PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Detailing Guru's

ECeptor
01-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I just bought a 2007 Silverado. What wax would you recommend for brand new paint? What would you use to clean/prepare it?
I'm not looking for a show quality shine, rather just looking for a good protective coat that will also, hopefully, make it a little easier to clean. Truck is black if that matters.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

INSman
01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
send a PM to BigDoug and maybe you can talk him into parting with some of his Top Secret formula :D

RitcheyRch
01-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I am not a detailer and have tried numerous waxes and polishes. I have found that Collinite 845 is a good wax and seems to last quite awhile.

Jbb
01-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I like this best...
DWG (http://www.dwgint.com/xauto.shtml?distributorId=&Email=#)

Baja Big Dog
01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Yea...its called a car wash!!!:jawdrop:

BigDoug
01-07-2007, 09:34 PM
You said Black ? yes they do make special waxes just for this color, others will leave swirl marks, we have a wax made for us that is for black colors and is 100% pure carnuba, i can go on and on about it.
I would use our wax and then reapply with the collinite as a top barrier for a little longer lasting shine.......................just remember wax only last no more than 2 months and being a black vehicle your care is stepped up that much more for a continous shine and more frequent care. (car washes, details etc.)
If your interested in our products let me know or you can pm me with any questions.........i'll help you out.
SOCALDETAIL1 (mark) has a wealth of knowledge too.
Thanks, Doug. 928-230-1992 :)

GasGuzzler
01-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Go back to the dealer and tell them you want your free shit. Bottle of wash, clearcoat protector, tire shine and interior cleaner. My dealer hooked me up with it.

koyota93
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I used to be a detailer. I would reccommend you clay bar the truck, then use Meguiar's NXT Tech wax. This wax is readily available and is easy to use for consumers. If you have light swirls, we use Meguiar's #83, 85 (I think) these are part of there Professional line so it is harder to find and use. You will need a buffer to use those. Anyways just regular useage of clay bar and wax will keep your truck looking great.

BigDoug
01-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Don't use a buffer to put wax on !!!! this is another avenue for creating swirl marks................hand wax or use a orbital buffer.
Black cars will show everything, take your time and do this process in your garage or cooler environment and not direct sun light, unless you really want to work hard !! :)

INSman
01-07-2007, 10:19 PM
You said Black ? yes they do make special waxes just for this color, others will leave swirl marks, we have a wax made for us that is for black colors and is 100% pure carnuba, i can go on and on about it.
I would use our wax and then reapply with the collinite as a top barrier for a little longer lasting shine.......................just remember wax only last no more than 2 months and being a black vehicle your care is stepped up that much more for a continous shine and more frequent care. (car washes, details etc.)
If your interested in our products let me know or you can pm me with any questions.........i'll help you out.
First I have heard of this "Collinite", what else aren't you telling me partner ?!? :idea: :D

BigDoug
01-07-2007, 10:26 PM
If you would just schedule a time of when you came to town so we can meet, maybe we can put something together eh !!! :D

SOCALDETAIL1
01-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Doug is right use a 100% Carnuba it will make black look like glass. And dont buff it unless you know what your doing, buffing and not leaving swirlmarks is an art form. Oh and dont wipe it down when its dusty you will get what we call spider webs on the clear. Mark

INSman
01-07-2007, 10:41 PM
If you would just schedule a time of when you came to town so we can meet, maybe we can put something together eh !!! :D
Very soon grasshopper !!! Need to coordinate with my partner in a few other businesses that may involve you as well, George.

LOWRIVER2
01-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Blue clay bar, then #20 Meguiars Polymer teflon
You can order it online from them or at many detail supply shops.
Micro fiber cloth always and a small orbital polisher will work fine with new cars/ Get a GEM orbital if you have older stuff or more than a few vehicles.

ECeptor
01-08-2007, 03:37 PM
What are the pros and cons of polymer teflon vs carnuba?
I'd trade long term protection for deep shine if that's the difference.

RitcheyRch
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I've been using Collinite for years. It was developed for use on high power electrical lines to prevent them from arching in the wind.
http://www.waxbytes.com/cycle.html
First I have heard of this "Collinite", what else aren't you telling me partner ?!? :idea: :D

ChumpChange
01-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Dri Wash is the only product that has been on my brand new car since I got it. It is amazing how much better the black looks on the car that I dry wash verse my other black car that I don't. The more expensive car gets the dry wash.

INSman
01-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Dri Wash is the only product that has been on my brand new car since I got it. It is amazing how much better the black looks on the car that I dry wash verse my other black car that I don't. The more expensive car gets the dry wash.
You might want to add that the car in question is a new Porsche !! :D
p.s. Call me as I am with Countrywide (Insurance) now and want to chat about a few things

ChumpChange
01-08-2007, 04:08 PM
You might want to add that the car in question is a new Porsche !! :D
Yes. I was leary at first to try it on the Porsche(I had used it on my Mustang for years) but was assured by the owner of Dri Wash that it would not hurt the paint. It hasn't. The product is awesome and I'd recommend it to anybody, even with a black car.
Now if it could only clean rims. Those monster cross drilled rotors sure make a mess of them.

ChumpChange
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
p.s. Call me as I am with Countrywide (Insurance) now and want to chat about a few things
p.s. It seems I only have your old number. Pat answered.

INSman
01-08-2007, 09:09 PM
p.s. It seems I only have your old number. Pat answered.
Pat, yikes !!??!! :2purples:
I'll PM you my cell number and new e-mail address

LOWRIVER2
01-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Main difference in teflon over carnuba is longevity. Teflon will not give out as nice of a "shine" but lasts 2-3 times longer and most pollutants don't penetrate it as easily as traditional waxes. Most teflons can be applied in direct sunlight or warmer climates if necessary. It's definately a good application for daily drivers and vehicles that stay outdoors at night (ie: most trucks).