PDA

View Full Version : Looks like LA is getting a new soccer player!!!

Nord
01-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Futbol anyone???
Rumor has it he signed for for a LOT OF MONEY!!!!!!!
I'll give you a hint.......
Bend it like____________
~NORD~

PHX ATC
01-12-2007, 06:19 AM
I heard $250 MILLION for 5 years...if that's true, that's stupid money. I'm not saying that he's a crappy soccer player (here we go with the anti soccer comments), but just that I can't see any single person in sports that is worth $50M a year!
He's not going to have the ROI that they think he will.
I s'pose now I'll have to take a field trip to LA so my daughter can see him play in a game. Bad Voodoo, we're staying with you!:)

shueman
01-12-2007, 07:05 AM
I heard $250 MILLION for 5 years...if that's true, that's stupid money. I'm not saying that he's a crappy soccer player (here we go with the anti soccer comments), but just that I can't see any single person in sports that is worth $50M a year!
He's not going to have the ROI that they think he will.
I s'pose now I'll have to take a field trip to LA so my daughter can see him play in a game. Bad Voodoo, we're staying with you!:)
ONLY $50MM is salary for playing....everything else is fringe bene's....:)
I think it's GREAT....akin to Gretsky coming to the Kings... :cool:

NOTALENT
01-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Geez...and they wonder why theres poverty....:rolleyes: Thats just plain stupid money.

lilrick
01-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Geez.. Thats just plain stupid money.
Especially for an imported sport like soccer!! The vast majority of Americans don't care for soccer anyway.

Old Texan
01-12-2007, 07:28 AM
That money is just like the money that Steve Young and Hershell Walker signed for with the old USFL. Sounds good for media purposes but if the league folds or doesn't make money, the player never sees it. If it's guaranteed somebody's smokin' crack......:eek:

jdogginla
01-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Majority of money....roughly 200 of it is from sponsorships......i.e endorsements and image fees from companies that are associated with the league. He is an international sports figure and companies will pay the money to have him associated with american products. This contract is not like your normal NFL or MLB contract where they get a salary for their playing services only.
It's alot of money but get ready for D.B mania.....

yopengo
01-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Yes but.... they quadrupled season ticket sales the first six hours after the announcement. Merchandise sales will go crazy

dmontzsta
01-12-2007, 08:00 AM
I will be attending games for sure. I dont know if any other MLS team will be able to compete against the Galaxy now.

Desert Rat
01-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Stupid money is right..... IMO nobody is really worth that kind of money, that is of course unless they're the person that found the cure for cancer. Damn it's a GAME for petes sake and I am a fan but it's for amusment...... What a world we live in!

yopengo
01-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Gretzky did it for Hockey (the greatest sport) and they hope Beckham will do it for the MLS.

THATJEFFGUY
01-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Almost 1 MILLION a WEEK..just to kick a ball around. Now that's ridiculous !

AirtimeLavey
01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Rediculous. One player isn't going to make soccer as popular in the US as it is overseas - that was one quote I heard yesterday. He'll get a lot of attention for a while, but soccer's still soccer. Fun to play, boring to watch. My daughter's games are fun to watch. Otherwise, it's like trying to watch a Clippers game......not much direction in it.
Soccer's been trying for a couple DECADES now to break through to mainstream America, and it hasn't happened. As for season ticket sales, yeah they quadrupled or whatever their sales yesterday, but that was what, from under 500 to over 2000? Whatever.
It's cool for soccer fans, but then even they know that it's more about his celebrity than his current playing level. He's not even a starter for Real Madrid. Hype. Those agents did a hellova sales/snow job. I guess his skills will be good for the MLS, though. And what if Beck gets hurt?
Bottomline, it's cool that he's coming, it's just incredibly stupid the money they're paying him.