PDA

View Full Version : which programmer?

cactusgolfcarts
01-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I have a Chevy 06 LBZ crew cab, duallie. I already installed the Banks exhaust & ram-air intake. These made a noticeable difference and I am pleased with the performance and a little better mpg. I don't want to run quarter miles or any types of racing. I use it to tow all of the time and want a little better performance without worrying about tearing anything up. Which programmer would be best?

curtis73
01-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Depending on how heavy the trailer is, I would suggest an EGT meter if you're doing any programmer. The cat back will reduce EGT but the meter will make sure it stays low enough.
I like the Quadzilla tuner. Tuner, catback, intake, and a couple other little goodies can put 900+ lb-ft to the wheels on an LBZ

shippingguy
01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I have a Chevy 06 LBZ crew cab, duallie. I already installed the Banks exhaust & ram-air intake. These made a noticeable difference and I am pleased with the performance and a little better mpg. I don't want to run quarter miles or any types of racing. I use it to tow all of the time and want a little better performance without worrying about tearing anything up. Which programmer would be best?
I have the Bully Dog Power Pup set on Tow/Econ and it is great. I have an air intake and the RBP cat-back exhaust and it runs great. I have a CST 8" lift with 37's. I like the Bully Dog because you can recalibrate the speedo for tire size. Some of the others do to that are out there, but I got one of the first LBZ's and there were not many to choose from at the time.

sigepmock
01-10-2007, 04:09 PM
I think the Diablo Sport Predator set on the 40HP tune is the safest bet. They run a very safe and conservative tune and pay very good attention to keeping the EGT's Low.
I run my truck on the 65hp setting all the time even towing the boat at about 8000lbs with no issues. On the motorhome with the DMax I keep it on the 40HP tune. Lots of good safe power.
I suggest a good free flowing exhaust and an EGT guage, might as well do a boost guage at the same time to see when the motor is under load.
I've played with quite a few of the tuners including the Bully Dog, PPE, and Hypertech and as I said above the Diablo Sport Predator seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Good Luck,
Chris

cactusgolfcarts
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Most of the trailers I pull, including the boat trailer, weigh +/- 8-10,000lb's. I am thinking about a programmer with PDA so I don't have to install gauges. Any thoughts on the PDA's? The truck is 2wd so I don't have to worry about recalibrating for larger tires. Thanks. Rob

sigepmock
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Most of the trailers I pull, including the boat trailer, weigh +/- 8-10,000lb's. I am thinking about a programmer with PDA so I don't have to install gauges. Any thoughts on the PDA's? The truck is 2wd so I don't have to worry about recalibrating for larger tires. Thanks. Rob
Not a big fan of the Banks PDA, don't know of any others. Getting good, true reading of EGT's is key. On our motorhome on the Kodiak 5500 chasis I installed the EGT guage and a new Trans temp guage. The stock GM one was way off and very slow/delayed. There are lots of cool mounts out there now to fit the guages cleanly if that's you're worry. Like I said above I run the 40 HP tune on the motorhome and we're bumping the 22,000lb GVWR every trip and so far zero problems in over a year.

dumbandyoung
01-11-2007, 07:03 PM
i think the banks pda is too big and is made to be in the way. the should make a cool pod for it ..uh oh.. business idea?? haha jk!

IMPATIENT 1
01-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I think the Diablo Sport Predator set on the 40HP tune is the safest bet. They run a very safe and conservative tune and pay very good attention to keeping the EGT's Low.
I run my truck on the 65hp setting all the time even towing the boat at about 8000lbs with no issues. On the motorhome with the DMax I keep it on the 40HP tune. Lots of good safe power.
I suggest a good free flowing exhaust and an EGT guage, might as well do a boost guage at the same time to see when the motor is under load.
I've played with quite a few of the tuners including the Bully Dog, PPE, and Hypertech and as I said above the Diablo Sport Predator seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Good Luck,
Chris
i like diablo too, they're cheap, and give lots of power! if you've already upgraded the exhaust, go diablo. we order ours from the company in okla. city and they've been sellin them to us for 250.00 including shipping. i installed 1 on a new 07 dually 4wd longbed 4dr and he could smoke the back tires just on the medium setting!! 140hp and 240ft lbs of torque added on max setting.

INSman
01-11-2007, 08:38 PM
I am only gonna' say this one time !!
The new Edge EVO is the shit !!! (3) settings, plugs into service port in cab of truck so it can easily be taken out prior to dealer service visit, monitors EGT with the included probe, recalulates speedo with tire dimension input, reads and CLEARS any codes that may come up, adjust the top speed max to 200MPH and all that for like $425 or so. Does all the other normal crap too...
Don't waste you time with anything else :D
check here for feedback and info:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=146

LHC30Victory
01-12-2007, 09:36 AM
This suggestion may be more than you are looking for but the best ive seen is EFI Live. Links can be found at diesel place.com. Full control of the factory computers, no add ons and other cool features. Gauges (egt and boost) are almost always required if you change from factory....

INSman
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
This suggestion may be more than you are looking for but the best ive seen is EFI Live. Links can be found at diesel place.com. Full control of the factory computers, no add ons and other cool features. Gauges (egt and boost) are almost always required if you change from factory....
These guys at EFI must be brain washing you TED !!! :eek: :D

LOWRIVER2
01-12-2007, 01:06 PM
All programmers mentioned here are great.
I put in a RBP programmer with 3 stage/ 50 hp/150 lbs. torque at each stage. I run on stage one as I don't plan on beefing the Allison yet. I tow a 30 ft. 12k lb toy box and a 13k lb. Cat 268B with cold planer at times. Truck pulls great even after addiing 35's. I put an RBP turbo back / no muffler and it runs great. Just get the blocker plate/finger stick if you delete the muffler or cat. Good luck, and have fun not trying to stay out of the throttle, makes the truck launch hard when you want to.

JakeC.
01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I work at a gm dealership in palmdale ca. as a diesel technition and have driven the trucks with just about every different aftermarket programmer there is for them and they are all good in my opinion. every one of then wakes the truck write up and increases torque like no tomarrow. the only disadvantage ive seen with after market programmers is they 1. void the drivetrain warranty. 2. they are a lot harder on the injectors. I have seen the same trucks with tunners back a number if times with bad injectors, but trucks without them will go maybe a couple of years without needing injectors. except on the 06, I have not done any injectors on the 06 since the redisigned the injectors, so I cant say what a tunner might do on a 06 or newer.

AJS772
01-18-2007, 05:35 AM
I am only gonna' say this one time !!
The new Edge EVO is the shit !!! (3) settings, plugs into service port in cab of truck so it can easily be taken out prior to dealer service visit, monitors EGT with the included probe, recalulates speedo with tire dimension input, reads and CLEARS any codes that may come up, adjust the top speed max to 200MPH and all that for like $425 or so. Does all the other normal crap too...
Don't waste you time with anything else :D
check here for feedback and info:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=146
I have to agree with the evo. Awesome power and gauges in one unit, not to mention you can set a warning for your egt's. I had been beta testing it prior to release with no problems at all. :)