PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about getting another Newfoundland

Markos
01-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I might get another one to pal around with Lily. Probably a male, they get HUGE! Lily is 125 lbs but her dad was 185 lbs.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
They are great dogs. . . but leave behind landmines. :D

Havasu1986
01-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I might get another one to pal around with Lily. Probably a male, they get HUGE! Lily is 125 lbs but her dad was 185 lbs.
Now you will really hurt yourself trying to get 2 dogs in the boat from deep water. Have you found a ramp yet.

H20Advantage
01-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Here is a good solution for getting big dogs in and out of the boat. We have two french mastiffs and they love it. No extra flotation devices needed.
They are available at West Marine.
http://www.pawsaboard.com/ladder.asp
http://www.pawsaboard.com/Images/PA_Ladder_Pic1.jpg http://images.westmarine.com/full/7895915.jpg

DaveA
01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Right on about Newfies. Our Molly is 6 yrs old now, still loves boating & swimming (out in the lake chasing sticks again this afternoon) and is 155 at last week's vet visit. Doc sez don't let her get any heavier, tho, at her age. We got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel 2 yrs ago as company for her and a lap dawg for the wife. After raising that kid, wifes sez she'd rather have 3 more Newfs instead of our Spaniel with the Jack Russell personality! The two of them get along great- ole Casey loves her....his big black girlfriend....
Thanks for the link on the Doggy Boat Ladder. Molly won't go off the boat or dock, but this may be the answer to getting back in/on the boat from the shore. She IS a bit much to pick up and carry....:D

Markos
01-06-2007, 09:56 PM
They really are great dogs, very mellow and smart. You have to get used to hair and Drool though! Poops are easy to find.

Not So Fast
01-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Had one big dog in our life, St. Bernard at 185lbs. No thanks, shed like a mother and took craps so big that the garbage man refused them, probably 20 lbs a week. Little dogs = little poops:idea: NSF

Not So Fast
01-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Did I mention DROOL, holy crap, he would shake his big head and they would go flying and the fly's loved it. Bad experience all around for us. NSF

2Driver
01-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Check your vacuum cleaner bag. You could probably just build another from the contents :D :D

Not So Fast
01-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Check your vacuum cleaner bag. You could probably just build another from the contents :D :D
You are correct on that! Your avatar looks like the MoonRidge slips, is it? We had a place in there many years ago. NSF

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-07-2007, 09:33 AM
LMAO!

AZKC
01-07-2007, 10:59 AM
We had one for about 12 years and poor girl(Onyx) was just wore out:( had to put her down, sad day for our family. But what a great dog:) it was a bit hot for her during the Summer but she stayed inside alot and had her own wading pool:D But like everybdy sasys plenty of hair and poopies:sqeyes: