PDA

View Full Version : Cav plates

stilettovdrive
07-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Is there anything i should know, before i make the caviation plates for my boat???
Do they function with hydraulics overthere, or by simple adjusting screws???
The viking.
:rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

FlatRat
07-06-2003, 03:07 AM
SVD,
On Flats, they are controlled with a handle and or footpedal.There is a control rod that runs from the handle/pedal assembley to the back.There's a lot boats to check out before you start the fabrication part of it.Build it stout.I think most control rods are 1/2" S.S.Have fun and kick butt.
FlatRat
[ July 06, 2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: FlatRat ]

stilettovdrive
07-06-2003, 04:10 AM
Thanks, flatrat, What does "stout" mean???, Rigid, or stiff, or something like that.
Is 10mm. aluminium thick enough??
I would like the plates in three pieces, Right, left, and one in the middle,
That must mean three handles or what??By the way, in danish cav plates is called " trimflaps"
Thanks,The viking.
[ July 06, 2003, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: stilettovdrive ]

GofastRacer
07-06-2003, 05:45 AM
"Stout" means strong, 3/16 thick alumunum for the plates is adequate, 1/2 inch control rod. You only need two plates unless you have a runner bottom, one handle and one pedal. Check out pages 137,138,139 for the parts you will need, also check my profile you will see an example!. :)
Rex (http://www.rex-marine.com/)

DUCKY
07-06-2003, 05:48 AM
stilettovdrive:
Thanks, flatrat, What does "stout" mean???, Rigid, or stiff, or something like that.
Is 10mm. aluminium thick enough??
I would like the plates in three pieces, Right, left, and one in the middle,
That must mean three handles or what??By the way, in danish cav plates is called " trimflaps"
Thanks,The viking. Unless you are running a ton of power and speed, 10mm would be over kill. Most cav plates are 3/16" aluminum. Some are 1/4" and I have seen some guys run 1/8" stainless. I would go with standard 3/16" in the material of your choice. 3/16" is a happy medium between flexability and strength. The thicker the plate, the harder it is to push down the pedal.