PDA

View Full Version : Valve lash specs.

hondajoey
01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
does anyone have an idea on what you would set the valve lash on a soild lifter cam? i dont know what the cam manufacture is or what specs on the cam, any ideas would be helpful
thanks

Fiat48
01-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Real tough as it varies. Is the cam out of the motor?

River Rat 005
01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Most cams are .024 to .026 hot. I usually set mine at .020 cold.

hondajoey
01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
no its currently a good running motor just sounds like it needs to be adjusted, i can hear a little valve train noise the last time out and wanted to adjust to be shure, but i bought the boat and motor a while ago and didnt get any specs on the motor, its a BBC with a 6/71 blower, it still runs like a champ so i didnt want to tear it down yet,

Moneypitt
01-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Open the covers and start gaging the valves as though your were going to adjust them. Record your readings as you go thru the sequence. Look to see where the majority are set, and correct the ones that need to be corrected. Valve lash is pretty forgiving, (+/- .005), but you are looking for equal settings throughout to balance the power per cylinder. After correcting any "loose" ones your valvetrain should have a constant sound to it. Beware, the first indication of a lobe going away is an excessive lash, and/or a rocker or two that don't have the movement of the others, so watch all the rockers work before messing with adjustments.............MP