PDA

View Full Version : Hondo's

funnycarmike
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey guys and gals, looking for opinions on Hondo's. To make a long story short, I have been looking for a runner bottom for a while now. Originally, I was looking for a "project", something complete less motor that I could learn on and have some fun re-doing. I was primarily looking for a Cole or a Canyon gor various reasons, however, I have found a '80 Hondo 5/8" runner t-deck. This boat is not a "project" but rather a very nice beautiful boat. Not exactly what I was looking for, however, I know in the long run I will be money ahead if I bought this one complete. That said, I was just looking for input on Hondo's in general from the vast wealth of knowledge here. I know the Hondo's have a proven record and I know this one is heavier than say a Cole which is o.k. because it will primarily be a lake hot rod. I appreciate any input, :idea: :idea: :idea: .....Thanks!!

fc-pilot
01-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Mike, we will let you buy the boat as long as we will still see you in your hot wheels. If you are planning to make a change then we will have to come over and have an intervention. :mad:
Paul

adjones419
01-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I have a 1976 Hondo T-deck runner that I race in the 10 second class. Straight as can be, fun to drive, new beautiful paint, a good boat. Mine is on the lighter side though, around 475 pounds.
You should have a good boat on your hands...

funnycarmike
01-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey Paul, How's the Miller clan do'n? No need for intervention, I am quite fond of the "hot wheels", thank you. But if intervention is what it takes to get you guys to take a road trip to beautiful northern CA....bring it on! We'll have beer and a B.B.Q. for ya! Hey, heres a thought, you guys need to plan a trip this year for new years at camp far west. Bring the gang and the boat, and you are more than welcome to stay at our house. We live about 40 minutes from the lake. Kick it around, that would be a lot of fun!!!:

Carnivalride
01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
funnycarmike,
I have a 78 Hondo 5/8 runner bottom, it's on the heavier side but it has been an excellent lake/bracket boat. I've owned it 14yrs and I'm still putting the final touches on it from the rebuild. If you set them up (or if they were set up) right they can easily run in the 100mph range with very mild power. It ran mid 11's in the low mid 90's with a 9:1 flat tappet cam'd .030" over 454 with a single 850 and iron heads. Runs low 100's now with same engine and 12.5:1 compression so 10.0's should be easy especially with a roller or better heads.
http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphotos&userid=512
Loren

Lefty
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Funnycar I think your pretty safe with all three of those. The thing I would look for is the condition of the floor. The are lot of work to repair. Hope the Cole guys don't get mad at me, but just about every tr 2 you see has stress cracks at the strut area. Those aren't to big of a deal I guess, it is when the plywood gets soggy in the floor that you can have real problems.

77charger
01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
I drove one for one season at the races it was a heavier lay up.Boat handled really good easy to drive and a good all around boat i went 9.50s at 105-107 with it new tunnel ram and bigger carbs it went to 8.96.Also used on the lakes and river with no probs or stress cracks either
Wont be as fast or quick as a canyon with the same power though but i am sure you already know that.

Fiat48
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Nothing wrong with a Hondo. Go check it out and if in good shape and you like the boat go for it.
Comes down the road you want more speed you can always have Mettler do the bottom. Nothing wrong with a heavy boat and preferred if you use blown power.

HONDOG
01-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Been driving the same '77 Hondo 5/8 runner for 20 years. It has been a great boat and the more HP I put in it the better it handles. It is my first and last flatbottom.

funnycarmike
01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys for your response, I really appreciate it and would like to hear more if anybody else wants to chime in. I guess I just want to be sure of my choice, when I build or buy something it is usually for the long haul, unlike..........hmmmm........MOUZER!!!! ........Sorry Mouz. just could'nt resist:D :D :D

HONDOUGH
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Funnycar, I own a 1980 hondo runner and love it!!! If it is clean go for it. Good luck!

D Ginny
01-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Mike I have a 78 Hondo T deck runner and I love it. If the floor is in good shape and the rset of is in good condition I would buy it