PDA

View Full Version : Apple laptop question:

Trailer Park Casanova
01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
How do you change the print size and type?
Thanks.
We're out on the dunes,, 50 MPH 33 deg F winds.
Rode themega big dunes with Big Guns today.
E ticket white knuckles ride.
Off road ace took a huge header but rode away unscathed.
Drank lots of beer too.

FryJet
01-12-2007, 11:34 PM
By print size and type are you talking about how it looks on the screen? Do you want to see this as apposed to this?
I found this on Apples site.
Here are ways to change text size:
Select the text you want to resize, click Fonts in the toolbar, and select a size for your text.
To change text size in one-point increments, choose Format > Font > Bigger or Format > Font > Smaller.
You can also add Bigger and Smaller icons to the toolbar. Choose View > Customize Toolbar, drag the icons to the toolbar, and click Done.
F.J.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks.
A bit getting used to, but Mac seems street ahead of windows.
Appreciate the help. Have to try it several more times,, doesn't seem to work, we'll get it.

TheCarDudes
01-13-2007, 07:29 AM
1. Choose Preferences from the Safari menu and click Advanced.
2. Select the checkbox to never use fonts smaller than the selected size.
3. Choose a font size from the pop-up menu.
I suggest that you try 14 or 18 for the type font size.
Geo

Seadog
01-13-2007, 08:17 AM
You can also go into the system preferences, click on display and reset the resolution to a smaller size. (less pixels). Changing the font will increase the size of some items and not others. A minor change in resolution will make a big change in your ability to read things. Play around with the fonts and resolution until you get a combo you like. Once you get use to Macs, it is hard to deal with Windows.

Warlockjer
01-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Aw, don't ya just love MACS!!??:) :)

Trailer Park Casanova
01-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the instructions, appreciate the help.
I tell ya, Mac is the finest kine way to go.
Worth the few extra bux.
Verizon wireless web service works excellent out here in Death Valley.

INSman
01-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the instructions, appreciate the help.
I tell ya, Mac is the finest kine way to go.
Worth the few extra bux.
Verizon wireless web service works excellent out here in Death Valley.
We need to figure how well if at all it works in Havasu :D

TheCarDudes
01-13-2007, 10:20 AM
I would not even attempt the Verizon wireless in Havasu at your house. I only get 1 bar of service and usually miss about 80% of the call at your house. Nextel has 3 to 4 bars at your house and most of Havasu. Verizon subleases use of a local provider and it is shetchy at best.
I don't know if Nextel has the wireless card but it would be a much better choice.

bigq
01-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I would not even attempt the Verizon wireless in Havasu at your house. I only get 1 bar of service and usually miss about 80% of the call at your house. Nextel has 3 to 4 bars at your house and most of Havasu. Verizon subleases use of a local provider and it is shetchy at best.
I don't know if Nextel has the wireless card but it would be a much better choice.
Yes through Sprint Network I believe.
oh yea..MAC sucks:D

INSman
01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Probably the VoIP dealio I was telling we were talking about if and when they get the 25 mile WiFi site up.

TheCarDudes
01-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Yes through Sprint Network I believe.
oh yea..MAC sucks:D
2 kinds of computer users.
1. Those that have Macs.
2. Those that want Macs but can't seem to let go of their PC's.
I think it is just a matter of time.

Seadog
01-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I got sold on Macs when I noticed that two of my friends made their living as tech support on PCs, but used Macs at home. After my first Mac at home, and then getting a 386 PC at work with early Windows 3.1, I understood why.

TheCarDudes
01-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Let's face it people. Microsoft Windows was created to try and compete in the world of the "Macintosh Desktop" type of O/S. The only reason that they might have a leg up on Mac now is because of Bill Gates' brilliant marketing in partnering with all the software developers to produce software for Windows based computers instead of Macs.
Basically the computers were being sold because they were a secondary purchase and necessary to run the actual software program that the end user ultimately needed.
Just awesome marketing.
I actually managed a computer store in 1984 when Macintosh was introduced. I used Macs for a few years after that but then switched tp PC's. It was not until just a few weeks ago that I realized, once again, how powerful and easy to use the Macs are. I bought 2 the same day.

INSman
01-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Been a PC guy for life, but this new MacBook Pro is the friggin' sheat :D

bigq
01-13-2007, 04:56 PM
and now it sits with the "Intel Inside" logo and a unix os with a pretty face. I think I'll Gentoo for now.
Steve Jobs is no marketing slouch by any means.;)

Seadog
01-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Most people that down play the Macs are just jealous that they don't have one. Apple has a well established reputation for quality products that are a step above anyone else. The interesting thing that mac owners find out, they are like some cars. They seem higher priced, but when you look at the things that come standard, with how much it costs to do the same thing with brand X, you get a better product with better integrated software for a similar price.
I bought my Dad a Dell basic setup when his old PC fried. I tried to talk him into a Mac mini, but he did not want to change. My brother (in Cali) and my uncle (getting senile) are PC fans. I wind up doing most of his setup and debugging. The Dell software has a version of virus protection that is carp. It keeps asking for a program that is not there. And it puts you in an eternal loop that you cannot get out. You wind up deleting a bunch of files, but then you have to reinstall the software to get virus protection. If I ever get the chance, he is going to a Mac. I finally got him to go DSL. With the intel Mac, I can eventually get him converted.

bigq
01-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Most people that down play the Macs are just jealous that they don't have one. Apple has a well established reputation for quality products that are a step above anyone else. The interesting thing that mac owners find out, they are like some cars. They seem higher priced, but when you look at the things that come standard, with how much it costs to do the same thing with brand X, you get a better product with better integrated software for a similar price.
I bought my Dad a Dell basic setup when his old PC fried. I tried to talk him into a Mac mini, but he did not want to change. My brother (in Cali) and my uncle (getting senile) are PC fans. I wind up doing most of his setup and debugging. The Dell software has a version of virus protection that is carp. It keeps asking for a program that is not there. And it puts you in an eternal loop that you cannot get out. You wind up deleting a bunch of files, but then you have to reinstall the software to get virus protection. If I ever get the chance, he is going to a Mac. I finally got him to go DSL. With the intel Mac, I can eventually get him converted.
uh..no, I have worked on a lot of windows computer and apple computer and they both break just the same. Older apples did put higher grade hardware inside then say an emachine, which is hit and miss. They were smart to Intel based processors, the new chips are the shit.
We just ordered up a few of the Mac pros the other day with the dual Xeon 3 Gs and 4 Gigs of ram, now that should cook. The only thing i wish they still had was SCSI interface instead of the SATA drives. Should be fun though.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-14-2007, 01:02 AM
After years of window flickering, mis-firing, shakey 0n-the-edge operating, all the trojan horse and virus issues, ""send trouble report to Microsoft" bubble poping up all the time, screen freeze ect,, this smooth running Mac is a real eye opener.
Do you have to de-frag and do disc cleanups on Mac's like with Windows?
BTW, the movie editing program on the Mac is right there with Final Cut which IMHO is tits, in fact, better in some ways, and far more user friendly.

bigq
01-14-2007, 08:02 AM
After years of window flickering, mis-firing, shakey 0n-the-edge operating, all the trojan horse and virus issues, ""send trouble report to Microsoft" bubble poping up all the time, screen freeze ect,, this smooth running Mac is a real eye opener.
Do you have to de-frag and do disc cleanups on Mac's like with Windows?
BTW, the movie editing program on the Mac is right there with Final Cut which IMHO is tits, in fact, better in some ways, and far more user friendly.
Usually not with the newer OS unless you are doing a lot of editing and such (the reason people bye a mac). The file system HFS systems and like NTFS with windows does a decent job in keeping the disk defraged. That being said you can and from what I hear you can use idefrag.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/idefrag.html
Maybe a mac expert will chime in.

Seadog
01-14-2007, 09:54 AM
It doesn't hurt to go into disk utility once or twice a year and verify permissions/check disc.

SOCALDETAIL1
01-14-2007, 11:38 PM
I have had my Ti-Powerbook for about 5 years, and I still don't need to upgrade. I have never had a virus or even a damn pop-up. The only pc I own is my phone and I have to do a soft re-start everyday on that because it freezes up?

bigq
01-15-2007, 07:55 AM
I am not going to say windows sucks because it keeps me employed. ;) But, I too am tired of windows so I am trying out different flavors of Linux at the moment. I've tried Mandriva and CentOS. And I just downloaded Debian and plan to try that early next week. I'd never consider a MAC...
Try Gentoo, you can configure it anyway you want and then add in a GUI. More work, but kinda cool.
http://www.gentoo.org

voodoomedman
01-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Verizon phone service in Havasu is great. Yes it is on Mohave wireless's network because they won't release rights to Verizon to build their own. But the phones work everywhere including all of the water. Nextel was great in town (sucked in California) and only worked on the water near town. If your Verizon phone isn't working out there you need to do the star eighty something send dealio to update your network settings. The only drawback is your phone goes into roam mode (you are not charged extra) so you have to dial your phone # instead of *86 to get your voicemail.
Now the wireless cards for the laptops do not work. Those don't work on that network so unless you can somehow get a good enough signal from the tower across the lake in California you are going to need a Sprint or Nextel Card.

phebus
01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Verizon phone service in Havasu is great. Yes it is on Mohave wireless's network because they won't release rights to Verizon to build their own. But the phones work everywhere including all of the water. Nextel was great in town (sucked in California) and only worked on the water near town. If your Verizon phone isn't working out there you need to do the star eighty something send dealio to update your network settings. The only drawback is your phone goes into roam mode (you are not charged extra) so you have to dial your phone # instead of *86 to get your voicemail.
Now the wireless cards for the laptops do not work. Those don't work on that network so unless you can somehow get a good enough signal from the tower across the lake in California you are going to need a Sprint or Nextel Card.
I have had Verizon for years, and have lived in Havasu now for around 7 mos. The Verizon service always worked well for me (although you couldn't use the Verizon features such as *228, and *86). Lately though, the service was getting worse and worse, and I had trouble connecting and recieving calls. I contacted Verizon, to see if they could trouble shoot my problems, and after going through customer service, tech 1 support, and tech 2 support, they told me that the Mohave Wireless cell site was working near capacity, and my cell service from this point on would be spotty at best. They then suggested that I find another provider, and that they would wave my early cancellation fee.
So, I now have Sprint (which works very good here in Havasu), and don't know how well customers with Verizon will do out here in the future. Possibly the Mohave cell site will increase capacity, and that will help, as Verizon told me that they didn't have any future plans to add their own cell site out here.