PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Mussels At Lake Mead!

Boatcop
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Posted this yesterday on "another" boating site. It's important enough to re-post here. If you want more info, click on the link in the quote. That will explain it all.
No joke, people. This is a SERIOUS problem.
Zebra mussels have been found at Lake Mead. Today I received the following email from Wen Baldwin of the Lake Mead Boat owners association.
Live zebra mussels were found Saturday, January 6th, 2007 at Las Vegas Boat Harbor by an alert marina employee while repairing wind damage to a tire breakwater. One was found on a cable anchoring the breakwater. Subsequently, more were found on the tires above. I then checked my substrate which is located approximately 50 yards away and found two smaller live zebra mussels on it. (See pictures)
When I left Las Vegas Boat Harbor, I went to Lake Mead Marina and checked the substrate there. Sad to say I found one there on the line to the substrate. Neither substrate had zms on them when they were checked in November.
NPS divers will be diving Tuesday AM to try to evaluate the extent of colonization. I will keep you updated.
This is bad news for Lake Mead and even worse news for the entire West. Lake Mead is essentially a thousand miles from the nearest confirmed population of Dreissena polymorpha in the United States. With a potential jump range of 1000 miles, nowhere is safe.
Pictures and status reports will be posted on-line at
http://www.100thMeridian.org.
This is extremely bad news for us, not only on the River, but in the entire west. Zebra mussels clog pump intakes and piping, foul turbines, and generally screw up the whole ecosystem on the lakes and rivers. They will also clog engine and drive cooling passages.
Since Southern California, Las Vegas and Arizona get their water from the Colorado River system through pumps and piping, and the western power grid uses the electric power turbines of Hoover, Davis, and Parker Dam (and to a lesser extent Headgate Dam at Parker) this is a biological timebomb, with the capacity to cripple the water infrastructure of the entire southwest.
The Zebra mussel first came to the US from Europe in water ballast on ships using the Great Lakes. They were then transported to other eastern and mid-west Lakes by unwitting boaters in blige water and engine/drive system, hulls of pontoon/house boats, etc. In the larvae form they are almost microscopic, and cling to drives, props, rudders, engine/drive passages, etc.
They have no known predators in the US.
We have tried to stop the spread at the 100 longitude (hence the name "100th Meridian", and have aggressive inspection processes for out of state boats on Lake Mead and other areas.
Apparently we have failed.

OnlyMoney
01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
This is terrible news. :( I guess we didn't zap the zebra. Thanks for posting this.

RitcheyRch
01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Definitely not good news.

Hardly Satisfied
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
not good news at all

SJP
01-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Before I moved west I lived on lake in Central New York tied into the Great Lakes System. When Zebra mussels were first introduced as stated in the article many like BC expressed serious concern "killer bees migrating" etc etc. Everyone was sketched on our lake and tons of pure speculation ensued. Here is how everything has shaked out of the past 12 years and some commentary on how it will apply to us here and now.
The Good:
* The water quality actually improved drastically
* Did not effect performance boaters once so ever. These things attach to rocks and bouys and stationary items in the water and not to each other. You will not run over schools of zebra mussells. They are not floating randomly in the water, and more likely than not jets/impellers will not be affected.
The Bad:
* If you your boat stays in a slip all season they may attach to your drive = more maintance. If you pull your boat out of the water at the end of the day, weekend or week (99% of people reading this post). You are all good - no worries.
* As BC stated they are here, it has been impossible to stop them speading back east (we tried), how they effect the power turnbines and grates - not sure. At home the river lock system still is operational.
The Ugly:
* They do randomly attach to rocks. Camping at Mead, Powell, Mohave is going to take a little getting used to. They are as sharp as razors. Barefeet - slice, dive in the water and scrape bottom - still have a few scares from swimming as kid.
Anyway as they spread and hysteria sets in I will be looking for good boat deals :) We can/will coexist and there is not much we can do to change it.

Froggystyle
01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
It could be bad information, but I heard from a credible source that the only things that can kill these things is unmuffled boats, high speed boat traffic and two stroke oil in exhaust. The problem is, these three key components are slowly being phased out of our Western lakes, and you see a commensurate rise in the Zebra Mussel population as a result.
Stop the madness Alan! We need to get the mufflers out of our exhaust to save our infrastructure! Now is the time to act. Not later. We can't afford to.
Just an idea... ;)

beaverretriever
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Before I moved west I lived on lake in Central New York tied into the Great Lakes System. When Zebra mussels were first introduced as stated in the article many like BC expressed serious concern "killer bees migrating" etc etc. Everyone was sketched on our lake and tons of pure speculation ensued. Here is how everything has shaked out of the past 12 years and some commentary on how it will apply to us here and now.
The Good:
* Did not effect performance boaters once so ever. These things attach to rocks and bouys and stationary items in the water and not to each other. You will not run over schools of zebra mussells. They are not floating randomly in the water, and more likely than not jets/impellers will not be affected.
The Bad:
* If you your boat stays in a slip all season they may attach to your drive = more maintance. If you pull your boat out of the water at the end of the day, weekend or week (99% of people reading this post). You are all good - no worries.
* As BC stated they are here, it has been impossible to stop them speading back east (we tried), how they effect the power turnbines and grates - not sure. At home the river lock system still is operational.
The Ugly:
* They do randomly attach to rocks. Camping at Mead, Powell, Mohave is going to take a little getting used to. They are as sharp as razors. Barefeet - slice, dive in the water and scrape bottom - still have a few scares from swimming as kid.
Anyway as they spread and hysteria sets in I will be looking for good boat deals :) We can/will coexist and there is not much we can do to change it.
Basically that is what my father told me.
Are these things edible? If so, Im starting a new business. :D

RitcheyRch
01-10-2007, 01:43 PM
So, from my quick research, they eat the algea, the water gets clearer and the fish population suffers so all the fishermen leave.
Where can I get my hands on some of these??
Just kidding. :D

Scream
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
It could be bad information, but I heard from a credible source that the only things that can kill these things is unmuffled boats, high speed boat traffic and two stroke oil in exhaust. The problem is, these three key components are slowly being phased out of our Western lakes, and you see a commensurate rise in the Zebra Mussel population as a result.
Stop the madness Alan! We need to get the mufflers out of our exhaust to save our infrastructure! Now is the time to act. Not later. We can't afford to.
Just an idea... ;)
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
What I want to know is, why would anyone intentionally mislead the NPS rangers when they ask EVERY SINGLE BOATER "Have you been boating East of the mississippi in the last year?"
Scream

Powerquestboy
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Dont the shells from these little bastards eventually take over our sandy beaches and turn them into shale type beaches instead of the soft sand we are use to?

riverbound
01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Just an idea... ;)
LMAO.. :D

SJP
01-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Dont the shells from these little bastards eventually take over our sandy beaches and turn them into shale type beaches instead of the soft sand we are use to?
No will not be able to attach to sand - no if there is a large rock sticking out there could be a few. We had clams buried in the sand and when you dug them out sometimes they would have one or two attached. The beaches will be all good.
Remember that thread of awhile back which pictured the sandbar growing over with vegitation. Someone posted possible weed whacker / hatchet remedies. No need - we more than likely will just need to sit back and watch the sandbar come back without weeds / vegitation. This maybe a good thing or a bad thing depending on which side of the fence you sit on.

2Driver
01-10-2007, 02:29 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21709&stc=1&d=1168468140

Boatcop
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
You guys can joke all you want. But they do attach to the insides of piping, pumps and hydo-turbines, eventually clogging them.
Yes, they can be manually cleaned out. But that would result in Millions, perhaps Billions, of dollars more in facility maintenance for Metropolitan water District, CAP, Irrigation systems, municipal water system (as far away as LA. San Diego, Tucson, and everything in betwen), storage tanks, etc.
Towable boats may not be affected, since they don't have a chance to affix themselves to the hull or engine. However, you CAN transport them (the larvae) from one point to another in bilge water or stagnant water in engines or drives. Pull the boat out at Mead, drive down to Havasu or Parker (or Pleasant, Apache, Tahoe, Elsinore, Arrowhead, whatever) in the next couple of months or so, and you have succeeded in spreading the species.
But it's not just a boater issue.
How much is your water bill, now? State Taxes? County Taxes? Local City Taxes?
And what happens when they quadruple or is go up by ten times to cover the costs of the constant clean-outs. They grow and colonize awfully fast. By the time all the piping, pumps, tanks, etc. are cleaned out, it's time to go back to the start and do it all over again.

Froggystyle
01-10-2007, 03:39 PM
You guys can joke all you want. But they do attach to the insides of piping, pumps and hydo-turbines, eventually clogging them.
Yes, they can be manually cleaned out. But that would result in Millions, perhaps Billions, of dollars more in facility maintenance for Metropolitan water District, CAP, Irrigation systems, municipal water system (as far away as LA. San Diego, Tucson, and everything in betwen), storage tanks, etc.
Towable boats may not be affected, since they don't have a chance to affix themselves to the hull or engine. However, you CAN transport them (the larvae) from one point to another in bilge water or stagnant water in engines or drives. Pull the boat out at Mead, drive down to Havasu or Parker (or Pleasant, Apache, Tahoe, Elsinore, Arrowhead, whatever) in the next couple of months or so, and you have succeeded in spreading the species.
But it's not just a boater issue.
How much is your water bill, now? State Taxes? County Taxes? Local City Taxes?
And what happens when they quadruple or is go up by ten times to cover the costs of the constant clean-outs. They grow and colonize awfully fast. By the time all the piping, pumps, tanks, etc. are cleaned out, it's time to go back to the start and do it all over again.
Gotcha... sky is falling. Check.
What do we do? You should know that if we don't have something to do about it we make fun of it. That's our deal. We do it if we don't understand it too.
Seriously. What do we do about it?

Boatcop
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
What do we do? You should know that if we don't have something to do about it we make fun of it. That's our deal. We do it if we don't understand it too.
Seriously. What do we do about it?
You can start with these processes:
How can boaters help prevent the spread of zebra mussels:
These aquatic nuisance species can hitch a ride on our clothing, boats, and items used in the water. When visitors go to another lake or stream, the nuisance species can be released. And, if the conditions are right, these introduced species can become established and create drastic results. By following a simple procedure each time boaters leave the water, they can help stop aquatic hitchhikers. Knowing which waters contain nuisance hitchhikers is not as important ---- as doing the procedure every time boaters leave any lake, stream or coastal area:
*Remove any visible mud, plants, fish or animals before transporting equipment
*Eliminate water from equipment before transporting
*Clean and dry anything that came in contact with water (Boats, trailers, equipment, clothing, dogs, etc.)
*Never release plants, fish or animals into a body of water unless they came out of that body of water.
Additional information can be found at the www.protectyourwaters.net and www.100thMeridian.org.
Now that they've been discovered in Lake Mead, you MUST follow those procedures before going to another body of water.

JB in so cal
01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Now that they've been discovered in Lake Mead, you MUST follow those procedures before going to another body of water.
I'll assume that since shiat rolls downhill so do these little guys, right? If Mead dumps into Mojave and Mojave dumps into Havasu...There's REALLY not a lot that CAN be done:idea:

Boatcop
01-10-2007, 04:53 PM
I'll assume that since shiat rolls downhill so do these little guys, right? If Mead dumps into Mojave and Mojave dumps into Havasu...There's REALLY not a lot that CAN be done:idea:
That's pretty much it, as far as the Colorado River is concerned.
But we CAN do everything we can to keep from spreading it to other, non-connected waterways. (Tahoe, Elsinore, Isabella, Roosevelt, Apache, Arrowhead, Piru, etc.)

BajaMike
01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
That's interesting.....I never worry about flushing my engine when I run in fresh water. Could they spread from Havasu or Mead to the Pacific Ocean, or are they already there??:confused:
:idea:

JB in so cal
01-10-2007, 05:03 PM
That's pretty much it, as far as the Colorado River is concerned.
But we CAN do everything we can to keep from spreading it to other, non-connected waterways. (Tahoe, Elsinore, Isabella, Roosevelt, Apache, Arrowhead, Piru, etc.)
Do they eat green gravy-water?

brianthomas
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Once they are found it is too late. The larva can even be brought to new bodies of water on the feet of migrating birds. We got them here on the Mississippi around 15 years ago. As their life cycle ends they end up on the beaches by the billions and are not comfortable to walk on but won't cut your feet. Or at least have not yet. The water is clearer and we seem to be on a downward cycle with them. For the past few years hoop nets and box traps used for commercial fishing have had only a small fraction of the zebras they had 10 years ago. My boat stays in the water for 7 months each season and there were 6-8 zebras on each trim tab but nowhere else. I rarely leave it sit for more than 10 days without running it though.
Most of the cities along the Mississippi draw water from the river for drinking water and they have not had near the problems they anticipated. You still don't want them in your lake or river but other than fouling the beaches they are not nearly as big a pain as we anticipated.

2Driver
01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
SNAP!
That's going to get you a "saftey Check" next time you are running Parker :D :eek:

Boatcop
01-10-2007, 05:21 PM
That's interesting.....I never worry about flushing my engine when I run in fresh water. Could they spread from Havasu or Mead to the Pacific Ocean, or are they already there??:confused:
:idea:
They are fresh water mollusks, so contaminating the ocean isn't an issue.
However, as far as affecting public utilities, consider this impact of the mussels:
*Affected municipalities and industries, using large volumes of Great Lakes water, have spent approximately $360,000 each per year on zebra mussel control;
*Small municipalities averaged $20,000 each per year on control efforts.
*Nuclear power plants averaged an additional $825,000 each of additional costs per year for zebra mussel control.
Tack those costs onto what you're already paying in water and electrical costs.
Not to mention the downtime, while those systems are beng serviced.

Froggystyle
01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
SNAP!
That's going to get you a "saftey Check" next time you are running Parker :D :eek:
We get that anyway. Alan knows where the bottomless cooler of Dr. Pepper is kept... ;)
Safety checks I can handle... :D

Seadog
01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
They are just one of the invasive species that are going to cost people a lot of money. Zebra mussels can cost a lot of money to utilities and will cause a lot of problems for them and other agencies. The mussels will change the nature of the water and deprive native species of food, either directly, or by damaging their food source. They are unique in that they can attach to each other. There are many mussel species, but only the zebras can build up to where they can sink buoys, floating docks, and other things. They can also shutdown water supplies by blocking the intake pipes, no matter how large.

2Driver
01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Dr Pepper...that good to know. I'll keep some on hand ;)

Boatcop
01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Dr Pepper...that good to know. I'll keep some on hand ;)
Actually Ice Tea is my thing.
Try and throw a Pepper my way and you WILL be going to jail. :mad:

shueman
01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Scary stuff...:eek: Sushi anyone...:rolleyes: :D

2Driver
01-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Before it was just a dozen Boatcop t-shirts. Now Ice tea? This is getting expensive. I may have to rethink the whole sport. :D :D

SmokinLowriderSS
01-10-2007, 07:07 PM
We've had them at some places in Ks for a decade or more, including the lake I frequent.
They ARE cutting sharp. Slashed my leg pretty good on some last year on a steep-edged rock I brushed against. 4" slashes, 3 or 4 of them. Fortunately with my jet, I don't worry much about spreading them. As little water as it holds, it dries out before I get to any other lakes the next weekend and my engine block is over 170* when she shuts down on the trailer so anything in the block gets par-boiled for quite a lethal little while.
Sorry to hear they finally made it out west guys, especially into Mead.

JB in so cal
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm a pepper, you're a pepper. Don't you want to be a pepper, too?:)

spectras only
01-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Did Tom Brown or Hanson visit Lake Mead recently with their boats ? :idea: :) As you can see ,it was a growing problem back in 1998 in your country .
http://www.sgnis.org/publicat/wianko.htm

spectras only
01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
here's the fix http://www.zeestop.com/

77Woodbridge
01-10-2007, 08:40 PM
The Good:
The Bad:
The Ugly:
Ditto - you'll be fine

V-DRIVE VIDEO
01-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Just an idea... ;)
That was funny!!!:D
How can boaters help prevent the spread of zebra mussels:
*Remove any visible mud, plants, fish or animals before transporting equipment
*Eliminate water from equipment before transporting
*Clean and dry anything that came in contact with water (Boats, trailers, equipment, clothing, dogs, etc.)
*Never release plants, fish or animals into a body of water unless they came out of that body of water.
Additional information can be found at the www.protectyourwaters.net and www.100thMeridian.org.
In a perfect world I'm sure this would help....
(Even if you reach all the ***boat forum peeps) I just don't have much faith in all tri state boaters adhearing to this.

lewiville
01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
ahhhhhhhhhh crap! Im moving!

77Woodbridge
01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
After trying to find some data to support my opinion that it's not a big deal I found more data to the contrary. Consistently contrary. I Googled, "Zebra Mussel damage to Lake Ontario and found volumes, but like this concise article from MSU most: http://newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/1911/content.htm
Just when I was coming to grips with global warming ...another eco disaster.:(

DaveA
01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
We've got ZM's plus hydrilla is showing up in some coves here. I don't know which is worse for the power company that runs this chain of lakes....wait....it's all bad.
Which is all the more reason we need to do our part and run with open headers and 2cycle mixes. Save the environment!

HocusPocus
01-10-2007, 10:55 PM
did some google searches and found this
http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/images06/zebra-mussel-cart.gif
This shopping cart resided in zebra mussel-infested waters for a few months. FESS engineer Anne Lucietto says the mussels will attach to almost any hard surface--"which could be a rock, a pipe...themselves. YUCK
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/zebramussels/zemucrayfish.jpg
this can't be good for the other wildlife in the area.
http://www.caleuche.com/River/Assets/Images/IMG_5370.JPG
shells washed up on the shore, if they are as sharp as mentioned in earlier posts this would not be a good place for kids or anyone else to play. :mad:

2Driver
01-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not worried, I trailer my shopping cart :D :D
I assume this has killed the Marinas in the areas effected. I mean who would keep their boat in the water?

HM
01-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Yes, the Zebra Mussels are very bad news.
What they won't tell you is that they like to stick to human flesh. Particularly female genitalia. And, there are accounts where females have gone to a lake, and a month later, they have a large white bump growing in their genitalia region...and it turns out the zebra mussels are growing under the skin! And once they are in your blood stream, you can never get rid of them...just like herpes!!! They also like to attach around the areola region of women's breasts, especially if they are wearing pasties. The pastie conceals their migration and they attach. And they attach like ticks, where they sink their heads beneath your skin and then lay eggs under the skin. They will also attach to mens' penises, but will quickly release when exposed to female genitalia.
All this is very true and people should be scared. The only solution is to never visit any lake ever again. Sell your boats and find a different hobby. Again, never ever ever go to any lakes or rivers again. That is the ONLY answer. :idea:

Old Texan
01-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Main concern here folks is how will this effect the Later's sunken boat?

HM
01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Main concern here folks is how will this effect the Later's sunken boat?
You don't know? Zebra mussels sunk later's boat. It is a big cover-up by the government to make later look like a moron. :D

Trailer Park Casanova
01-11-2007, 12:50 PM
The way that they would be removed is to drain the alke, then where the Colorado flows through the lake bed conduct sectional heat kills,, then re-fill the lake.
Parker strip the same thing.
Only way that works.
It'll spread to other lakes now as well.

ratso
01-11-2007, 12:51 PM
What they won't tell you is that they like to stick to human flesh. Particularly female genitalia. And, there are accounts where females have gone to a lake, and a month later, they have a large white bump growing in their genitalia region...and it turns out the zebra mussels are growing under the skin! And once they are in your blood stream, you can never get rid of them...just like herpes!!! They also like to attach around the areola region of women's breasts, especially if they are wearing pasties. The pastie conceals their migration and they attach. And they attach like ticks, where they sink their heads beneath your skin and then lay eggs under the skin. They will also attach to mens' penises, but will quickly release when exposed to female genitalia.
All this is very true and people should be scared. The only solution is to never visit any lake ever again. Sell your boats and find a different hobby. Again, never ever ever go to any lakes or rivers again. That is the ONLY answer. :idea:
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

diggler
01-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I grew up in Monroe, MI on the shores of Lake Erie. I remember prior to 1990 when the beaches were actually nice. Now there are piles of sharp shells up to 2feet thick at the waters edge. It sucks Here's a little excerpt about the damage they can do:
In 1989, the town of Monroe, MI lost its water supply for three days due to massive numbers of zebra mussels clogging the city’s water-intake pipeline. Since then, water users such as power companies, steel plants, city water suppliers, and golf courses, have had to retool their water-intake systems or apply chemical treatment to prevent zebra mussel related problems. Swimming areas in Lake Erie have had increased costs associated with removing tons of mussel shell that wash up on beaches during storms.
Now here's another not on the ecological effects...
The Bad:
Since zebra mussels became established in Lake Erie, water clarity has increased from 6 inches to 30 feet in some areas. Unfortunately, the material removed from the water consists of other live animals and algae that supply food for larval fish and other invertebrates. In response to this changing food supply, populations of some animals have begun to decline.
The Good:
Many native fish, birds, and other animals eat young and adult zebra mussels. Migratory ducks have changed their flight patterns in response to zebra mussel colonies. Lake sturgeon feed heavily on zebra mussels, as do yellow perch, freshwater drum, catfish, and all the sunfish. The increase in aquatic plants provides excellent nursery areas for young fish and other animals, leading to increases in smallmouth bass populations in Lake St. Clair and the Huron River

HM
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
It is true...I would b.s. you man. Everyone should stop going to the Colorado river immediately!!! Run Away!!! :D

spectras only
01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
The only solution is to never visit any lake ever again. Sell your boats and find a different hobby. :idea:
I guess we'll see zebra mussels planted in your [ canyon lake ] lake , so you could have the whole lake to yourself :idea: :D

Seadog
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
I am reading a trade magazine that discusses the problem of zebra mussels causing taste and odor problems with drinking water. The mussels are not a major disaster like a tornado or earthquake, but in the end, they may cost our pocketbooks more than either one. And each body of water may see a change in the aquatic life it supports due to them.

2Driver
01-11-2007, 02:36 PM
What they won't tell you is that they like to stick to human flesh. Particularly female genitalia. :
THAT explains the fishy smell

beaverretriever
01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Tumble weeds are from Russia.
Carp are from Asia.
And now fricken clams from Europe. :mad:
Well we have made it through others, hopfully we will make it through this.

ratso
01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Tumble weeds are from Russia.
Carp are from Asia.
And now fricken clams from Europe. :mad:
Well we have made it through others, hopfully we will make it through this.
Somebody brought Tumbleweeds here???:confused:

BEER&WATER
01-11-2007, 06:57 PM
well if they get into the water system then how do they treat the water once it is in the system or do the come into the home/ pool /etc ( clorine maybe )

77Woodbridge
01-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Way too funny! I love this (virtual) place!