PDA

View Full Version : East Coast hot boats vs. West Coast hot boats.

funkcity
01-06-2007, 05:45 PM
East Coast hot boats vs. West Coast hot boats.
Having grown up in Michigan and eventually landing in Southern California I am quite taken aback by the different approaches to the finish of the boats.
Typically even today I see gel designs on the east coast that would be common for 70s/80's vintage west coast boats.
The level of in-the-mold gel coating artistry that is demonstrated by seemingly all west coast hot boat manufacturers seems far more advanced than that of the the east coast fraternity... whom make-no-mistake build some very high quality boats.
But going down the list in the SoCal/Arizona ***boating manufacturers .... Lavey, Hallett, Howard, HTM, Nordic, Eliminator, Ultra, Advantage, DCB, Schiada.... They all do some pretty amazing work in the gel.
Why has the east not jumped on board with this kind of artistry??
And yes I know some of the east coast "painted" boats are simply amazing in quality and artistry.... It's the in-the-mold graphics I refer to here.
Comments anyone??

Jbb
01-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Comments anyone??
RD SUX....

Jordy
01-06-2007, 05:52 PM
RD SUX....
The JBB, stop hating!!! :D :D :D
But you are correct, sir. ;)

Jbb
01-06-2007, 05:59 PM
The JBB, stop hating!!! :D :D :D
But you are correct, sir. ;)
But the Jordy, with all due respect........If I am correct......is it still hating......?

Jordy
01-06-2007, 05:59 PM
But the Jordy, with all due respect........If I am correct......is it still hating......?
Hmmm.... Point of parlimentary procedure as you might be onto something. So perhaps I was just trying to work "THE" JBB into something. ;)
As you were. :D

Jbb
01-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Tis a question to ponder.....!

YeLLowBoaT
01-06-2007, 06:07 PM
my guess would be lack of skilled labor. Like custom painting its not a skill you can just pic up over night. I personally hate all of the "flashy" gels I see on most new boats. Then again its thier boat...

beaverretriever
01-06-2007, 06:43 PM
There isnt much that is cooler than that all blue Activator V that I have seen in a couple mags. BTW it is an East Coast boat.

cc322
01-06-2007, 06:47 PM
West coast is better because it rymes...... West Coast Best Coast

randy77zt
01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
i think east coast boats are better in rough water.west coast boats are more about bling.the only boats i have owned are east coast boats.but it depends on what you are using them for.parking in the channel at havasu is more of a social event.it really would bother me to have a plain white boat but it would have to be fast.or put vinyl graphics on it and change it every year.

skygod73
01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
The gel work on the west coast boats is amazing, although some of them look really dated after a few years because of all the copycats. IMHO, they tend to be more trendy/gawdy sometimes. I prefer the lined interiors of the east coast boats, and the cockpits appear more thought out. I love the classic lines of the Halletts out here.

rrrr
01-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Having grown up in Michigan and eventually landing in Southern California I am quite taken aback by the different approaches to the finish of the boats.
Typically even today I see gel designs on the east coast that would be common for 70s/80's vintage west coast boats.
Maybe all of the East coast boats are 70's/80's West coast boats. Is your boat pink and teal? :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-06-2007, 07:44 PM
As long as you don't compare the women. That'll cause some drama around here. :D

Boatcop
01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
West coast is better because it rymes...... West Coast Best Coast
As long as you don't compare the women. That'll cause some drama around here. :D
The rhyming thing still applies.
East Coast, Beast Coast.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-06-2007, 08:03 PM
East Coast, Beast Coast.
Ohhh!!! There it goes!!

Boatcop
01-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Ohhh!!! There it goes!!
West Coast, (fake) Breast Coast.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Lmao!! It was interesting going to Florida and seeing the differences in cultures (most people there are from the northeast).

Big Boys Toy PE857
01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
As a combat veteran of the last East Coast vs. West Coast Hot Boat Forums skirmish, also know as the "Shake Yo Ass" war, I will be contacting other Brothers in Arms to report that our honor has once again been called into question by the West Coast faction. I'm sure that an appropriate volley will be sounded soon from the Right hand side of the map.
PS: We have already fought the best looking women question before. No winner was ever declared.

rrrr
01-06-2007, 09:06 PM
LMAO!!! Did the ladies from the East coast discover shaving yet??? :devil: :D :D

GHT
01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
The level of in-the-mold gel coating artistry that is demonstrated by seemingly all west coast hot boat manufacturers seems far more advanced than that of the the east coast fraternity... whom make-no-mistake build some very high quality boats.
But going down the list in the SoCal/Arizona ***boating manufacturers .... Lavey, Hallett, Howard, HTM, Nordic, Eliminator, Ultra, Advantage, DCB, Schiada.... They all do some pretty amazing work in the gel.
Why has the east not jumped on board with this kind of artistry??
And yes I know some of the east coast "painted" boats are simply amazing in quality and artistry.... It's the in-the-mold graphics I refer to here.
Comments anyone??
Actually this is a very good thread... There are many different styles of boats out there and I have found the East Coast boats "seem" to been more sea worthy than West Coast boats. BUT the West Coast boats are much "seem" to be more user friendly..... Over the years the "gap" appears to be closing and both coast boat are "each coast friendly"...
Just my .02
Two of my favs....
Baja "East Coast"
Sunsation "East Coast"
There are many others..

funkcity
01-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Somehow this thread morphed into a hairy lady thread! Wow!:D
I had posted the exact new thread to the Scream and Fly Forums.
The largely east coast outboard contingency.
It was very interesting to read their reaction....
<<West coast bling
East coast performance>>
Generally it was not too hostile but it could easily veer that way!
All in all I think there is a lot more humor over here!
But wouldn't you just think that someone on the right coast would hire a real gelcoat artist if for no other reason, to be different and maybe generate a new following??

C-2
01-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Yo Reggie, youze wants flames on yo boatÂ…or some gold chains I found on Johnny Nuckles last week?
Fuggedaboutit, gimmies the chains. And some hair cream.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132happy0167-thumb.gifhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132happy0158-thumb.gifhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132happy0167-thumb.gif

out of bounds
01-06-2007, 10:50 PM
ok the way I see it is you got to commpair apples to apples. that is like compairring west coast wine to east cost wine. If you ever been to the other side you would see the difference look at the food???? Look at the diffence in how many chicks have fake boobs on the west cost over the East ??? we out west like the bling the whole metro runs through our blood. As J W say we are chrome whores and we like it fast. if you look at the east cost boats they tend to have square lines were we like things rounned and sharp points and bright colors. oh and HP.the East likes Hp not all the bling
my 2 cents

Moneypitt
01-06-2007, 10:58 PM
OK, which boats are you refering to? Showroom boats, (a couple of hundred that look alike), or actual hot boats, that are one of a kind creations. Big difference. East coast/west coast, makes no difference if you want something that anyone else with the bucks can buy one just like it.....I have seen some very nice eastern boats with fantastic paint jobs, equal to the western, one of a kind creations. The showroom stuff all looks the same to me....Maybe it's a tribal thing......MP

Trailer Park Casanova
01-07-2007, 04:35 AM
I think it's where the money is, and the turnover in boat ownership is - may dictate where the more creative designs will emerge.
More money here in the South West??
If the Florida boating community is considered the East Coast (perhaps considered the South) then maybe that is an East Coast exception.
Other than that,
The difference I mostly see in Fla is they wear sox with their river sandals.

spectras only
01-07-2007, 11:45 AM
What I remember on the topic on custom gelcoating kept popping up in boating magazines decades ago , there were only a handful of gel-coaters
rotating around shops to do the elaborate scheemes . I guess these folks preferred the nice weather [ dryer than florida ]california offered.
With today's technology , climate controlled paint booths etc....this is all changed. I could be wrong ! Maybe more emphasis spent on building the boats bulletproof for the ocean than here on the westcoast :idea: :)

catman-do
01-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I think you should look where the money is at. In Florida they have many nice boats with extravagant paint schemes, and there is tons of money and beautiful weather most of the year. In California same thing. Now you start heading up the seaboards on either cost and the boats go more in favor of yachts vs. performance. I think because the swells, and the temps that they deal with. Then once you get into the central us around LOTO etc... you dont have the higher incomes in most areas you do in california/florida. Those people dont have lakes in which a yacht would be practical, but they also (for the most part) dont have the disposable income to buy those high dollar toys. (i should correct myself on that, because most people in california dont have the disposable income to afford them either, but their houses sure helped them out on the "wanna be baller" factor)

eliminatedsprinter
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I once read an article that said east coast builders prefer to paint, because the east coast's high humidity was not as ideal for gel coating as the west coast's.