PDA

View Full Version : rudder update

e-ticket
10-27-2002, 09:50 PM
My boat presently has a bronze cruiser rudder with the old style support. Should upgrade the rudder to steel cruiser with top support plate and flange bearing rather than the way it is set up now? 21' Howard.
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/BP_10_27_2002_93441_PM.jpg

Rexone
10-27-2002, 10:12 PM
If your boat goes over about 65-70 I'd strongly recommend an upgrade. The side load is tremendous at higher speeds especially with a heavier boat such as yours. You can view the parts here. If you need help please call or email.
http://www.rexmar.com/page141.html
http://www.rexmar.com/page140.html

e-ticket
10-27-2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks Mike,
I excpect the boat to do over 80--- so how about the steering system? It had a Single rotary. Can I use the Morse 290 single helm or the dual?
Guess I don't really understand the dual system.

Rexone
10-27-2002, 10:45 PM
If it doesn't go too much over 80 you'll be ok with a Morse style system. If it goes like 95 I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen guys do it but the manufactuer doesn't recommend it and it just flat make's be nervous at those speeds.
I would at least update to the dual C290 and get a steel tiller arm as well (those bronze ones tend to break off at the least opportune moments)! If you've got the room behind the dash and are changing helms anyway you might consider the dual rack style instead of the rotary steering. There a bit more rugged.
Morse was bought out by Teleflex a couple years back and most the old Morse designs were discontinued by Teleflex. Hardin Marine now however makes all this stuff in an upgraded version (same configurations as Morse was) made out of stainless. It's really better stuff than the Morse was. Id recommend these parts to you. The Hardin parts are now what appear in our online catalog.
With a good steel rudder, good bearing, a 2 hole steel tiller and dual system you should be ready to rock again.

Rexone
10-27-2002, 10:48 PM
A little more on the dual system to address your question. It simply has 2 cables instead of one. Recommend that you route them "opposing" so one is pushing while the other pulls. One goes up each side of the boat (one cable will be slightly longer than the other this way). It yields the best results in terms of tighter steering.
If you want the ultimate in response and safety however, switch over to chain and cable type steering similar to what most flats run. With the right hardware you can't beat it. For your 80+ use though it's not a necessity. Just my opinion.
[ October 27, 2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

e-ticket
10-27-2002, 11:01 PM
I only have 12" from center of my steering to the side of the boat, so I don't believe I can use the rack and pinion style. On the dual sytem, routing the steering cable down the passenger side, I guess I would have to glass in supports behind the dash and tubes down the passenger side. Is that the way to go about it? This is going to get tough. Going to have to route it behind the gauges also.

Rexone
10-27-2002, 11:07 PM
I've seen many ways to anchor the cables including glassed in supports, little fabricated brackets thru bolted though the gunnel, etc. Also have seen tywraps with the screw mounting holes used successfully. Use enough of those and it won't move and its a pretty easy option compared to some others.

e-ticket
10-27-2002, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions on other support methods for the cables. Since all of the new carpet and headliner are installed, I really hate the thought of fiberglassing now. From my pic, what typr of connection to the tiller arm would you recommend?

Rexone
10-27-2002, 11:27 PM
I would recommend a dual tiller like on page 141 and a connection kit for each cable (300618) like in the bottom corner of page 99. These are swivel joints that allow free movement of the cable as it changes direction off the tiller.
http://www.rexmar.com/page99.html

e-ticket
10-27-2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks Mike,
I will be calling you shortly. I think I will be able to handle it now. Thanks again!

Rexone
10-27-2002, 11:32 PM
You will also need the 300617 mounting kit and the 64480 tubes if you don't have them. I'll print this thread out for Bob and you can contact him if you need more info or wish to order. Thanks