger to get a GOOD ride.. i have a 22' open bow and get the shit beat out of me in the afternoons in havasu..
true. you learn how to drive with the chop instead of plowing thru it.

HCS
01-06-2007, 09:59 PM
One comment in your adventure caught my attention so I'll focus on that.
Depreciation curve.
When shopping for boats throw depreciation out the window. Boats are not cars.
If your going to shop for a boat depending on how much value the boat will retain your shopping for the wrong reason.
Shop for a boat that you want to keep that best suits your needs.
Something you want to keep in your life that you can custom build just for you.
Look up and down this web site. Everyone on here dumps their money in a differant hull. (Hole)
There's boats that seat one or two people that do 100 or maybe 200mph.
Then there's boat's that seat whole families that are capable of hitting speeds in between.
Non of them retain the $$$$ dumped into them.
Me.... Mr. waterskier, I have a ski boat. I will never sell my ski boat unless I am physically lame or just to damn old to ski.
So.......... I do want another boat or 2 or 5 but I will always retain the ski boat.
It's my roots.

andy01
01-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Look for a older (late 90's) 24 DCB, or a 2000-2004 Ultra 247. Both boats are one in the same, just built by two different builders with different names on them. DCB sold the boats to Ultra. A great handling boat by many means, ran good in real rough water, ran a decent number without a lot of power and a all around fun boat to drive. Plus good size boat for the money. If you would like to see some loan options on used version new send me a private message.
Andy

xs ultra
01-07-2007, 12:52 AM
How about this 21ft ultra xs open bow.
Good name builder,
In your price bracket
Rides good for a 21ft
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21099&d=1166678536
Look in the spam area for details

bigq
01-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Older boats in that price range would be
- Eliminatior Edge 232, they come up often in boat trader, even open bows.
-Cheetah 24 Stilleto, open bow. I know of one right now in the trader with a 540 and Bravo drive for 30k
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/2/86315322.htm
-Lavey Craft Sebring open bow
-24 Daytona, not open bow
If you look out of state you can find a boat called Obsession. they bought hulls from Eliminator (like DCB) did and they have the Daytonas and Edge series boats.

Keith E. Sayre
01-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Howard 22' Offshore--looks like a 24 Hallett with 2 foot missing. just happen to know where there is one in mint
condition 1995 502 Mag, super clean. asking $30,000.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

maxwedge
01-07-2007, 09:46 AM
All I want to know is...How is it that "H2O" was still available as a screen name after all these years of Hot Boat?: Nobody else even tried that one?:D Anyway, good luck with finding a boat.

bigq
01-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Howard 22' Offshore--looks like a 24 Hallett with 2 foot missing. just happen to know where there is one in mint
condition 1995 502 Mag, super clean. asking $30,000.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
that's funny because I always thought that the 24 Hallett looked like a Howard 22 OffShore, but 2 feet longer.:D

bigq
01-07-2007, 10:14 AM
From what i hear that 22 Howard would cut through the Havasu chop also. I have talked to Gene at Howard several time about his trips to Catalina in the 22':eek:

IT'SONLYMONEY
01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
i would look at these in your price range. they are a tunnel hull and ride especially well for the size in rough waters. much better than a 24 v will. i have had a 21, 25, and now a 27' and have ridden in the cheetah 24 and it rides just as nice in the chop as my 27. i only wish some builder would make a tunnel v in the bigger size range and i would be all over it.
good luck

BLOWN HOWARD
01-07-2007, 01:40 PM
By far the best riding boat in that range is the Howard 22 Offshore. Would put it up against anything in its class.Happen to drive mine with one hand in some 3-4ftrs in Havasu. Just happen to have one for sale in the price range!!!!! Shouldv'e name it the Howard 22 Cadilac

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-07-2007, 01:49 PM
All I want to know is...How is it that "H2O" was still available as a screen name after all these years of Hot Boat?: Nobody else even tried that one?:D Anyway, good luck with finding a boat.
LOL, I was wondering the same exact thing. :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Did Phat Matt ever sell his 24' Commander ???
That is a sweet boat for the price.....
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97404&highlight=24%27+Commander
Later,
CJG
:D

Mrs.Racer277
01-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Buy the Rev's Daytona, (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127313)
And cut a big hole in the front. 4K as someone stated.
God Damn that would be a shame though...
Mr277

H2O
01-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Great stuff folks, I really appreciate it!
Looks like the Howard 22 and the Ultra 247 should be on my short list, if I can find one in my price range. I'll keep my eye on the Trader and spam section from now on. I found a very favorable test report on the Ultra 247 here - http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2000tests/apr1.php
(70 MPH in a 24' boat with a strong small block = :jawdrop: )
The Danas and especially the Lavey's look nice in the pics. Sounds like they'd be worth a look and/or test drive if the right one comes along.
I've had a couple of friends try and steer my away from the Cheetahs, but I like to keep and open mind.
Still love to check out the ride in a cat myself, especially an outboard. There's a guy in San Diego making one called a Sillouhette in 20, 24 & 26's. Price and performance claims sound good but I haven't seen one yet. Anyone here know about this brand?
I'm a geek for the tech specs, and love to hear all suggestions, keep em coming... Thanks again!

H2O
01-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Any comment on Advantage Boats, and the 21 SR in particular. It's on the shorter end of the scale, but I just read that it has a fairly deep vee and is one of the softer riding hulls in it's class. From Hot Boat mag - " "Dreamy handling, excellent workmanship and dazzling cosmetics make this like other Advantage models we've tested before it -among the most impressive packages we tested. One of the best driving boats you'll find in this or any other year."
Seems like it might be a little easier to find in my price range than a Howard?

dumbandyoung
01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
He's looking for an open bow, otherwise I would have directed him to this.
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126435
so he can cut one out for 3k

H2O
01-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Bump for more words of wisdom?

Throttle
01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
gonna throw this one out there for ya, truth is that you may not be happy with a 21 on Havi. Most peeps will want to go bigger before the summer even starts...

BRSTQUEST
01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I have the Ultra 247 and love it. It is a cuddy-bowrider and fits my needs perfect. Sure I would love to go bigger and faster but its perfect for my situation. I can do 70 with a 496mag. It rides decent in the chop at Havasu. Remember anything below 30 is going to feel it in the chop of Havasu or any other large body of water. You might also want to look at Laser and Orian for your size and money constraints.