PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Thunderbutt
05-13-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm tired of polishing aluminum so I'm going to have every thing on the motor and in the motor compartment Powder coated. What do you think? Also I'm putting the motor back togeather. I use to have the electronic oil temp sender in the pan, I have since changed to a mechanical gauge, should I keep it there are put it above the filter? Oil pressure I got out of the oil journal hole above #1 Cylinder, is there a better place?

HavasuDreamin'
05-13-2002, 05:00 PM
You may want to check into an almost chrome or chrome type color for powder coating if you want that look. I remember from the powder coating thread on jet-tech, that an almost chrome color is available. Good Luck!

Snowboat
05-13-2002, 06:21 PM
I have used powdercoating and it looks nice and is not too expensive. If I lived near an anodizing shop I think that is the way to go. It doesn't chip and will last if not left in the sun. Look at gofastracers's purple anodizing on his flat, tits!

GofastRacer
05-13-2002, 07:15 PM
Powdercoating is cool, the only thing that you have to be careful of is, you can't have any sharp edges, it will not stick, a friend of mine did that, looked great until he touched a sharp edge, then he had shiny spots...If you go the anodizing route (which I favor), make sure it's "hard anodized", it will hold up a lot longer..Also the trick to make anodizing look good is the polishing....This is my experience.......
Thanks for the compliment Snowboat......
[This message has been edited by GofastRacer (edited May 13, 2002).]

PGF545
05-13-2002, 07:57 PM
We have done both on our Pro Gasser, there are several new colors in Powder coating that look just like anodize. We did several items with one of those Eastwood units at the house and it looked like it had been anodized. I would agree with gofast about polishing it first if you anodize, that makes it look deep and smooth. I can't tell you which will last longer because we are hard on both...lol. I personally like the anodize better, I guess just a preference. If you are going to be in the sun alot then try to stay away from Red because it fads FAST....we only have the boat out in the sun at the races (and then it is under an awning until we run) and ours faded quite a bit in only one season.
Bernie

GofastRacer
05-13-2002, 08:05 PM
PGF, you are right, red does go away faster but if you don't have it hard anodized, it goes away like right now when it's in the sun, learned that the hard way...LOL.......