PDA

View Full Version : strut placement

21rayson
06-02-2003, 05:41 AM
reglassed bottom of boat on project 21' raysoncraft. what is ideal strut placement it had a 12 degree that was 13 inches from the back of the transom. now i have a 8 degree strut. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/155holes_pluged1-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/155gelcoat_sprayed_1-med.JPG

DUCKY
06-02-2003, 08:04 PM
I can't say exactly, but the end of the strut barrel should be about 20-22 inches from the transom, and this will probably put your v drive about 96-100 inches from the transom. These would be the specs for a boat with a good amount of power. If you are gonna be doing more skiing and cruising, and it's not as important to go fast (unlikely event...) putting the strut barrel about 17-19 inches from the transom will make for a nicer riding, quicker planing, at the cost of more wetted area at top speed. Check with some other peeps before you drill any holes though...
Good Luck!

VD CRUISER
06-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Don't know much about the Rayson's but I put my 7.5 deg strut 23.5" from the transom,(21' Howard), and it works great at all speeds. That put the V-drive mount plate about 110" from the transom. It runs with the fin partially out of the water at top speed. I'm sure some of the Rayson guys know where it should be. Real important to get it in the right spot.

Rexone
06-03-2003, 06:14 PM
PM A Sneed. I hear he has worked on a couple Raysons and can probably help you. :)

DUCKY
06-03-2003, 07:29 PM
VD CRUISER:
Don't know much about the Rayson's but I put my 7.5 deg strut 23.5" from the transom,(21' Howard), and it works great at all speeds. That put the V-drive mount plate about 110" from the transom. It runs with the fin partially out of the water at top speed. I'm sure some of the Rayson guys know where it should be. Real important to get it in the right spot. Damn! You must have some motor in that thing!!!

SK48
06-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Rexone:
PM A Sneed. I hear he has worked on a couple Raysons and can probably help you. :) Rexone, Sneed is just a Super Stock flatbottom guy. Probably forgot all about v-bottom Rayson Crafts.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-03-2003, 08:23 PM
SK48Sneed is just a Super Stock flatbottom guy. Probably forgot all about v-bottom Rayson Crafts. [/QB]Especially after wheeling the pink Rush all weekend!! :)

Rexone
06-03-2003, 08:49 PM
SK48:
Rexone:
PM A Sneed. I hear he has worked on a couple Raysons and can probably help you. :) Rexone, Sneed is just a Super Stock flatbottom guy. Probably forgot all about v-bottom Rayson Crafts. his buddy Rudy probably remembers a thing or 2 though. wink

21rayson
06-03-2003, 10:08 PM
thanks all for the info i think i'll put at 22" from the back.it has to be better then what i had.hey rex one is that spencer t rudder that you sell a stock item or is it made as you order and what is the turn around time.

Rexone
06-03-2003, 10:15 PM
21rayson:
thanks all for the info i think i'll put at 22" from the back.it has to be better then what i had.hey rex one is that spencer t rudder that you sell a stock item or is it made as you order and what is the turn around time. made to order right now. about 1-2 weeks lead unchrome, longer chrome. :)