PDA

View Full Version : Chris Webber to sign with the Lakers?

dmontzsta
01-11-2007, 08:56 PM
:) He went on the TNT halftime show talking about his buyout. When they asked him who he was looking at, he first said "The Lakers look really good, the have a winning tradition, one of the best players with Kobe, they are playing really good ball right now and have one of the best coaches". Sources say he is looking at the Lakers, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Orlando and Detroit. The Lakers would waive one of their players (hopefully Williams or McKie). Webber is not about the money, just contending for a title. The Lakers can offer him 1.8 mill, which is second best to Orlando.
When they asked Phil Jackson he responded with "We are always exploring options, all I do is look at tape and give my opinion, we have to let Kupchek do his job".
Personally, I think he would be a good addition. He would fit in with the triangle, very nice. Especially with his playing style and body type. He bring a bit of experience and toughness that the team needs.
Brown / Bynum / Turiaf
Webber / Cook /
Odom / Walton / Radmanovic
Kobe / Evans / Vujacic
Smush / Farmar / Williams
With the Lakers obviously not in need of Mihm's services, they would be able to extend the contract next year, if things work out...paying Webber a solid amount since Mihm is overpaid. If they drop McKie, they lose his contract next year and he is paid alot as well. They would be well under the cap space, with Webber accepting the Vet minimum.

dmontzsta
01-11-2007, 11:57 PM
The Lakers listened to Webber's interview on TNT's halftime show and heard him mention the Lakers first when he discussed other teams like Orlando, Detroit, Miami and San Antonio that he likes.
"We'll discuss his desire to be one of the five teams he's considering," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said in a phone interview "It sounds like he wants to move quickly. We'll discuss it as an organization tomorrow and go from there."
Webber said he'd like to have a deal done Monday, but he won't clear waivers until Tuesday.
"I think the Lakers are great," Webber told TNT. "They play with the ball and the triangle offense is probably the greatest offense. They have a great coach and probably the best player in the league in Kobe (Bryant)."
http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_notes_12.391440d.html

SHOTKALLIN
01-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Webber is the donovan Mcnab of the nba. Looks good on paper but he chokes when it counts.
just my .02

acatitude
01-12-2007, 07:05 AM
webber will sign with detriot

a catered life
01-12-2007, 07:12 AM
:mad: don't sign that bumb he's not worth $.02 he 34, has knee problems, does not seem to me to have that winning spirit anymore, and has never play a complete season (injury free)
we dont need another gary payton on the bench:idea:

Old Texan
01-12-2007, 07:25 AM
He's all into his new "Rap Career", music is his new passion which to me spells: Distraction. Like he needs more distraction.
Webber ain't a winner, he's a flake and is approaching the "over the hill" stage of flakedom.
Kupchak ain't stupid, he'll pass.

dmontzsta
01-12-2007, 07:59 AM
webber will sign with detriot
He must have lied to the world, cause he came right out and said "that is not true" when he was asked. The interview is on NBA.com.
The Lakers do not need Webber in crunch time, the have Kobe and Lamar along with a few others that can handle it. They need a vet who will suck up the rebounds and be a little more aggressive inside.
We shall see.

dmontzsta
01-12-2007, 08:05 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep12jan12,1,3500163.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers&ctrack=1&cset=true

acatitude
01-12-2007, 08:34 AM
webbers a liability at this point. not even a shell of the player he was before the knee injury. Im afraid he is done.

dmontzsta
01-12-2007, 08:47 AM
webbers a liability at this point. not even a shell of the player he was before the knee injury. Im afraid he is done.
Well, for a little over 1 million, he is a STEAL. The Lakers would lose McKie who is paid too much, is done and just sits on the bench. They would gain a big body for free basically, without giving up any over their depth. :) Good deal for Chris and the Lakers.
Even if they dont get him, no big deal. But, why not steal a vet like Webber.

dmontzsta
01-12-2007, 09:46 AM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3818/webberlage3.jpg
:D

AirtimeLavey
01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
He could be decent in the role you said in your first post, but I've not been a big fan. He's been an underachiever for too long. Had a lot of potential, but didn't really deliver on a consistent basis for one reason or another. I wouldn't care either way, although we def. could use the help up front. Hopefully, this recent slump is a short term season cycle. Looking forward to getting LO back.

dmontzsta
01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
He could be decent in the role you said in your first post, but I've not been a big fan. He's been an underachiever for too long. Had a lot of potential, but didn't really deliver on a consistent basis for one reason or another. I wouldn't care either way, although we def. could use the help up front. Hopefully, this recent slump is a short term season cycle. Looking forward to getting LO back.
yeah, I agree 100%. It is a no brainer, the Lakers are deep and they would not change their depth at all, they would just be adding another good role player. He can shoot the mid range, be strong around the hoop and his passing and D is good. Something we have been waiting for in Kwame Brown.
I do miss watching Odom play, there is not another player like him in the league today. Hopefully he can get back into the groove quick! I heard he could be back within 1 week. He is already practicing again and shooting the ball around, basically, they are trying to see if it swells up.

AirtimeLavey
01-12-2007, 12:27 PM
yeah, I agree 100%. It is a no brainer, the Lakers are deep and they would not change their depth at all, they would just be adding another good role player. He can shoot the mid range, be strong around the hoop and his passing and D is good. Something we have been waiting for in Kwame Brown.
I do miss watching Odom play, there is not another player like him in the league today. Hopefully he can get back into the groove quick! I heard he could be back within 1 week. He is already practicing again and shooting the ball around, basically, they are trying to see if it swells up.
True. Then there's the money thing. I wonder if he'd go for what we could offer.

dmontzsta
01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
True. Then there's the money thing. I wonder if he'd go for what we could offer.
Well, he has said it is not about the money, which it clearly is not. He is going to have to take the vet minimum wherever he goes. Actually, the Lakers are the second team that can offer him the most money, with Miami being number 1. Most people are saying he would choose LA first, since he would have a starting role immediately, with the injuries the Lakers have right now. Even with Odom back, he would still be starting, since Odom prefers the SF role more. With the Lakers, Webber would make lots of money off endorsements/advertising as well.
This is what it would look like.
Brown / Bynum / Turiaf
Webber / Cook / Turiaf
Odom / Walton / Radmanovic
Kobe / Evans / Vujacic
Smush / Farmar / Williams
Walton would lose his starting position, most likely. But, he would probably win sixth man of the year with the way he has been playing. The way Phil has been running the show, there is plenty of playing time for everyone, except Williams and McKie. But, McKie would be gone and everyone has said the only reason the Lakers signed Williams and are holding on to him, is because it is KGs cousin and they want that lure.
One thing that is good about being a great team, is everyone wants to play for you. Remember Payton, Malone, Shaq, Kobe? that was an all star line up there. :)
BTW: You do not hear anyone wanting to go to the clippers! :D

dmontzsta
01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
EL SEGUNDO--With Chris Webber possibly 36 hours away from joining a new team, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he spoke with the free-agent forward Saturday night and added, ``I will say that we were both pleased with the conversation.’’
``He’s got some decisions to make and I respect that,’’ Jackson said. ``I just asked him how he’s doing, what the nature of his health is and what he’s looking for in a change of teams here.’’
Webber talked Saturday to both Jackson and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak. The former five-time All-Star was released Thursday by Philadelphia, which bought out the $43 million left on his contract, and will clear waivers Tuesday.
The Lakers can offer Webber, who turns 34 on March 1, a contract for the prorated veteran’s minimum ($1.178 million for the full season) and would have to release a player to make room on the 15-man roster.
They also would have to fit Webber into the rotation once forward Lamar Odom returns from a knee injury later this month. There are no assurances about the role Webber, who has started all but two games in his 14-year career, would play with the Lakers.
``That’s some of the things we had to talk about - - his playing ability, the time that he wants and some of the things he would like to have,’’ Jackson said. ``He said really he just wants to feel like he’s a part, feel like he has an important part in a team.
``I told him I think that he would if he came here.’’
Webber’s agent, Aaron Goodwin, didn’t return phone or e-mail messages Sunday. Webber reportedly has narrowed his list of teams to Detroit, the Lakers, Miami and Dallas.
The Lakers also have to feel comfortable with Webber’s health. Jackson suggested that the condition of Webber’s knees wasn’t as much of a concern as the right foot injury that sidelined him earlier this season.
Even so, Webber logged more minutes on the floor last season (2,893) than ever before in his career. Jackson said Webber reminded him of that fact in their conversation.
``He looks to be moving OK,’’ Jackson added. ``He had a foot problem this year. That’s what we were curious about, obviously. But he says he’s doing really well.’’
Webber has averaged 11 points, 8.3 rebounds and shot 38.7 percent in 18 games this season. According to the Web site 82games.com, 57 percent of Webber’s shot attempts have been jumpers. His passing skills, though, would fit with the triangle offense.
Forward Luke Walton was asked if the Lakers would be well served adding a player such as Webber.
``We’ve got injuries,’’ Walton said, ``but as soon as we get those guys back and if we can keep growing as a team, I think we have a legitimate shot at doing some damage in the playoffs with the guys we have right now.’’
A starting line up of:
Brown
Webber
Odom
Kobe
Smush
with a bench of:
Bynum/Turiaf
Radman/Cook
Walton/Radman
Evans/Vujacic
Farmar/Williams
Would be pretty sick. The Lakers would lose nothing and gain Webber. We shall see how it goes, the insiders are saying it is down to the Pistons and Lakers.

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I hope he goes East........
It's bad enough the Suns can't ever get past the WC Finals, they don't need the Lakers to get better for free.

dmontzsta
01-14-2007, 10:28 PM
I hope he goes East........
It's bad enough the Suns can't ever get past the WC Finals, they don't need the Lakers to get better for free.
:)
It is a nail biter right now. If he is smart, he will go with the Lakers. He should look hard at Flip Saunder's breaking down and the players not showing up for practice, there is obviously something about to explode in D town.
An independent reporter on the Lakers forums says, basically Webber wants to be a part of the team and get playing time. He is looking for settle with a team until retirement. He is accepting the vet minimum and then would like the MLE after the first year. The Lakers could offer this since they would be losing Mihm, Mckie and Grants contracts after this year.
BTW: The Suns already have to worry about the Lakers, they are better than last year and certainly took the Suns to the edge.:idea:

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
:)
BTW: The Suns already have to worry about the Lakers, they are better than last year and certainly took the Suns to the edge.:idea:
They're both better, Stoudemire is healthy and Jalen Rose gives them a deeper bench. Nash is still MVP material.
I've always liked Webber, I can't believe the Maloof's are letting him walk. I know they had a huge campaign a couple of years ago with billboards asking him not to leave. Maybe they should give him free reign in the Playboy Lounge for a couple of weekends. :idea:

dmontzsta
01-14-2007, 10:44 PM
They're both better, Stoudemire is healthy and Jalen Rose gives them a deeper bench. Nash is still MVP material.
I've always liked Webber, I can't believe the Maloof's are letting him walk. I know they had a huge campaign a couple of years ago with billboards asking him not to leave. Maybe they should give him free reign in the Playboy Lounge for a couple of weekends. :idea:
Wow, you are a little behind my friend. :)
Jalen Rose has come out and said he wants his contract bought out by the Suns, he will not be there much longer.
Webber left the Kings about two years ago, he has been playing for the 76ers and they just bought out his contract and now he is looking for a new team (Lakers or Pistons).
BTW: Jalen Rose was originally going to sign with the Lakers. Now I bet he wishes he had, especially since he and Webber are friends.

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Wow, you are a little behind my friend. :)
Jalen Rose has come out and said he wants his contract bought out by the Suns, he will not be there much longer.
Webber left the Kings about two years ago, he has been playing for the 76ers and they just bought out his contract and now he is looking for a new team (Lakers or Pistons).
BTW: Jalen Rose was originally going to sign with the Lakers. Now I bet he wishes he had, especially since he and Webber are friends.
Wow, I didn't know he was gone. I guess I haven't seen a Kings or 76'rs game and noticed.
When did Rose say that? I haven't seen that in our local news. I assume he's not getting enough playing time???

dmontzsta
01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
RealGM isnt a real reliable source, but if they are bringing it up, there must be some sort of a buzz.
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44194/20070112/second_buyout_this_season_coming_soon_for_jalen_ro se/

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 11:00 PM
I tried to post a link but it didn't work. There's an interview from last week on the Suns website. He seems happy to play with Nash and have a shot at a championship.

dmontzsta
01-14-2007, 11:02 PM
A basketball? sweet! :D

acatitude
01-14-2007, 11:16 PM
D.. lol ... webber has never played any defense, so dont look for it to start now or youll be real disappointed.

dmontzsta
01-15-2007, 12:05 AM
D.. lol ... webber has never played any defense, so dont look for it to start now or youll be real disappointed.
He will fit in perfect with the current Lakers then. :D
I can say, I miss Odom. It really shows he is truely #2 on this team.

a catered life
01-15-2007, 11:39 AM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3818/webberlage3.jpg
:D
you should be banned for posting that picture:D webber is a waste for us and to try to learn the offense at this part in the season will be to much for him

Flyinbowtie
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
blowncarrera nailed it. To be very kind, defense was never Webbers' strong suit.
Being a Kings fan, I'd like to see the Lakers sign him because he won't make them any stronger.:) IMHO he hasn't been the same since the knee surgery, and although I loved to watch him play back in the day, the day is over. Geoff Petrie is one smart mofo when it comes to extracting talent from people, then sending them on their way.
He did so with Webber...

AirtimeLavey
01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
ESPN is reporting that Webber went w/Detroit. He's from there. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done in LA, but we've had enough of mediocre, underachieving. Radman is doing that for us now. I hope he finds himself soon.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2731833
We need to get healed and build some momentum and consistency. It'll be a tough game tonight as the Heat looks like they're starting to get it going.

dmontzsta
01-15-2007, 12:32 PM
yeah, he is going to Detroit.
Reports are he wanted a starting role and Jackson told him he would have to work his way in, once Odom and Brown came back. You know how PJ rolls. Detroit is shipping off two of three big men and guaranteeing him a starting roll. They will be shipping off either Dale Davis, Nazr or McDyess. I think that is a bad move to get rid of up and coming players and bank on Webber.
Oh well, the Lakers are still the same either way.

acatitude
01-15-2007, 02:34 PM
yeah, he is going to Detroit.
Reports are he wanted a starting role and Jackson told him he would have to work his way in, once Odom and Brown came back. You know how PJ rolls. Detroit is shipping off two of three big men and guaranteeing him a starting roll. They will be shipping off either Dale Davis, Nazr or McDyess. I think that is a bad move to get rid of up and coming players and bank on Webber.
Oh well, the Lakers are still the same either way.
dam buddy you do crack me up you homer.... it was ok to demote walton and unload some folks for Webber, now that he is going someplace else they are crazy to unload players for him.... lol, you are to funny man, I love it:D
I wish he would have signed with the lakers, it would have made your team worse. your lucky you didnt get him, like i said I would have taken walton straight up for webber anyday. say thank you to the bb gods that he went to detriot. see post #4....... thank you:D

acatitude
01-15-2007, 02:36 PM
blowncarrera nailed it. To be very kind, defense was never Webbers' strong suit.
Being a Kings fan, I'd like to see the Lakers sign him because he won't make them any stronger.:) IMHO he hasn't been the same since the knee surgery, and although I loved to watch him play back in the day, the day is over. Geoff Petrie is one smart mofo when it comes to extracting talent from people, then sending them on their way.
He did so with Webber...
and peja and jackson and a couple before them, and im thinking bibby, miller and or artest are next in line..Miller gets my vote , what a slug

dmontzsta
01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
dam buddy you do crack me up you homer.... it was ok to demote walton and unload some folks for Webber, now that he is going someplace else they are crazy to unload players for him.... lol, you are to funny man, I love it:D
I wish he would have signed with the lakers, it would have made your team worse. your lucky you didnt get him, like i said I would have taken walton straight up for webber anyday. say thank you to the bb gods that he went to detriot. see post #4....... thank you:D
homer rules.
Demoting Walton would not have been bad at all. In fact I would bet money if that happened, Walton would win the sixth man award, he is that good.
I do think the Pistons are crazy, it would basically be like the Lakers dumping Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum to bring on Webber and bank on him to win.